Greed. Is it, for lack of a better word, good?

#1 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Anyone else buy Greed Corp yet? I just started playing it today, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's a very unique turn-based game, and the smooth visuals and the hectic music are pretty great. I haven't played enough to warrant a full review, but it gives a great first impression. There aren't a lot of professional reviews for it yet, (that I could find) but Team Xbox and IGN gave it 92 and 88. 
  
  

  
 
So what do you think about this game? Do you think it's worth ten bucks? 
 
If you don't know what this game is about, get the demo or look at the Quick Look EX.
#2 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

I've heard it has an environmentalist message that it gets a little too preachy about from time to time, but other than that it seems to be a fine... Whatever game it is.

#3 Posted by amarriner (142 posts) -

I keep waffling back and forth as to whether I should get this or not. I'm a big strategy nut (especially turn-based) so it seems like a no-brainer, but I have sooo many other games to play at the moment. It looks really great as I like the art and sound direction and the mechanics seem solid. I'm sure I'll eventually break down and get it. I have the points just sitting there, after all ...
 
I'd be interested to hear more of your thoughts as you get further into the game.

#4 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
@End_Boss said:
" I've heard it has an environmentalist message that it gets a little too preachy about from time to time, but other than that it seems to be a fine... Whatever game it is. "
Turn-based strategy. Not sure about how preachy it gets, but I'll try writing a full review on this game soon. Anyway, seeing as how thin the actual story of the game is, that shouldn't be much of a problem.
#5 Posted by CastroCasper (1301 posts) -

I got the demo yesterday and went out to get a points card today to buy it. I think it's good, now to find what to use the other 800 points on...

#6 Posted by Feser (543 posts) -

I prefer the Altruisic Corp. There's lots of sex.
#7 Posted by tsolless (465 posts) -

So far I've really enjoyed it. It's a good direction for strategy games to go for consoles, with slightly chaotic and short games. I'd want to play through more of the game as well as trying out the online multiplayer before I would recommend it but I've enjoyed it so far. I haven't really noticed it being preachy about environmental issues, but perhaps in one of the campaigns it is.

#8 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -
@kurtdyoung said:
"I got the demo yesterday and went out to get a points card today to buy it. I think it's good, now to find what to use the other 800 points on..."
The new Borderlands DLC is exactly 800 points. Boom.
#9 Posted by tsolless (465 posts) -

Oh yes, one complaint. Sometimes during the campaign it seems like the computer AI takes much too long to take turns, like building one walker every two second until they have built a large amount. It can really slow the game down.

#10 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

Ah, this game is made by my fellow compatriots! 
So i can't say anything good about the game without getting accused of being biased.
#11 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

I like it a lot!  I got so few friends on it.  :(

#12 Posted by CrazyBagMan (843 posts) -

I'm absolutely loving it! Played my first online game about 10 minutes ago, very fun.
 
My xbox gamertag is CxBxM, please add me so we can get more games going!

#13 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

 That launch trailer really reminds me of a pixar short film but back on topic I'm still not sure if I'll get it or not.

#14 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
@Brunchies said:
"  That launch trailer really reminds me of a pixar short film but back on topic I'm still not sure if I'll get it or not. "
I thought the same thing about the trailer, actually. Totally Pixar-esque.
#15 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

I don't get why they didn't promote the hell out of this game...people buy stupid shit like Explosion Man on XBL and PixelJunk Eden on PSN, but they don't buy this.  
 
I don't get what's wrong with gamers...

#16 Posted by LeonardMcCoy (8 posts) -

Bought it day one. It's a totally awesome, tense strategy game. Great!

#17 Posted by project343 (2828 posts) -
Played the trial--adoring it. Going to purchase it as soon as I get around to updating my credit card info. It's the kind of game where I can fail 15 times on the same map and not care. Can't say the same for a game like Dante's Inferno, which is currently being neglected due to this trial. So the takeaway message: Greed Corp >>> Dante's Inferno. 
 
Coincidentally, I'm stuck at the Greed circle in Dante's Inferno. XD
 
@KaosAngel said:
" I don't get why they didn't promote the hell out of this game...people buy stupid shit like Explosion Man on XBL and PixelJunk Eden on PSN, but they don't buy this.    I don't get what's wrong with gamers... "
Those are fantastic games. Not everyone enjoys turn-based strategy games, dontchaknow.
#18 Posted by Zaxex (586 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" I don't get why they didn't promote the hell out of this game...people buy stupid shit like Explosion Man on XBL and PixelJunk Eden on PSN, but they don't buy this.    I don't get what's wrong with gamers... "
I imagine most people's preferred genres don't include Turn-Based Strategy and I doubt Greed Corp gives an especially strong first impression. A niche is a niche is a niche.
#19 Posted by mosdl (3229 posts) -

Got it today, the tutorial is a bit weak but after a couple of false starts getting t he hand and enjoying it a lot.  Seems digital downloads is where innovation is happening.

Online
#20 Posted by Tebbit (4465 posts) -
@mosdl said:
" Got it today, the tutorial is a bit weak but after a couple of false starts getting t he hand and enjoying it a lot.  Seems digital downloads is where innovation is happening. "
Yeah, the tutorial kinda sucked, but after playing if for a few games it's pretty easy to get a grasp of the concepts. 
  
I really like Greed Corp, it's as if someone said "what if we streamline Advance Wars", and then somehow made a good game around that idea.
#21 Edited by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@extremeradical said:

" Anyone else buy Greed Corp yet? I just started playing it today, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's a very unique turn-based game, and the smooth visuals and the hectic music are pretty great. I haven't played enough to warrant a full review, but it gives a great first impression. There aren't a lot of professional reviews for it yet, (that I could find) but Team Xbox and IGN gave it 92 and 88. 
  
    
 
So what do you think about this game? Do you think it's worth ten bucks? 
 
If you don't know what this game is about, get the demo or look at the Quick Look EX. "

No such thing as good or evil. Greed has positives/advantages and negatives/disadvantages - two sides to a coin.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.