Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Buying a new computer for this

Meteor_VII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Meteor_VII

So I want to try to this game and also have a computer for future pc games (Sim CIty) but I don't know much about computers but looking at getting this:  Acer Aspire V3-771G-9875 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215410 

Any input would be great. Don't really wanna go over a thousand dollars and also have no desire for a desktop anymore.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By shinboy630

@Meteor_VII said:

have a computer for future pc games
    have no desire for a desktop anymore.

These two phrases simply do not go together.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

But you could get a desktop that is more powerful for the same price as that laptop.

Tarkhein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Tarkhein

If your issue with a desktop is size, you can get pretty small with micro-ATX or mini-ITX. Not as small as a laptop of course, but hell of a lot more performance.

Meteor_VII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Meteor_VII

I like mobility, I don't always wanna be at my desk to do something on the computer.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By grilledcheez

Protip: It's hard to buy out of stock laptops

2nd protip: That seems fine, but like everybody else said...it's a laptop so you'll have to deal with heat. Many parts crammed together with typically 1 fan = heat, which equals framerate drops and melted motherboards.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UssjTrunks

@shinboy630 said:

@Meteor_VII said:

have a computer for future pc games
    have no desire for a desktop anymore.

These two phrases simply do not go together.

This man knows.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jesterroyal

@Meteor_VII: Then prepare to spend thousands of dollars on a passable gaming laptop. Mobility and PC gaming don't go hand in hand unless you are richer than sin. Then with a gaming laptop you still have a bonfire on your lap or you have to set yourself up and pull out a mouse and make sure you are plugged into an outlet so that you dont drain your battery in 45 minutes once that graphics card kicks into high gear.. Take it from an alien ware laptop owner. I put high priority on mobility and gaming in college and then I graduated and i didn't use the alien ware laptop for a year. Its plenty powerful and could run borderlands/mass effect/skyrim on real decent settings (M11x so the netbook alienware laptop) but theres no substitute for a good desktop.

TL;DR Get a gaming desktop and a netbook or ultraportable laptop but gaming on the go is overrated.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TehBuLL

If the desk is your problem, just get a long HDMI cable and wireless mouse/keyboard and hook it to your couch/tv setup. Then you can choose where you want to play. Still way cheaper and more effective than a laptop.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Silvergun

Also, unless your computer is complete garbage, it'll run GW2 just fine. I have a 4 year old ~$1000 computer and it works great on high settings, even in WvW and in large events.

I've tried the gaming laptop thing, never again.

Meteor_VII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meteor_VII

@GrilledCheez: Wasn't out of stock yesterday. 

Currently the newest computer I have is a Dell Studio XPS 1647 which at least from what I have seen online can't run the game so I was trying to just fine something that would work. I don't play many computer games only get into the big ones but only after they have been out for a while. Shush as playing the first Witcher on this laptop only 6 months before the second came out. I am not looking for something that is going to play the "next-gen" games on ultra or whatever. And really the problem I have is I really don't know anything about computers - I don't want to have to learn to build one just to play some (very few) games on it. But there are so many options and that computer that I linked looked I guess good and had great reviews but yall are saying it's bad so this is why I don't play many computer games. Ugh.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Klei

Buy a computer for many games, bro. Not just for GW2. It's a crime.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Heltom92

The simple fact is that desktops are better than laptops when it comes to gaming. Maybe you could buy a desktop for gaming and a cheap notebook for work etc?

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jesterroyal

@Meteor_VII said:

Wasn't out of stock yesterday. Currently the newest computer I have is a Dell Studio XPS 1647 which at least from what I have seen online can't run the game so I was trying to just fine something that would work. I don't play many computer games only get into the big ones but only after they have been out for a while. Shush as playing the first Witcher on this laptop only 6 months before the second came out. I am not looking for something that is going to play the "next-gen" games on ultra or whatever. And really the problem I have is I really don't know anything about computers - I don't want to have to learn to build one just to play some (very few) games on it. But there are so many options and that computer that I linked looked I guess good and had great reviews but yall are saying it's bad so this is why I don't play many computer games. Ugh.

You shouldn't be daunted by building your own PC. Its really just adult lego's. The motherboard comes with instructions. If you see an open port and a cable that's shaped the same you just have to plug it in. Its very much a color coded and shape coded system these days and if it doesn't feel like the peg you are putting in the hole is fitting then it probably shouldn't go there. HOWEVER, If you are still daunted there are plenty of custom PC builders (with huge markups but.. eh) http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Mage_D335 This seller offers some decent gaming PC builds with expected markup. You just gotta learn to look around if you don't want to build yourself. And a good gaming PC in the 1000 dollar range will keep on giving for 4 or more years. You cant get preoccupied with chasing the elusive 16X AA and Ultra graphics settings because you will lose all your money but my 6 year old graphics card still ran Dragon Age 2 on medium-high settings when I gave it to the GF.

k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By k9

@Meteor_VII said:

So I want to try to this game and also have a computer for future pc games (Sim CIty) but I don't know much about computers but looking at getting this: Acer Aspire V3-771G-9875

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215410 Any input would be great. Don't really wanna go over a thousand dollars and also have no desire for a desktop anymore.

Your acer has good specs but check out this Lenovo too; the 3rd one from left: 1080P screen, 660M GPU, Blu Ray drive. All for under 1000 bucks.

At this price range you may want to consider looking at i5 CPU laptops instead of i7 ones. Gaming performance these days is mostly dependent on GPU anyways, unless you want to get into territory of running emulators.

Edit: After some searching check out this MSI: Specs are similar to your acer except that the screen is full HD. And I have heard nothing but praises of MSI's laptop speakers.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

The gaming desktop I could build for the same price would make that laptop look like it was standing still.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By crusader8463

As others have said, if you want a gaming computer buy a desktop and pick up some cheap laptop for when you are out and about.

I didn't build it just for GW2, but after firing up GW2 and seeing it chug along at a rate that's perfectly playable on lower settings, but just not up to what I wanted, I said fuck it and bought the parts to build my own PC. I have been planning to do it for some time now and that was just the game that broke the straw. I spent an afternoon doing some research and came up with this desktop build below. It's around $1700, but if you get some slightly older versions of the CPU, GPU, MOBO and shop around for sales you can easily get it down to $1100-$1200 range and be a perfectly fine computer that will last you many a year. I just went the extra bit as I had the money and I prefer to pay more upfront to get the extra year or two out of it then if I went with one notch lower at the start and upgraded in 2-4 years.

My build.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Trilogy

@Silvergun said:

Also, unless your computer is complete garbage, it'll run GW2 just fine. I have a 4 year old ~$1000 computer and it works great on high settings, even in WvW and in large events.

I've tried the gaming laptop thing, never again.

What specs are you pc? Just curious because mine is the same age and I was wondering how it would handle GW2.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By project343

After having a fair share of gaming laptops myself, I just can't recommend them. At all, under any circumstance. You're better off buying a proportional gaming desktop and saving the extra $600 for a tablet. They're riddled with all sorts of terrible performance issues, tend to weigh a ton, and overheat like a mother. The portability is not worth the hassle.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By jaycrockett

In my opinion the only reason to buy a new computer (or any piece of hardware) is that there is a specific game you want to play on it. So good on ya.

I game with a laptop and find heat to be an issue. The fan blows right on to my mouse hand (that's what I get for being a lefty I guess).

Do any of those cooling solutions work (chill mats, extra fans, etc)?

Bassario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bassario

Laptop = travel

Desktop = gaming

Which do you primarily do? nuff said.

Edit: yes you can buy an in-between but god almighty don't, its not going to be as good and its going to run hot and the screen is going to be small.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.