Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Guild Wars 2 -First Hints at PvP System in GameTrailers Interview

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

It's gonna be 'Server 1 VS Server 2 VS Server 3'...

I once dreamt up an open PvP mechanic for World of Warcraft. Players queuing up from their homerealm for a dedicated open pvp realm that's entirely designed for open PvP - Wartorn Azeroth Exclusively Filled With Open PvP-Relevant Content. Sounds like Guild Wars 2's gonna do something pretty much like that. Only instead of factions, it's your homeserver community VS other servercommunities. A weekly persistent campaign of war between 3 servers.

How awesome will this 'Server VS Server VS Server' PvP concept be for the community of any given realm? WE STAND UNITED! Brothers in Arms. My excitement for this production is through the roof.  I might finally get past my MMORPG malaise and return to true fascination for the genre.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

In previous interviews, they mentioned that the battle's difficulty would scale to the number of players. But I wonder what would happen if only one player participated? That wouldn't be very appropriate flavor-wise; perhaps there is some sort of minimum player limit? 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By meteora

That sounds pretty neat. The thing that bugged me about factions in WoW was that you couldn't interact with them in a PvP setting. This sounds like it would be pretty great, especially if they keep track of stats and all so it becomes all the more competitive.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Seppli
    @Geno: 

That was about dynamic events. PvE. PvP is player versus player.  As far as I know this is the first hint at what they're up to PvP-wise. A sentence or two in this video.

Difficulty of dynamic events will scale. More players = Higher difficulty.

Of course you cannot one-man a big boss event. Also, you'll never run into that situation.
    RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By RobbieMac
    @Seppli: 

I think he means the number of people competing in the server vs. server.  My guess it will be similar to the alliance battle format where there was some type of limit.  Then again I could be completely wrong, we will just have to wait and see.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.