Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 10, 2009

This is the first entry in the Gran Turismo racing series to be released on a handheld system.

The problem with Gran Turismo PSP

thatguy0130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 13

Edited By thatguy0130

Let me preface this by saying that I love the GT series.  I came on a bit late in the franchise, 3 being my first one, but I loved the crap out of 3.  And 4 was just leaps and bounds better.  I have been itching to play GT5 for years now and when they announced they would be releasing the long fabled GTPSP I was like Sign Me UP!  And I did sign up.  I bought that game the first week it was out.  One of the few times I have paid full price for a PSP game.  (No I don't buy them used, I usually wait for the price to go down before I buy)  So you can read any review of the game you want to get a good feel for how the game is.  Personally I thought it was okay, but it could have been better.  That is not why I am here talking to you though.  There is a big flaw in this game.  The majority of you will never even know of its existance.  Only the special minority like myself get the joys of experiencing this game breaking flaw.  Now let me tell you about it.  I enjoyed my time with GT:PSP.  I must have spent 30 hours easy.  I must have amassed a car collection over 100 strong.  I was proud of it.  I know it has like 300 cars but I didn't care to get them all, I just wanted the nice expensive ones.  So many of you know how hard it is to get a specific car you want.  Money isn't really easy to come by in that game so that tells you how long I played it.  No speed up the story to about a month ago.  My PSP broke.  Long story but to sum it up, a large amount of weight was put on it cracking the precious screen that is the heart of a PSP.  So I did what anyone in my place would do, I got my PSP serviced.  Now when I say serviced I mean I paid 80 bucks to get a referbished PSP from Sony because as most people know it is cheaper to replace then to repair a LCD screen.  Anyways, so I got my PSP back and I think to myself, man I could go for some GT.  Know keep in mind this is around the same time they released those preorder incentives for everyone for free, so I had a reason to play it some more.  So I load the game up and guess what I get.  A death message.  "Save data from another PSP has been detected.  Do you wish to overwrite previous save data?"  So basically it says you can only load your file on the PSP it was played on.  Since the PSP it was played on has probably been scrapped for parts, that isn't going to happen.  Now there is absolutely no screen or no email that says if you get your PSP serviced and it is replaced you will lose you save game data.  GT is the only one that has been effected as far as I know.  It is also the only one I have tried.  Anyways.  I emailed Sony Customer Assistance back and forth a few times telling them that I didn't know this would happen and there must be a way to unlock the data so I can access my game.  A big impossible was all I got in response.  So I have lost my data, never to play it again.  And I probably won't even play GT for another 30 hours to get it all back.  So I got screwed.  It seems stupid not to think of this senario.  Really it must be common enough.  Sony lets you download DLC over and over again for situations like this, why can't you switch the lock on Save Data?  It just seems like a poor attitude to have to just say "don't know what to tell you" to people who have been loyal to the brand.  I would have expected more from them.  I guess the moral of the story is take good care not to damage your PSP.  If you do, don't expect anyone to help you get your data back.

thatguy0130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By thatguy0130

Let me preface this by saying that I love the GT series.  I came on a bit late in the franchise, 3 being my first one, but I loved the crap out of 3.  And 4 was just leaps and bounds better.  I have been itching to play GT5 for years now and when they announced they would be releasing the long fabled GTPSP I was like Sign Me UP!  And I did sign up.  I bought that game the first week it was out.  One of the few times I have paid full price for a PSP game.  (No I don't buy them used, I usually wait for the price to go down before I buy)  So you can read any review of the game you want to get a good feel for how the game is.  Personally I thought it was okay, but it could have been better.  That is not why I am here talking to you though.  There is a big flaw in this game.  The majority of you will never even know of its existance.  Only the special minority like myself get the joys of experiencing this game breaking flaw.  Now let me tell you about it.  I enjoyed my time with GT:PSP.  I must have spent 30 hours easy.  I must have amassed a car collection over 100 strong.  I was proud of it.  I know it has like 300 cars but I didn't care to get them all, I just wanted the nice expensive ones.  So many of you know how hard it is to get a specific car you want.  Money isn't really easy to come by in that game so that tells you how long I played it.  No speed up the story to about a month ago.  My PSP broke.  Long story but to sum it up, a large amount of weight was put on it cracking the precious screen that is the heart of a PSP.  So I did what anyone in my place would do, I got my PSP serviced.  Now when I say serviced I mean I paid 80 bucks to get a referbished PSP from Sony because as most people know it is cheaper to replace then to repair a LCD screen.  Anyways, so I got my PSP back and I think to myself, man I could go for some GT.  Know keep in mind this is around the same time they released those preorder incentives for everyone for free, so I had a reason to play it some more.  So I load the game up and guess what I get.  A death message.  "Save data from another PSP has been detected.  Do you wish to overwrite previous save data?"  So basically it says you can only load your file on the PSP it was played on.  Since the PSP it was played on has probably been scrapped for parts, that isn't going to happen.  Now there is absolutely no screen or no email that says if you get your PSP serviced and it is replaced you will lose you save game data.  GT is the only one that has been effected as far as I know.  It is also the only one I have tried.  Anyways.  I emailed Sony Customer Assistance back and forth a few times telling them that I didn't know this would happen and there must be a way to unlock the data so I can access my game.  A big impossible was all I got in response.  So I have lost my data, never to play it again.  And I probably won't even play GT for another 30 hours to get it all back.  So I got screwed.  It seems stupid not to think of this senario.  Really it must be common enough.  Sony lets you download DLC over and over again for situations like this, why can't you switch the lock on Save Data?  It just seems like a poor attitude to have to just say "don't know what to tell you" to people who have been loyal to the brand.  I would have expected more from them.  I guess the moral of the story is take good care not to damage your PSP.  If you do, don't expect anyone to help you get your data back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.