Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

GT 5. No online, just GT life. My impressions so far.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Jace

Well, I recieved my CE edition of the game. Haven't gotten any of the special cars, nor have I used any online features. I have just gotten A and B licenses and I'm level 7. I have a long way to go. I'm going to arrange this in to a pro/con list and a general note area(Note: I have played only using the DFGT). These are my impressions thus far: 

Pros: 
    - Driving/handling is just.....goddamn....absolutely the best on consoles by miles and miles. 
    - Graphics/effects are great. Premium interiors are great and the city tracks look breath taking. I've only played one night-time course, and it was nice as well, not much experience here though. 
    - GT life interface. I like the layout, and I always feel like I'm progressing.  
    - Content diversity. There is a ton of stuff to do and there are a wide range of types of events as well. 
    - Overall progression of the game(more in notes).

Cons: 
    - Issue with the license tests(will say more in notes) 
    - Loading is hit or miss. Although I've heard loading issues are worse when connected to internet. I'm not connected at all with install, sometimes fast, sometimes slow. 
    - Some might argue that there isn't a lot of "game" here, but I think that is by design, explain in notes. 
    - My DFGT keeps getting off-centered to the right some after a while of play. Patch later? 

Notes: 
     - I love how the game gradually implements more features over time(more damage, better cars, special events etc.) 
    - I think this game is something very unique in overall design. I would call this a DSRPG(Driving simulator RPG). It just feels like a very open game, with a very nice leveling system and great at doing what it does. 

Big issue 
    - The license tests have a trophy system: (X time equals gold, silver, or bronze; X place equals G,S,B). The problem is, they aren't balanced in my opinion, let me explain. 

This is how you expect a G,S,B ranking to go: 
    Gold- Tough, master of the concept. 
    Silver- Understands the objective and completes it well. 
    Bronze- Completed objective with mistakes. 

This is how it has gone for me: 
    Gold- Holy fucking shit, forget it. (lol go around the nurburgring in 3 seoncds =D ) 
    Silver- Goddamn, that was close. (Yo, dawg just overtake these bitches at this corner) 
    Bronze- Herp derp, a paraplegic could make this time. (Hurr maintain a body temp. of roughly 98 degrees) 

But, with all of this said, I'm making it, and loving it. It is all I expected and more. To top it all off, as mentioned somewhere else, the Apex book should be sold by itself, it is the best driving book I've ever laid eyes on. Worth the extra $50 alone. It is that good. The GTR Spec-v model is well made too.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jace

Well, I recieved my CE edition of the game. Haven't gotten any of the special cars, nor have I used any online features. I have just gotten A and B licenses and I'm level 7. I have a long way to go. I'm going to arrange this in to a pro/con list and a general note area(Note: I have played only using the DFGT). These are my impressions thus far: 

Pros: 
    - Driving/handling is just.....goddamn....absolutely the best on consoles by miles and miles. 
    - Graphics/effects are great. Premium interiors are great and the city tracks look breath taking. I've only played one night-time course, and it was nice as well, not much experience here though. 
    - GT life interface. I like the layout, and I always feel like I'm progressing.  
    - Content diversity. There is a ton of stuff to do and there are a wide range of types of events as well. 
    - Overall progression of the game(more in notes).

Cons: 
    - Issue with the license tests(will say more in notes) 
    - Loading is hit or miss. Although I've heard loading issues are worse when connected to internet. I'm not connected at all with install, sometimes fast, sometimes slow. 
    - Some might argue that there isn't a lot of "game" here, but I think that is by design, explain in notes. 
    - My DFGT keeps getting off-centered to the right some after a while of play. Patch later? 

Notes: 
     - I love how the game gradually implements more features over time(more damage, better cars, special events etc.) 
    - I think this game is something very unique in overall design. I would call this a DSRPG(Driving simulator RPG). It just feels like a very open game, with a very nice leveling system and great at doing what it does. 

Big issue 
    - The license tests have a trophy system: (X time equals gold, silver, or bronze; X place equals G,S,B). The problem is, they aren't balanced in my opinion, let me explain. 

This is how you expect a G,S,B ranking to go: 
    Gold- Tough, master of the concept. 
    Silver- Understands the objective and completes it well. 
    Bronze- Completed objective with mistakes. 

This is how it has gone for me: 
    Gold- Holy fucking shit, forget it. (lol go around the nurburgring in 3 seoncds =D ) 
    Silver- Goddamn, that was close. (Yo, dawg just overtake these bitches at this corner) 
    Bronze- Herp derp, a paraplegic could make this time. (Hurr maintain a body temp. of roughly 98 degrees) 

But, with all of this said, I'm making it, and loving it. It is all I expected and more. To top it all off, as mentioned somewhere else, the Apex book should be sold by itself, it is the best driving book I've ever laid eyes on. Worth the extra $50 alone. It is that good. The GTR Spec-v model is well made too.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Aus_azn

I dearly respect your opinion of the licence tests. To gold them is absolutely ridiculous; even their "Example" runs don't gold them. 

I can usually score high Silvers with my Forza 3-honed skills, but to hit the gold is literally an impossible concept. While some are relatively easy to gold, most are nigh-on impossible. It really feels like PD didn't playtest the licence tests before release.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Jackel2072

there are so many things i want to write about Gran Turismo but cant seem to put it into words. I agree though with most of your pro's and Con's. the stuff im struggling with, can you even call GT a game? its a driving simulator with some game aspects built into it, but at the end of the day its a Driving sim first. 2nd this game only appeals to either fans of GT or Driving enthusiasts. it makes no apologies what so ever about what it is. if you dont like it, it really doesn't care. I can't really blame PD for going this route they made the game(?) they wanted to make. thinking about the semantics of GT is really blowing my mind right now lol.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jace
    @Aus_azn:  

I am exactly the same. I usually finish within the same second or tenth of a second as gold, but can never make it. 

Two exceptions: Placing events, I have only gotten silver once. Breaking and stopping runs.
    Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jace
    @Jackel2072:  

Agreed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.