Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grant Kirkhope

Person » credited in 26 games

Long time composer at Rare and former audio director at Big Huge Games who now works at Spark Unlimited when not touring with Van Halen.

Grant Kirkhope's "uncompressed" N64 tunes

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By fram

I think these have been floating around for a while but I couldn't find any mention of it here on GB. Friend of the site Grant Kirkhope posted some of the tracks he composed for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on his website, here and here.

The best thing about them is that these are mp3s of the source audio tracks - before being compressed to fit on N64 carts. The compositions hold up really well and the extra quality really comes through, especially in the atmospherics. Also the BLAZING guitar during the PD credits track is fantastic.

Edit: It might be a bit fiddly getting them to play, seems like an old quicktime plugin or something. Firefox worked for me.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

This is good stuff dude. I'm listening to the Perfect Dark tracks while playing RONIN.

Avatar image for euler_riemann_zeta
    Euler_Riemann_Zeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Awesome! I always loved the Donkey Kong 64 soundtrack (I played the shit out of it as a kid), and this is just rekindling that love.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Are you sure this is Kirkhope? Sounds like Wise to me, I'm going with Wise.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#5 chaser324  Moderator
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Grant Kirkhope has a bunch of his soundtracks on Bandcamp. He used to have all of the Banjo & Perfect Dark stuff on there, too, but at some point they got pulled (presumably something to do with the copyrights and Microsoft, but that's just speculation). There was even an album called "BK Beta's", which were unreleased songs written and composed for Banjo, which was really interesting.

The most interesting thing on there now is probably The game that never was and never happened. There is zero context for those three tracks, apart from that title. They sound hella banjo, though. They're probably from a canceled Banjo game that never came to fruition.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By btrdeadthanred

Ive never realized how Faith no More-y that frigate song sounds.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm glad he put Chicago Stealth on there, since that is clearly the best song in Perfect Dark.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@chaser324: Cheers man, this is great!

@warpig87: Huh. I'd never made that connection, but I cannot deny that bass.

@brodehouse: My mate and I would play hours of multiplayer with slo-mo enabled, throwing knives only and the Chicago Stealth music. SO GOOD.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.