Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Gran Turismo 5 1.03 Update Adds Mechanical Damage - OUT NOW!

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Can't Be A Prick Online Anymore! 
    Can't Be A Prick Online Anymore! 
    The new 1.03 update adds realistic mechanical damage to Online and Arcade mode from the start, in GT Mode you still need to advance further to unlock it.  HOWEVER, for people not willing to play past level 30ish to see how realistic GT5 can get, you can now do it in Online and Arcade mode. 

The above picture is after a slight bump at around 30 miles per hour, I lost both my wheels, there's also improved damage to showcase this.  This is with the "HEAVY" Setting for Mechanical Damage. So fear not, if some guy is being a fucking dick online...he cannot win by bumper cars now!  

REJOICE!  JOIN THE ONLINE AND FEAR NOT PRICKS WHO BOUNCE OFF OTHER CARS DURING TURNS!
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

Is there a way to turn this off? I still think damage should just be optional. I don't want to have to waste all my credits fixing my cars. I will learn by losing races, not by having to spend all the money I won.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Red12b

but sometimes it's fun if everyone is in on it.

What's the point of owning a 1.5 ton car now?

Oh well looks good at least

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Surkov

play arcade mode, and try sucking less.   ;) 

I kid . 

I'm downloading this right to try it out. I can't wait.  

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Red12b

good stuff anyway, in real races I try to never do the bumper car thing, only when I am fucking around do I do doughnuts and that jazz.
    fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By fripplebubby

Wait, they made this game for years and years and finally, the week after the game comes out, they think, "Hey, maybe we should put damage in?". Oh well, I bet the cars sound real good. 

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By aurahack

The fact that they had to patch out the bumper-car technique from Online Play is dicks, but that's great to hear. I can't wait to have my fixed PS3 so I can finally get around to playing.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond
    @Fripplebubby said:
    Wait, they made this game for years and years and finally, the week after the game comes out, they think, "Hey, maybe we should put damage in?".
    I wouldn't be too surprised if they keep working on the game for weeks or months just to make sure they keep people happy.  It's too important of an IP to kill off through laziness.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By JoelTGM

sounds cool

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By wefwefasdf

Everyone was clamoring for this so it is great they were able to change it so fast. Hopefully I'll be picking this up soon.

Cyborgmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cyborgmatt
    @KaosAngel said:

"  The new 1.03 update adds realistic mechanical damage to Online and Arcade mode from the start, in GT Mode you still need to advance further to unlock it.  HOWEVER, for people not willing to play past level 30ish to see how realistic GT5 can get, you can now do it in Online and Arcade mode.   The above picture is after a slight bump at around 30 miles per hour, I lost both my wheels, there's also improved damage to showcase this.  This is with the "HEAVY" Setting for Mechanical Damage. So fear not, if some guy is being a fucking dick online...he cannot win by bumper cars now!   REJOICE!  JOIN THE ONLINE AND FEAR NOT PRICKS WHO BOUNCE OFF OTHER CARS DURING TURNS! "

Mechanical damage is only available in the online mode.    
    Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

I don't see the option to turn it on in Arcade, or the Options.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bhhawks78
    @Cyborgmatt said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

"  The new 1.03 update adds realistic mechanical damage to Online and Arcade mode from the start, in GT Mode you still need to advance further to unlock it.  HOWEVER, for people not willing to play past level 30ish to see how realistic GT5 can get, you can now do it in Online and Arcade mode.   The above picture is after a slight bump at around 30 miles per hour, I lost both my wheels, there's also improved damage to showcase this.  This is with the "HEAVY" Setting for Mechanical Damage. So fear not, if some guy is being a fucking dick online...he cannot win by bumper cars now!   REJOICE!  JOIN THE ONLINE AND FEAR NOT PRICKS WHO BOUNCE OFF OTHER CARS DURING TURNS! "

Mechanical damage is only available in the online mode.     "
    How many facepalm gifs does this game need?  I don't think I've ever been so baffled by a games creation ever.  Have wanted to buy this about a dozen times but everytime I just find out more insane bullshit about it.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By gamb1t

I pooped a little.

Overwatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Overwatch
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Cyborgmatt said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

...then how the hell is it there for Endurance Races in GT-Mode?  If you played the game and got far you'd know that in a second.  Damn, I can't believe you keep coming out with this bullcrap. 
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Red12b
    @KaosAngel:  
    Wanna game now? 
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Red12b: Working on school work at the moment.  I shall be free in about 12 hours!
    Cyborgmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cyborgmatt
    @KaosAngel said:

" @Cyborgmatt said:

" @KaosAngel said:

...then how the hell is it there for Endurance Races in GT-Mode?  If you played the game and got far you'd know that in a second.  Damn, I can't believe you keep coming out with this bullcrap.  "
    Take a picture of it because you seem to be the only person with mechanical damage in single player apparently. 

Make sure we can see a list of the AI drivers and the red mechanical damage symbols on your car status please.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Cyborgmatt:  

Play past level 25 smart ass, mechanical damage has always been in GT3 and GT4 and has always started with endurance races, it's the entire reason why it's in the game.  Tires don't turn stay red like they normally do and wear completely down, once you progress far enough in GT Mode.  Now, stop trolling the forums because it's getting annoying.   You couldn't back up your claims in the other thread you made, and you've in here trolling again.  I seriously doubt you even play GT5.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dbz1995

Good thing they're listening to their customers-hopefully with a bit more kanoodling and happypoking some more people will be able to get the game they wanted from the beginning.
    @KaosAngel:
     Have you reviewed this game yet? I'm interested in what you want to say.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KaosAngel
    @dbz1995 said:
    " @KaosAngel:  Have you reviewed this game yet? I'm interested in what you want to say. "
    Once you get past the faults, and look at it for what it is...it's the best driving sim on consoles period.  But god damn, it has a really bad first impressions and the game is really crap with grinding...more so than the older games.  The grind for A-Spec is really long...longer than what it was in the older games.  -_- 

Still late teens for A-Spec so I can't judge the F1 and Endurance stuff yet.  Plus, all new Events open up once you get to level 25 and unlock the Endurance Series, Vettel Challenges, F1 Events, etc. 

But dude, it's a bad game...but the absolute best driving sim.
    Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nasos100

man im a ps3 owner and i say this: 

GT5 is not a good game

Cyborgmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cyborgmatt

You posted a video with a pitstop, which doesn't show any mechanical damage. The tyre stuff you talk about is just the tyre-wear setting, I'm talking about proper mechanical damage like the MP has. I haven't unlocked endurance races yet don't have time to grind it out (level 21 atm) but my friend has and he hasn't seen any mechanical damage. Everyone else on the internet, GT-Planet, SA, Neogaf etc are all saying that mechanical damage is in online only so I'm sure you're incorrect.

But if you're so certain that it is in SP then why don't you just do this please: 

@Cyborgmatt  said: 

" Take a picture of it because you seem to be the only person with mechanical damage in single player apparently.  Make sure we can see a list of the AI drivers and the red mechanical damage symbols on your car status please. "

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iam3green

cool damage now : )

AllenV86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AllenV86

i downloaded the pacth installed it and all of a sudden my PS3 broke :-((( don't know if it's age ( is a first gen PS3 bought at release ) or something because of the patch ( cause i read there are problems with the patch for some ppl )

how can i know if it's patch related or not ??? 
    the game started normally after update, but i wanted to see what the update did so i pushed the GT-news thing at the begin page, and all of a sudden the screen got all snowy like and didn't respond anymore ( only the background music continued playing but nothing worked, not even the controller ) so i shut it down manually and restarted it and now it's snowy from the start ( and nothing responds ) restarted it again and now the screen stays black and the PS3 doesn't seem to start up at all ( the light goes green it makes a bit of fan noise and then it goes silent ???

somebody knows what"s happening ???

grtz Allen :-(((

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By JJWeatherman

I can't believe they're patching in essential features, post-launch, for a game that was in development for 6 years.

lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lutonhatter
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " I can't believe they're patching in essential features, post-launch, for a game that was in development for 6 years. "

So which would of you preferred? Them to hold back the feature until GT6? Ship the game even later for a relatively minor feature? Or ship it with the feature in place but buggy?

The patch was around 140MB, so I would assume most of it was already on the shipped disk, it just needed tweeking, or maybe server side stuff first.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#29  Edited By falconer
    @JJWeatherman said:

" I can't believe they're patching in essential features, post-launch, for a game that was in development for 6 years. "

this x1000 

Fuck Polyphony Digital. 

@LutonHatter said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

So which would of you preferred? Them to hold back the feature until GT6? Ship the game even later for a relatively minor feature? Or ship it with the feature in place but buggy?

The patch was around 140MB, so I would assume most of it was already on the shipped disk, it just needed tweeking, or maybe server side stuff first.

"
    Dude, it was in the game in the first place. But being the elitist ass holes that they are, PD put it behind a giant fucking wall. Bull. Shit.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By yakov456
    @Nasos100 said:
    " man im a ps3 owner and i say this:   GT5 is not a good game "
    Was this post about that? People love to come in here and whine, go over to the quicklook and comment there chief.

@ShaggyChu:
    You too tough guy.
    Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Portis

Welp, all we need is an XP system for online racing now. 

Still, this is awesome.

Cyborgmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cyborgmatt
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Cyborgmatt said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

...then how the hell is it there for Endurance Races in GT-Mode?  If you played the game and got far you'd know that in a second.  Damn, I can't believe you keep coming out with this bullcrap.  "
    Told you:  http://www.giantbomb.com/news/new-gran-turismo-5-patch-adds-car-damage-to-online-mode/2772/
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By dagas

I can understand why they have to patch the game considering there is no way they could have finished the game during the short dev cycle that they had...

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Bouke

This system actually works pretty good. I was in a race with 11 other guys and you have to drive clean if you want to win. We were using the light damage option so the car slowly "repairs" itself, which was actually great fun. The first corner still was a bitch though!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.