Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 17, 2009

Take control of Huang Lee, the son of a Triad mob boss, in an destructive romp throughout Liberty City in his quest for revenge, money and honour in Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.

GTA IV fans & players - are you getting Chinatown Wars on the DS?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

No Caption Provided

Giant Bomb
    The developers at Rockstar Leeds were very smart about which elements of GTA to carry over and which would just drag the final product down. The end result is a game that feels new and fresh, even though it largely relies on the concepts forged in GTA's past. 

Grand Theft Auto is without a doubt a much loved series.  It appeals greatly to hardcore gamers due mostly to the game play, but in no small amount, also to its adult content.  Whilst it shouldn't be for kids, we all know little boys love it.  

Now that it is on the DS, it for some, throws up a dilemma about playing it on a console, so much loved by "little girls".  Of course, DS owners know that this is far from the truth, but still, the perception is there.  With the outcome that the game is extremely mature in its content and universally acclaimed by the critics as being as good as GTA IV in its own way, comes the question - are you playing Chinatown Wars on the go  to compliment your GTA IV at home?

If you own a DS and love GTA IV, did you buy the game?

If you don't own a DS and love GTA IV, has this game tempted you to buy one or plan to buy one?

If you do love GTA IV, but have no intention of getting Chinatown Wars despite how good it is, what reasoning is there not to get a DS?

No criticisms, I am just curious how a market responds to something unexpected.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

I havent got it yet, but the idea of being able to go everywhere interesting in GTA IV in Chinatown Wars has me intrigued.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

I'm definately planning on getting it and played a lot of GTAIV (100%ed it).

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By c1337us

I am the kind of knob who has bought, and barely played every GTA since III even though I dont really like the games. But I totally draw the line at Chinatown Wars. There is no way I am getting this game.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    c1337us said:
    "I am the kind of knob who has bought, and barely played every GTA since III even though I dont really like the games. But I totally draw the line at Chinatown Wars. There is no way I am getting this game."
    I am a bit of a knob like you.  I bought GTA 3, barely played and bought the 1st PSP one thinking I would play that.  I didn't.  Then I bought the 2nd.  Outcome?  The same.  Yet, unlike you becoming a reformed knob and stopping, my knobness will continue as I fully intend to get Chinatown Wars, still believing that I will like it.

KNOB ON!
    insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By insanejedi

The reasons why I liked GTA 4 is probably not the reasons why I would buy Chinatown wars.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Goly

I don't own GTA IV and I freaking loved this game.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By danielkempster

I hold GTAIV in extremely high regard. I'd love to pick up Chinatown Wars, but after my DS was stolen a couple of months ago, there's no point in picking up a game when I don't have a handheld to play it on. Maybe later in the year, when I can afford to replace my DS.

daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By daz0608

I liked GTA4 and would love to play GTA:CW but I don't have a DS

Jayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Jayson

I already have and it's a really great game.  I love the way you shake the cops now.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    dankempster said:
    "I hold GTAIV in extremely high regard. I'd love to pick up Chinatown Wars, but after my DS was stolen a couple of months ago, there's no point in picking up a game when I don't have a handheld to play it on. Maybe later in the year, when I can afford to replace my DS."
    Man, that sucks.  Any idea who stole it and from where?  I would massively pissed off if someone stole my gear.  I hate thieves.  You work for what you have and they feel the right to take it from you.  

.......... walks away grumbling like an old man ...........
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Godwind

I have it but I am not going to be playing it.  I am giving it away in a contest.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AgentJ

Best Buy had GTA CW for 20 bucks and i grabbed it both to take away the sting of not getting Soul Calibur 4 and to support hardcore games on the DS. Unfortunately it wont be meeting the inside of my DS for a while

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgentJ
    oldschool said:
    "dankempster said:
    "I hold GTAIV in extremely high regard. I'd love to pick up Chinatown Wars, but after my DS was stolen a couple of months ago, there's no point in picking up a game when I don't have a handheld to play it on. Maybe later in the year, when I can afford to replace my DS."
    Man, that sucks.  Any idea who stole it and from where?  I would massively pissed off if someone stole my gear.  I hate thieves.  You work for what you have and they feel the right to take it from you.  

"
    But aren't you a grumbling old man?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
    AgentJ said:
    "oldschool said:
    "dankempster said:

"
    But aren't you a grumbling old man?"
    Why you little.........

Godwind said:
    "I have it but I am not going to be playing it.  I am giving it away in a contest."
    Explain?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Diamond

Own GTA4 on 360, own GTACW on DS.

Liked GTA4 on 360.  First GTA I ever finished.  I played GTA3 like 95%, GTAVC 90%, and GTASA 50% through.  It was actually mission difficulty and weird gameplay quirks that made me give up.  A good example is one of the earlier missions in GTA3 where you're supposed to snipe the mob boss from on top of a neighboring building.  Problem is YOUR BULLETS GO RIGHT THROUGH HIS HEAD WITHOUT HURTING HIM.  Over the years I've probably played that single mission 30 times.  Only way I can EVER kill the guy is running him over before he gets in a limo, or blocking the exit with cars and blowing them all up.  That's just an example of how broken GTA gameplay was before GTA4.

Now GTA4 has some flaws in gameplay too, but it was easier, so I only retried any one mission 3 or 4 times (snow job if I remember took me like 4 tries).  The story was also more interesting so it kept me playing.  I felt GTA4 was significantly less fun to 'mess around in' compared to GTA3, VC, and SA though, and I can't figure out why.

For the record I also own Saint's Row 1 and 2, and neither game really 'do it' for me.  I played GTA1 on PC as well, thought it was neat but never stuck with it more than a few hours.

Now on to GTACW, you may recognize my avatar.  Basically everything Yatzee said about the game applies to my opinion.  But I can add some more.  In modern GTA games I can just LOOK at a in-game car and kind of tell how strong and fast it may be.  Not so with GTACW.  All the cars look very similar, I figure if you play it enough you might learn which colors mean a faster car, but bleh.  Not being able to see far in front of me requires me to always be cautious.  I also don't like having to hold the stylus in my hand when I play with the buttons on the DS.

I hear GTACW is short, but I haven't even finished it.  The game does absolutely nothing at all for me, and I'd rather finish Lost and Damned...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.