Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

What was the first car you fully upgraded?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By StarvingGamer

I got tired of just buying ECU tuning and catalytic converters and blew all of my saving on a Lamborghini Gallardo which I proceeded to max out.  Next I think I'm going to try and fully soup up a GT-R SpecV even though I probably should find an FR car instead.  I always end up favoring Nissan cars the most though.

What car finally pushed you guys over the edge?  Any cars I should think about starting work on?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Binman88

Probably the Civic I started with. I've fully upgraded probably around 100 cars by this point, some I only drove for like one or two laps :/ In the later stages of the game, especially when you get the X1, money ain't really an issue, so you can buy and upgrade pretty much anything you feel like!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Binman88: Haha, I'm quite a ways away from that unfortunately.  Was there any point when your income really took off?  I'm level 15 right now and it seems like running the international speedway in the supercup festival for 20k every 2.5 minutes is the most efficient way for me to grind it out.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

Stock GT-R

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By StaticFalconar

A blew a lot of money on the Skyline M.N.P edition based purely because that was my ultimate street tuner car from previous games. I also blew all the money I had at the time on the Carbon R in the used car lot since that is like the ultimate Track tuner version of the Skyline, until I realized I was being stupid since the Carbon R is a reward car later on down the line. I actually didn't put that much money into my first car since I did a bunch of license test and won more cars to actually get attached to my MR-2.  

Most efficient way to make money is the American Championship where for 5 laps around Indy you get 117k but you have to use an american car. But I would focus on leveling up over money since the new car lot actually opens up and has more cars to buy the higher level you are and I cannot tell you how many times I saw a car I wanted in the used car lot, but couldn't buy it not because of money but because I wasn't high enough level. 

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By onarum

A Mustang Mach 1, I love that car.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Binman88
    @StarvingGamer: Once you get to the extreme events, you can start raking in cash from a couple of events in there. There's a 5 lap indy oval event in both Like The Wind, and the American Championship - the first one gives you 83k for a win, the second one gives around 100k for a win. A fully tuned Viper or race-modded Corvette will see you to victory in the American one, but if you have the X1 you can keep repeating the Like The Wind one, which takes about 2 and a half minutes (around 30 seconds a lap!) to complete. 
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Aus_azn

These are the ones that I went all-out on and bought the "Engine" mods to fully tune. In order of purchase:

1. Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG '08
    2. Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro '09
    3. Subaru IMPREZA WRX STI '07
    4. Toyota PRIUS G '09
    5. Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STI '10
    6. Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) RM '09
    7. Subaru IMPREZA WRC 2008
    8. Nissan GT-R SpecV '09
    9. Subaru CUSCO DUNLOP SUBARU IMPREZA '08
    10. Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STI spec C Type RA RM '05
    11. Audi RS 6 Avant '08
    12. McLaren MP4-12C '10
    13. McLaren F1 '94
    14. Lotus Elise 111R RM '04

I also own at least one of each of these cars without the "Engine", "Exhaust" and "Transmission" mods on them. I have many others that are just in that spec, fully modified but kept to their original aspiration, exhaust and redline, which I like to call "super-stock". 

To grind money, I've been using mainly the seasonal events. As far as I'm concerned, I'm drowning in credits with around 2 million and I have already bought the FGT.

As only a level 27 and touting 96 cars, it makes me think that I've ground way too much to buy the cars I wanted...

As per car recommendations, I give you mine. This is based on my current test track, Tokyo R246 in time order. It's a clear attest to say that HP isn't everything.:
    McLaren F1 '94 (860HP, terrible clutch, need to time very well) 
    Any JGTC/GT500 GT-R (600HP, insanely good handling)
    Audi R8 5.2 quattro '09 (897HP, 4WD, prone to four-wheel drifts if you try to gun the accelerator)
    Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG (896HP, German muscle, very tail-happy)  
    Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STI spec C Type RA RM '05 (527HP, grippy and light, sacrifice two seconds and get the far more attractive IMPREZA WRX STI '07)
    Lotus Elise 111R RM '04 (309HP, loose around corners, but very light and very nimble)
    HPA Motorsports FT565 twin turbo Audi TT (644HP, not worth the money. Go with a TT-S and get most of the performance for 1/2 the cost)
    Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG (R230) '02 (657HP, chunky, slow, sloppy. Don't understand how I did well with it)
    Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Portis

WRX STI.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Matfei90

Audi R8 5.2 Quattro. With everything, still working on tunings.

Fuck me, it's a beast.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Skald

Prius. I have no idea why I bothered.

holybins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By holybins
    @StarvingGamer said:

" @Binman88: Haha, I'm quite a ways away from that unfortunately.  Was there any point when your income really took off?  I'm level 15 right now and it seems like running the international speedway in the supercup festival for 20k every 2.5 minutes is the most efficient way for me to grind it out. "

Just do the seasonal events - you get insane cash and experience for those.  I'm level 24 and I've only beaten the beginner tier of A-spec races.  License tests and special events used to be my go-to events, but seasonal events blow them out of the water as far as rewards go.
    holybins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By holybins
    @extremeradical said:
    " Prius. I have no idea why I bothered. "
    Did the same thing with an Insight.  What a waste, and boy do I hate the droning engine noise! 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @holybins: Yeah actually I discovered the seasonal events on Monday, ended up with 10 new maxed cars + 5 million credits.  Gained 6 levels too so now I'm 25...?  Bought an FGT and now I'm just tearing through shit.
    holybins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By holybins
    @StarvingGamer: It's kind of ridiculous that they don't limit power in many of the events/races - not only seasonal, but in the entire game.  You can get through with brute force instead of actually improving your racing skill. 

Although I guess some of  the special events are there to kick your ass in the end ;)
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @holybins: Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to get a gold in the final set of NASCAR events, I keep bronzing them.  But honestly I'm glad for the brute force option because my time to play the game is limited.  Close races where I have to focus my ass off are exciting, but I'd much rather use what little time I have winning every event my first time through and buying a billionty cars.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.