Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Guild Wars 2 Class Reveal Leak - Thief - Courtesy of Gametrailers

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

...it has since been taken down though

It was HQ steady cam footage of the Norn starting area playing as Guardian and some highlevel gameplay playing as a Thief (new class). The thief dualwields pistols and daggers (amongst other things) and works with a 'Initiative mechanic' and has zero cooldowns on his skills. So rather than managing cooldowns, you'll have to manage Initiative points (of which you'll have approximately 10 with a reg of estimately 1 Initiative/sec).

So far only one of four videos made it to youtube. It's thief gameplay though - so that's cool. Will check youtube later for more of these and post them here.

Guess GameTrailers wasn't aware, that ArenaNet intended to unveil this stuff at PAX East next week. So all you lucky attendees, have fun playing the Norn! Come back here and write about it too - thank you very much.

Enjoy!

Edit: Video works again (at least until it gets pulled again...)

The 4th part of the Gametrailer videos popped up too...

Poki3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Poki3

ArenaNet will probably be sniping these videos. Did anyone download the videos from gametrailers before they vanished?
    Also, the video you embeded can only be watched inside the US because it's copyrighted by Viacom, so it's useless :/

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 52

#3  Edited By tearhead
    @Poki3: I'm inside the US and I can't watch it either.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

Fuck you Viacom.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seppli

I can't either. Guess they wised up to it and took it down. Guess y'all have to wait 'til the official PAX East reveal.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Seppli

Video just popped up again. Watch it while it lasts. Enjoy!

Edit: Part 4 just popped up too...

Poki3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Poki3
    RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By RobbieMac

Wait I didn't know Arenanet was at GDC...  I thought they were just going to be at PAX East.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By phrosnite

Thief = Assassin 

I'm liking what they have done with GW2. I'll be definitely buying it... Pity the beta will be at the end of this year so it will come out early next.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By JoelTGM

man that looks great.  I like that any class can heal or revive another, and when you die you go down like second chance from Call of Duty where you can do some minor attacks from the ground, and a buddy can help you up, or if you die completely you can still be revived by anybody.  cant wait to play this!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seppli
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:

" man that looks great.  I like that any class can heal or revive another, and when you die you go down like second chance from Call of Duty where you can do some minor attacks from the ground, and a buddy can help you up, or if you die completely you can still be revived by anybody.  cant wait to play this! "

The most awesome thing I've heard an ArenaNet developer say is about how they design their combat. They're trying to make the combat's mechanics feel more like an FPS and less like a trading card game (the first Guild Wars was about building your deck containing 8 skills out of approximately 150 available to each character).

Like in a FPS game, if you had a Shotgun and a Sniper Rifle. You'll quickly swap to the shotgun to clear a house, then back to your sniper rifle. Last I heard, they'll only let us hot-swap 2 weapon-presets in combat. I hope they increase said number. Every weapon/-combination switches out your 5 primary skills. Switching playstyles on the fly. Like switching from a sniper rifle to a shotgun in Call of Duty.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By mazik765

Awesome link. Thanks for that!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

OH GODDAMN!  Hopefully, just HOPEFULLY, we'll get a release date at PAX East.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zityz

while it looks better, the thief(sin) still isnt the class for me. This game however looks amazing.

Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dedodido
    @phrosnite said:
    " Thief = Assassin   I'm liking what they have done with GW2. I'll be definitely buying it... Pity the beta will be at the end of this year so it will come out early next. "
    Stating speculation as fact ftw! (The timing part, not the Thief = Assassin part)
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Dingofighter

Reminds me of Dragon Age 2, mostly because the Rogue/Thief class can jump backwards away from the enemy, but also the fact that the combat seems more involved and faster paced. 
    It looks like this combat system will be more fun to play than your typical MMO combat.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By phrosnite
    @Dedodido said:
    " @phrosnite said:
    " Thief = Assassin   I'm liking what they have done with GW2. I'll be definitely buying it... Pity the beta will be at the end of this year so it will come out early next. "
    Stating speculation as fact ftw! (The timing part, not the Thief = Assassin part) "
    It's not speculation. There was an article about Arenanet saying that the beta would be at the end of the year because they wanted the fans to be "blown away".
    Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dedodido
    @phrosnite said:

" @Dedodido said:

" @phrosnite said:
    Stating speculation as fact ftw! (The timing part, not the Thief = Assassin part) "
    It's not speculation. There was an article about Arenanet saying that the beta would be at the end of the year because they wanted the fans to be "blown away". "
    From the GW2 FAQ:

We will be conducting small closed alpha and beta tests in 2011. The feedback from these tests will determine when we will do public beta tests and ship the game.

First they're closed beta tests, as in friends and family, and second it doesn't say "at the end of the year".
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phrosnite
    @Dedodido: 

Only time will tell. I'll stick with "at the end of the year".
    Danbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Danbo

Wow GW2 looks amazing, can't wait.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Looks great. I notice that they made the damage output and hp much higher. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This game looks amazing and very polished. I can’t wait for it to come out!

Between this and Rift I think I’ll have to give starwars a miss three mmo’s will just be to much!

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Vorbis

Only thing that bothers me is the lack of dedicated healers, this everyone heals themselves stuff is crap, say what you like about it but some people only enjoy healing and that rogue was still taking tons of damage. 

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Seppli
    @Vorbis said:

" Only thing that bothers me is the lack of dedicated healers, this everyone heals themselves stuff is crap, say what you like about it but some people only enjoy healing and that rogue was still taking tons of damage.  "

There's healing, definitely. It's just de-emphasized. Somewhere in these videos he talks about Guardians throwing down some kind of Healing Rune AoE on the ground and ranged classes shooting out of that rune dealing AoE healing around their target, effectively damaging the enemy and healing the melee fighters.

Healing always is a teamwork thing and is only necessary in grouping situations. Thus there doesn't need to be a dedicated healing class. Everybody can heal, if you play a certain way and more importantly playing off each others support abilities.

If people who like healing will jump on this take on healing - only time will tell. I think it's brilliant.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Vorbis
    @Seppli said:
    " @Vorbis said:

" Only thing that bothers me is the lack of dedicated healers, this everyone heals themselves stuff is crap, say what you like about it but some people only enjoy healing and that rogue was still taking tons of damage.  "

There's healing, definitely. It's just de-emphasized. Somewhere in these videos he talks about Guardians throwing down some kind of Healing Rune AoE on the ground and ranged classes shooting out of that rune dealing AoE healing around their target, effectively damaging the enemy and healing the melee fighters.  Healing always is a teamwork thing and is only necessary in grouping situations. Thus there doesn't need to be a dedicated healing class. Everybody can heal, if you play a certain way and more importantly playing off each others support abilities.  If people who like healing will jump on this take on healing - only time will tell. I think it's brilliant. "
    Problem is, I find dealing damage on MMOs to be rather dull, would much rather heal friends while they do the killing. Giving everyone some heals is fine, but I hope there are ways to make your character become better at healing/support than those who just want to DPS. Maybe there doesn't "need" to be dedicated healers, but I hope the role isn't removed completely because everyone can heal.
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zityz
    @Vorbis said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " @Vorbis said:

There's healing, definitely. It's just de-emphasized. Somewhere in these videos he talks about Guardians throwing down some kind of Healing Rune AoE on the ground and ranged classes shooting out of that rune dealing AoE healing around their target, effectively damaging the enemy and healing the melee fighters.  Healing always is a teamwork thing and is only necessary in grouping situations. Thus there doesn't need to be a dedicated healing class. Everybody can heal, if you play a certain way and more importantly playing off each others support abilities.  If people who like healing will jump on this take on healing - only time will tell. I think it's brilliant. "
    Problem is, I find dealing damage on MMOs to be rather dull, would much rather heal friends while they do the killing. Giving everyone some heals is fine, but I hope there are ways to make your character become better at healing/support than those who just want to DPS. Maybe there doesn't "need" to be dedicated healers, but I hope the role isn't removed completely because everyone can heal. "
    It might be the case for you, which is fine. For me I'm glad there is no dedicated healer. I'm not a fan of having to wait for a specific # of monks with specific builds and the majority of the group's survival depends on if the monk is a complete asshole or not. Not saying this is you, but I'd say a good 80% of monks in gw1 were snobby assholes who thought they were entitled to anything because they were the most "important".  

It's a bummer for some yes, but fuck it I say Good riddance. It's a more streamlined experience.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Seppli
    @Vorbis said:

" @Seppli said:

" @Vorbis said:

Problem is, I find dealing damage on MMOs to be rather dull, would much rather heal friends while they do the killing. Giving everyone some heals is fine, but I hope there are ways to make your character become better at healing/support than those who just want to DPS. Maybe there doesn't "need" to be dedicated healers, but I hope the role isn't removed completely because everyone can heal. "
    It will probably come down to a specific weapon or weapon combination for every class, which will enable direct healing. Also, there's the elite skill you can choose out of a pool of abilities. Ontop of that, there's attribute point allocation. Building a character, who does healing and buffing primeraly, won't be a problem. Some professions certainly will be more suited to go full-on supporter/healer.

Switching weapons changes your 5 primary skills. So most, if not all classes, will have a weapon(-combination), which will grant healing skills. As far as I know, you can hotswap between 2 weapon presets in combat. If you decide to go for a healing and a supporting weapon loadout, you'll have 5 heals and 5 buffs-like abilities & your elite skill, which you can chose yourself. Plenty room for fun 'main healer' gameplay. That being said, Guild Wars 2 goes for a more actiony feel and more active combat. ArenaNet said they want to go for a FPS feel for their combat - so looking what's going on is emphasized, while managing healthbars ain't. As a Battlefield player, I know of 'healers' in FPS games. Medics definitely dish out too, fix you up in downtimes and rezz you in given the chance.

Also - what's more fun and less dull than just healing? Doing both. Throwing out heals. Giving support. Dealing damage. All at once. Non-restrictive dynamic gameplay.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Bestostero

Needs more mesmer announcements

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.