Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Shocking news: Most of the cars won't have modelled cockpits

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Important Edit: I just realised the title is misleading, there will be modelled cockpits, but no cockpit view.

AutoBlog UK: Can you explain more about the difference between premium and standard cars in the new GT5?

Yamauchi:  Standard models won’t have an interior view, less detailing and no crash model. The problem is that premium models take a lot of time to create and we wanted to include many more vehicles than before. To make premium versions of all the cars we want to put in would take ten years or more and I don’t think people are prepared to wait long!

First off, this is not 100% confirmed. Yamauchi has a translator, and it is possible that this is just an error in the translation. Earlier in the year the official Playstation magazine said all cars would have damage models and cockpit views, which is contradicted by this. However, this is coming from the man himself, I'd say it's more likely than not he is telling the truth. Most of the 1000 cars in GT5 are what Polyphony calls standard cars.  

I'm really shocked by this, I'd much rather have 500 high quality cars with all the bells and whistles than 1000 where most of them are low quality.  
    Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kibblez

That is lame on a huge scale.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to make it super clear: I think  there will be modelled cockpits, not just blacked out interior like GT1, but no cockpit view.  

Damn it Whiskey get the tpoic title edit in there already!

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Trilogy

How long has GT5 been in development now?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By End_Boss

That is a staggeringly bad decision for a racing sim to make. My money is on poor translation being at fault here.

GaZZuM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By GaZZuM

Shocking news: Most of the cars won't have modelled cockpits 

Jeez, they really are cutting corners in Deadly Premoniton 2
    falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By falconer

They don't think people will want to wait long? It will have been nearly 6 years since the last game by the time this damn thing comes out. They have one fucked up perception of time over there in the future (aka: Japan).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Trilogy said:
    " How long has GT5 been in development now? "
    GT4 was released over 5 years ago, so at most that long.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By TheHBK

I thought it was established a while ago that only 200 or so cars will have damage modeling. 
    So between GT4 and GT5, we get only a little bit of damage and some AI and maybe an ok online racing component?  I lost faith when GT4 shipped with no online after it was promised forever.
    gas24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gas24
    @zudthespud: God, i do hope this is just poor translation. Ok fair enough if all interiors cant be individually modelled for each of the proposed cars, but no crash models for standard cars? - Surely the existing geometry for each car can just be deformed using random (to a certain extent) expressions? This would be a big let down so hope they find a way to sort this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.