Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Learning to accept defeat

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

From all the racing games I've played its carved into my brain that if your not first, it's basically considered a loss.  In GT5 though I'm beginning to accept that getting in 1st is not always possible.  Sometimes the AI will bump you, or just in general have faster cars.  The learning curve isn't just in the ability to race properly, but in learning every track, understanding the car you have, upgrades you might need, and the competition on the track.  GT5 is the first racing game I've ever "appreciated" the underlying depth that goes into each race.  And that buying a stock Dodge Viper R/T and jumping into a race probably isn't going to instantly get me the win, just because I spent a lot of money.  My friend played a slow race with some used Honda and was spinning out a lot, and going slow.  So we put new oil and racing tires on it for increased grip.  He got 1st the next race, never spun out.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

You will fucking hate Vettel's challenge at lv 30.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar

Getting a podium is all that matters. Sometime you cannot always be first, but the game still counts you as finishing races and events if you at least get bronze. Not at lvl 30 yet, but god I hope I don't need to Gold that to get Redbull's wetdream car. 

PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By PS3RG

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Raineko

Actually if you always buy the most expensive possible car and tune that up then you will win everything.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Raineko Not the F1 and post lv 25 stuff.
    Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By thehuntsmen5434
    @Raineko:  yea, key word "tune"  like i said you can't just buy a awesome car stock and blow away the competition.  Maybe in some cups, but not everything.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xyzygy

I actually learned this lesson from Forza 1 back in the day. However do far with GT I've been going for all firsts in Licenses and Special races in addition to the Specs. And so far I'm on that track! I don't expect it to last beyond the amateur races though.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By ZimboDK

I've been sticking with Licenses and Special races too. It definitely starts out easy, but gets progressively more difficult. Something as simple as a braking and turning test becomes a pain because you're .1 (or even .001 GAH!) of a second late. And of course you keep trying until you get more and more frustrated, thereby making your times even worse. I still rock at Rally though, so at least that's something.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By AlexW00d

This was a lesson I learnt with GT2 thankfully, I am used to accepting at least a Bronze in certain challenges.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By yakov456
    @Raineko said:
    " Actually if you always buy the most expensive possible car and tune that up then you will win everything. "
    Sure, but where is the fun in that. It's more fun to get a car just a tad below the others hp level and race. Then try to tune it bit by bit until you can make the races really close. What fun is it when you have a half lap lead before the first lap is even done?

I have been having trouble with the Rally race in that Italian Tour special event. What am I doing wrong? I'm usually fine with rally events, but I can only get bronze. The car basically stalls if you get it under 30mph, how do I get my speed to stay up on those turns? E brake it? Because braking gently and trying to drift just isn't working.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.