Guild Wars 2 youtube question

#1 Posted by svxtc (91 posts) -

anyone know if Arenanet allows monetization of videos of their game content? i searched all of the legal info and don't see anything one way or the other. not sure if there is anyone out there that would know but i would be forever thankful. :)

#2 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

I think if you provide your own original content(commentary, graphics, etc) it's cool. If it's just gameplay it gets sticky. I don't know for sure but that seems the case with almost anything.

#3 Posted by StarvingGamer (8287 posts) -

I believe that even if you are adding your own content to it, it is at the copyright holder's discretion to pursue legal action. So while most companies don't care because A) it's not worth their time, B) it's basically fee advertising and C) it would be a PR nightmare if they started bullying the little guys, if Arenanet did decide to make a thing of it, the law would be on their side.

#4 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3341 posts) -

The best course of action would be to try to contact the relevant parties at ArenaNet and ask them. Otherwise, you're just guessing.

#5 Posted by Zips (38 posts) -

I was looking for this as well and came across this: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/content-terms-of-use.html

Note the first part there, specifically the first bullet point of the first question.

"The content must be used in a non-commercial context for private, personal use only"

#6 Posted by svxtc (91 posts) -

hmm. thank you sir.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.