Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grinding

Concept »

Constantly performing an in-game action to progress a certain attribute.

Slaves to the Grind

AjaxNV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By AjaxNV

I really don’t get the obsession with being the top level. You get nothing at the top except more things to make the game easier. I understand that you need to be a higher level in some games to be able to play (or be able to survive) the harder parts of the game. Still, it just creates the grinding. The leveling for the simple reason of being a higher level. What happened to actually enjoying a game? Why the design ploys to make us play the game longer? Just make a good game, and we will play it. I like leveling, but why not make it more interesting? How about the lowest level, the first you are when you begin the game, is the best. Best as in, you have everything. As you level up, you lose things, forcing you to adapt and re-strategize. I would find this an excellent challenge, and usually end up forcing my own rules on myself to replicate this in other games. 

The obvious issue here, which I agree is a large one, is the content of the best items would only be used by the newer players. That would be a lot of effort put into content that would hardly be used, or not used at all. Perhaps allowing the higher levels to use the items, but don’t let them rank up when using them, would fix that issue. In any case, I believe this will never happen. Gamers these days don’t want a challenge. They are happy living in their world of mindless grinding. If being the best means having no challenge, I’d rather be the worst.    

AjaxNV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AjaxNV

I really don’t get the obsession with being the top level. You get nothing at the top except more things to make the game easier. I understand that you need to be a higher level in some games to be able to play (or be able to survive) the harder parts of the game. Still, it just creates the grinding. The leveling for the simple reason of being a higher level. What happened to actually enjoying a game? Why the design ploys to make us play the game longer? Just make a good game, and we will play it. I like leveling, but why not make it more interesting? How about the lowest level, the first you are when you begin the game, is the best. Best as in, you have everything. As you level up, you lose things, forcing you to adapt and re-strategize. I would find this an excellent challenge, and usually end up forcing my own rules on myself to replicate this in other games. 

The obvious issue here, which I agree is a large one, is the content of the best items would only be used by the newer players. That would be a lot of effort put into content that would hardly be used, or not used at all. Perhaps allowing the higher levels to use the items, but don’t let them rank up when using them, would fix that issue. In any case, I believe this will never happen. Gamers these days don’t want a challenge. They are happy living in their world of mindless grinding. If being the best means having no challenge, I’d rather be the worst.    

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By luce

Some people grind simply to spend more time in the game world. I you loved FF7 but had nothing to do but get to lvl100 you'd grind it out too

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By trophyhunter

I love all the koei warriors games

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf

I'm going back to the literal grind...

Avatar image for psyborg0815--DEFUNCT
    psyborg0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By psyborg0815

But what if the grinding is fun? I don't think I played Diablo 2 for years because of the story.

AjaxNV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AjaxNV

If it is fun, then by all means, enjoy it. I guess the idea of "best is worst" could be an optional thing, if it were possible. I certainly wouldn't want to make some one play this way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.