Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

BEWARE-email "guild wars 2 password reset"

announakis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By announakis

if like me you received an email with such a title looking very legit (because apparently it is, I do not know how anet fucked up but they did), breathe and do not hit the link if you did not request it yourself...a lot of people are being hacked at the moment...

here is the link to the discussion on guru

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/56227-beware-do-not-click-password-reset-email-links-from-arenanet/

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Oldest phishing trick in the Massively Multiplayer Book.

announakis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By announakis

@Brodehouse said:

apparently this is not phsshing trick, this is the sad part: people report that there is no ASCii trick in the adress of the sender, the sender is indeed Anet...

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By emem
    @announakis said:

@Brodehouse said:

apparently this is not phsshing trick, this is the sad part: people report that there is no ASCii trick in the adress of the sender, the sender is indeed Anet...

Mails like that are never from the developer, it's always a slightly different address...
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Barrock

I got that as well. Just figured someone just entered my email from a big list.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TheCreamFilling

The developers are hacking their own game?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Fuck, I almost clicked the link, thanks for the heads up man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@emem said:

@announakis said:

@Brodehouse said:

Mails like that are never from the developer, it's always a slightly different address...

Here is the email.

No Caption Provided
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By musubi

@Bucketdeth: Thats....pretty official looking. Most phishing scams try to goad you into clicking the link by being all YOU GOTTA SORT THIS SHIT OUT MAN ELSE WE GONNA DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT. Or some other nonsense. Weird.

Nergrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nergrim

I was really close to clicking the link in the mail.

It looks exactly the same as the real change password mail you get from Anet.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By emem
    @Bucketdeth said:

@emem said:

@announakis said:

@Brodehouse said:

Here is the email.

No Caption Provided

Hm, as far as I understand people can make it look like mails came from specific email addresses and if yours is a phishing mail I doubt that any of the links will lead to the real Anet/GW2 site. Anyway, the important thing is just to not click on links in general unless you have requested them yourself, it's been like that for years. If you get a suspicious mail, open your browser and go to the known official website in question and check it out.
    UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By UssjTrunks

When you change your password, you don't get a confirmation email. So these are fake. However, allowing people to change passwords without a confirmation email is not secure at all.

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gantrathor

It actually looks exactly like the email you get when you change the password to your NCSoft master account.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Gantrathor said:

It actually looks exactly like the email you get when you change the password to your NCSoft master account.

Changing the password of your GW2 account on the official website doesn't send out an email (I've done it a few times already). Besides, that email is supposedly from Arenanet, not NCsoft.

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gantrathor

@UssjTrunks: I know, I was just pointing out that it looks like the NCSoft master account statement. That's why it's funny, because you don't even need to use an NCSoft account for Guild Wars 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
    deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotten 3 of these so far. Pretty annoying.

chubbysumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chubbysumo

Just so you guys know, but these are legit emails. They are not phish attempts, the header info checks out. The hack is a two step process. the password reset is the hacker actually just confirming that you are using a known email(either guessing based on in game character names, or from the recent MMO site hacking spree from china). It practically spits out a yes or a no. it either gives them a glaring error(email not in database), or tells them one has been sent. Once they know an email is live, they then use either pre-gleaned passwords from other MMO sites that were hacked, or then phish the shit out of your email. I can confirm that the hackers do not need access to your email account, and many are in fact losing access to their email accounts after their GW2 accounts, and those same people report that they used the same password across services. Use a clean(new) email, and a new password, and you foil their attempts at a hack/phish. There is also a server side hole, since people are getting hacked eevn without recieving the password reset email. Also, all the IPs that are being reported are from china, go figure.

pekarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pekarn

Why would anyone click the link in a password reset mail you didn't request?

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By eccentrix

@pekarn said:

Why would anyone click the link in a password reset mail you didn't request?

Especially after it specifically tells you not to in the email.

Magickeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Magickeys

@Brodehouse said:

Yeah, I received one just this morning. This trick is getting old by the way, bunch of idiots.

And I don't have the game yet also, double idiots :)

Nihilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nihilius

I got one of these today, I turned on gmail 2 step verification a few days ago so I am not all that worried. They should have given us some secret questions and answers so that this wouldn't of happened. Also the lack of a Security Token available at launch is a bad decision.

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RobbieMac

Woke up and I had 6 of them in my box. Lol, fail.

Ehker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ehker

I didn't get one, but it seems something was up with the password reset, because they've shut it down.

http://en.support.guildwars2.com/

Announcements:

• The Guild Wars 2 reset password feature is currently unavailable.
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jozzy

I got this e-mail, and I don't even play Guildwars 2 (yet).

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gaff

@pekarn said:

Why would anyone click a link in an e-mail you didn't solicit?

Fixed.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Bestostero

well im angry i didnt get a phishing email! am i not special enough for one!? lol

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By psylah

I got one of these e-mails, which is hilarious, because I haven't played GW 1 or 2, and I don't even have an Arenanet account!

Anyways, pro tip:

If you get an e-mail that makes you concerned that an account of yours has been compromised, don't click links in the e-mail, go to the website yourself and navigate to the appropriate page.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Maystack

Just got an email saying I need to authorise a login. So glad that ANet put that system in.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By Dagbiker

I got one of these, I also got an Email from Norman Chan:

Hello, I'm Norman Chan Tak-Lam, S.B.S., J.P, Chief Executive, Hong Kong Monetary Authority. I need a confirmation of acceptance to handle a Business worth $47.1M USD with me. Contact me for more info.
    psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By psylah

@Dagbiker said:

I got one of these, I also got an Email from Norman Chan:

Hello, I'm Norman Chan Tak-Lam, S.B.S., J.P, Chief Executive, Hong Kong Monetary Authority. I need a confirmation of acceptance to handle a Business worth $47.1M USD with me. Contact me for more info.

I'd believe it, now that he's a big star on Mythbusters!

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jesterroyal

@Dagbiker: You totally hit the jackpot. You need to act on that. 47 million dollars? These opportunities come around once in a life time. Have you contacted him back yet? Is Jamie and or Adam his angel funder?

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By herocide

@chubbysumo said:

Just so you guys know, but these are legit emails. They are not phish attempts, the header info checks out. The hack is a two step process. the password reset is the hacker actually just confirming that you are using a known email(either guessing based on in game character names, or from the recent MMO site hacking spree from china). It practically spits out a yes or a no. it either gives them a glaring error(email not in database), or tells them one has been sent. Once they know an email is live, they then use either pre-gleaned passwords from other MMO sites that were hacked, or then phish the shit out of your email. I can confirm that the hackers do not need access to your email account, and many are in fact losing access to their email accounts after their GW2 accounts, and those same people report that they used the same password across services. Use a clean(new) email, and a new password, and you foil their attempts at a hack/phish. There is also a server side hole, since people are getting hacked eevn without recieving the password reset email. Also, all the IPs that are being reported are from china, go figure.

In spite of this being this guy's first post; he's right.

WhytePanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By WhytePanther

I got one yesterday as well. Except mine didn't say it was a password change, but rather a change to the e-mail address of my account. Oh, and I also don't have a copy of GW2. I did have GW1 on that address, so I put in a ticket (after typing the address myself, of course), when I discovered I couldn't log in to the website with that address. The site said there was no account with the e-mail address, but it did seem to indicate that GW1 account should have been able to log in. That was a day ago and now after doing a little legwork, and finding the e-mail asking me to click the link to confirm the change of address in my spam folder with the exact same timestamp as the e-mail confirming it's been accepted, I've decided to redownload the GW1 client and see what happens. But I'm at PAX and my hotel has pretty crappy WiFi, so I'll have to check up on it in the morning.

If my account was actually stolen, my guess is there are two points to this hack. First, is that they are using some known list of e-mail addresses and passwords (I had a WoW account hacked three years ago that probably had the same password then as I used the last time I actually played Guild Wars). Second, they are somehow locating the key to confirm the e-mail address without actually accessing the e-mail (or they have mine and aren't showing any other indication of that, but my e-mail is most definitely under a different password than it was then.) The fact that web password changes are down right now seems to feed that theory.

Edit: Guild Wars downloaded to a playable state over night. GW client tells me the e-mail address is not recognized. And since I almost never delete any e-mails ever, I still have the original account activation e-mail from 2004 for my GW1 account. Still no word from ArenaNet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.