Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 17, 2009

Take control of Huang Lee, the son of a Triad mob boss, in an destructive romp throughout Liberty City in his quest for revenge, money and honour in Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.

Coming To The PSP...

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

... I think we all expected this given the pretty awful sales of the DS version of Chinatown Wars.

http://www.pushsquare.com/3609/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-confirmed-for-the-psp-this-autumn/

Rockstar Games have announced today that Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will be released for the PSP this Autumn. The game will be available via UMD and via Playstation Network.

“We’re proud to extend this truly unique handheld Grand Theft Auto experience to PSP and offer a downloadable version of Chinatown Wars for PSPgo,” said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games.

“Rockstar Leeds has shown incredible talent in creating games that raise the bar in terms of depth and innovation on portables, and with Chinatown Wars we have a rich, fast-paced, and incredibly addictive entry into the series.”

The game will be a loving port of the DS release, featuring upscaled widescreen graphics, enhanced lighting and animation, plus all-new story missions.
    azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By azteris
    @get2sammyb said:
    " ... I think we all expected this given the pretty awful sales of the DS version of Chinatown Wars.

http://www.pushsquare.com/3609/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-confirmed-for-the-psp-this-autumn/

Rockstar Games have announced today that Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will be released for the PSP this Autumn. The game will be available via UMD and via Playstation Network.

“We’re proud to extend this truly unique handheld Grand Theft Auto experience to PSP and offer a downloadable version of Chinatown Wars for PSPgo,” said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games.

“Rockstar Leeds has shown incredible talent in creating games that raise the bar in terms of depth and innovation on portables, and with Chinatown Wars we have a rich, fast-paced, and incredibly addictive entry into the series.”

The game will be a loving port of the DS release, featuring upscaled widescreen graphics, enhanced lighting and animation, plus all-new story missions. "
    Actually, given the awful sales, I assumed they'd just want to talk about Chinatown Wars as little as possible. Do you think a PSP port is really going to help that much?

I'm not so sure.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @get2sammyb said:
    " ... I think we all expected this given the pretty awful sales of the DS version of Chinatown Wars."
    Um, what? Over half a million (and counting) sales in 3 months for a low budget title is far from awful, considering DS owners aren't in lack of good games, and that there's no franchise loyalty built on the platform as it was the very first GTA for it (and any Nintendo system even).

Good news for PSP owners like me, I wonder how the controls will translate though. Oh well, it can't be worse than the others.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By get2sammyb

The early sales were particularly awful considering it was a Grand Theft Auto game, on the platform with the highest install base with a slew of extremely positive reviews. I'll let you have the franchise loyalty and competing games argument but still - Rockstar had to have been disappointed.

It makes sense to port it in my opinion. It'll be interesting to see how they tweak it. I'm sure we'll get some screenshots or a trailer soon.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Venatio

Somehow I knew this would happen, and its great news for me as a PSP owner, I dont have a DS though

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By kush

I don't think this will work out well, but that's because I really liked all the touch-screen aspect of CW...I'd much rather see a new, original GTA title for the PSP, rather than a port of the DS game just because it didn't meet their sales expectations.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

Thank you for letting me have a bone master, it's not like what I said made sense, but you'll let me have it anyway! Also, eh, still talking about "early" days when we're 3 months after the fact and are able to see that its sales have clearly kept up a good pace, enough to believe it will actually end up with rather great numbers, not to mention it's probably already very, very profitable considering the game's nature. Of course it's a good idea to port it, I doubt there's much market overlap with people owning both a DS and a PSP so they can sell it to everyone like this. If PSP owners will be willing to buy a return to the top-down shenanigans remains to be seen though. It's certainly not a guaranteed success, despite franchise loyalty built on the platform, but it's probably more than worth the tiny conversion cost.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By azteris
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Thank you for letting me have a bone master, it's not like what I said made sense, but you'll let me have it anyway! Also, eh, still talking about "early" days when we're 3 months after the fact and can see the sales have clearly kept up the pace enough to believe it will actually end up with rather good numbers, not to mention it's probably already very, very profitable considering the game's nature. Of course it's a good idea to port it, I doubt there's much market overlap with people owning both a DS and a PSP so they can sell it to everyone like this. "
    How many PSP owners are itching for a 2D GTA, though?

I'm just not sure this will boost sales at record rates or anything.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah I edited my post to add that. It's not a guaranteed runaway success, but it's probably more than worth it.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Smart move on Sony's part. It'll get a lot of people to start downloading games.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks

@Al3xand3r said:
    " Thank you for letting me have a bone master, it's not like what I said made sense, but you'll let me have it anyway! Also, eh, still talking about "early" days when we're 3 months after the fact and are able to see that its sales have clearly kept up a good pace, enough to believe it will actually end up with rather great numbers, not to mention it's probably already very, very profitable considering the game's nature. Of course it's a good idea to port it, I doubt there's much market overlap with people owning both a DS and a PSP so they can sell it to everyone like this. If PSP owners will be willing to buy a return to the top-down shenanigans remains to be seen though. It's certainly not a guaranteed success, despite franchise loyalty built on the platform, but it's probably more than worth the tiny conversion cost. "

All this talk of bad sales is BS given the circumstances.

I recall even Jeff saying something along the lines of " this is the audience sending a pretty clear message about what it wants on the DS", (-BS)  only for everyone here to take on board the dim shortsighted view on the evidence on consequential posts. The fact is a few issues impacted early sales, but it had nothing to do with audience view of such content on DS.

Piracy played a major role on the early sales of this game, people had the game nearly two weeks before it launched officially, review copies were posted on the net almost instantly.

EDIT:

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Jayge_
    @Azteris said:
    "How many PSP owners are itching for a 2D GTA, though?"
    Who cares, as long as the game is good?

Hopefully they do something to bump the visuals up and take advantage of the PSP hardware though.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Azteris said:
    " @Al3xand3r said:
    " Thank you for letting me have a bone master, it's not like what I said made sense, but you'll let me have it anyway! Also, eh, still talking about "early" days when we're 3 months after the fact and can see the sales have clearly kept up the pace enough to believe it will actually end up with rather good numbers, not to mention it's probably already very, very profitable considering the game's nature. Of course it's a good idea to port it, I doubt there's much market overlap with people owning both a DS and a PSP so they can sell it to everyone like this. "
    How many PSP owners are itching for a 2D GTA, though?I'm just not sure this will boost sales at record rates or anything. "

If they dismiss it simply solely because it's a 2D variation, that would be pretty stupid given it's high scores. I'm sure many PSP owners see the merits of 2D games, the PSP already has a few great 2D games.

It all depends on how much they improve and tweak things over the original, the fact it's downloable will certainly help sales.

se7en

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By se7en
    @Al3xand3r said:
    Um, what? Over half a million (and counting) sales in 3 months for a low budget title is far from awful, considering DS owners aren't in lack of good games, and that there's no franchise loyalty built on the platform as it was the very first GTA for it (and any Nintendo system even).Good news for PSP owners like me, I wonder how the controls will translate though. Oh well, it can't be worse than the others. "
    Other GTA games on Nintendo systems were Grand Theft Auto on The GameBoy Color in 1999, Grand Theft Auto 2 on the same system in 2000 and Grand Theft Auto Advance on the GameBoy Advance in 2004.
    CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Fuck damnit, new guy stole my post

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @get2sammyb said:
    " ... I think we all expected this given the pretty awful sales of the DS version of Chinatown Wars."
    Um, what? Over half a million (and counting) sales in 3 months for a low budget title is far from awful, considering DS owners aren't in lack of good games, and that there's no franchise loyalty built on the platform as it was the very first GTA for it (and any Nintendo system even).Good news for PSP owners like me, I wonder how the controls will translate though. Oh well, it can't be worse than the others. "
    dude, its GTA game and it made 500,000 over a 3 month period. that is pretty awful as get2sammb said. 

But whatever, they're still good numbers, just not even close to GTA numbers if ya know what i mean. 

Also, I am more inclined to believe that this game was essentially a "timed-exclusives" and thats why it is heading to PSP finally. I doubt this had to do with the sales so much as they were always planning on this. 

I like the idea of this. Seems like it was better suited for PSP, even though I liked the damn near PS2 ports of GTA games onto PSP, they made a game designed for a handled in Chinatown wars and its a fantastic title. Improving the graphics all around is awesome. 

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By get2sammyb

Well of course piracy played a part. But would the game still have done GTA-type numbers piracy included? I'm not so sure.

Of course, none of this means it'll do better on the PSP by any stretch. Piracy is sadly just a rife on Sony's platform.

I'm curious how Sony are going to calculate sales figures actually when the PSP Go launches. I mean - presumably PSP retail games are going to remain as non-existent on the charts as they are now? Download figures won't count towards charting sales will they? So does that then mean they have to release press releases for games stating the numbers of UMD/downloads? Of course they won't have to, but I assume they will if there's something to brag about.

Going digital changes a lot. I'm still not sure whether Gran Turismo 5 Prologue's 3 million sales include PSN downloads or not.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @se7en said:
    "Other GTA games on Nintendo systems were Grand Theft Auto on The GameBoy Color in 1999, Grand Theft Auto 2 on the same system in 2000 and Grand Theft Auto Advance on the GameBoy Advance in 2004. "
    Ok, I forgot about those... But they did suck so, it's hard to build franchise loyalty with that :-P
    ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By ToxicAntidote

Why can't developers just make good games for each console? A port is often allot worse and awkward. I want a new classic stylish GTA on the PSP rather then a China Town port.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.