Mac OS X Client Beta Officially Launched

#1 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -
#2 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1405 posts) -

Smart idea :) can't wait!

#3 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

Can Macs even run this game on reasonable settings? Most people have the mid/low-end Macs (because a low-end Mac still costs $1000 :P) which have integrated Intel graphics.

#4 Edited by RainVillain (480 posts) -

Really excited about this. Thinking of buying the digital version so that I can start playing asap!

Does anyone know how large the download file is? I'm in Canada with my bandwidth cap creeping up on me..

#5 Posted by Windshroud (28 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

Can Macs even run this game on reasonable settings? Most people have the mid/low-end Macs (because a low-end Mac still costs $1000 :P) which have integrated Intel graphics.

Can't speak for the machines with only integrated graphics, but it looks like it's definitely playable on an ~18 month old MBP. Wouldn't be my first option at the moment, but it saves a reboot into Windows.

#6 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Alright, I'm a noob when it comes to MMO's. It keeps saying I have to input a serial code to access the Mac client. Does that mean I have to purchase the game first?

#7 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

@mcderby4 said:

Alright, I'm a noob when it comes to MMO's. It keeps saying I have to input a serial code to access the Mac client. Does that mean I have to purchase the game first?

Yes the beta is only available to people who have bought the game.

and I can't wait till it's out on Mac. It's about it time Mac users got some love! :)

#8 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@Hector: So, I'd have to go and buy the physical copy to get access to the beta?

#9 Posted by shinboy630 (1133 posts) -
@mcderby4

@Hector: So, I'd have to go and buy the physical copy to get access to the beta?

The game is not in beta, just the OSX client. It all connects to the same live game severs.
#10 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@shinboy630: I understood that much yes, but I went to go access the Mac client, it kept asking me for my Serial code, which I obviously do not have.

#11 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3157 posts) -

@mcderby4: Because the Mac beta takes place in the release version of the game, you would have to actually purchase the full game, yes. Because they've said that both the Mac and Windows clients are usable by everyone who has access, I'm assuming a digital download will work as well as a boxed copy for your purposes.

#12 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

@mcderby4 said:

@shinboy630: I understood that much yes, but I went to go access the Mac client, it kept asking me for my Serial code, which I obviously do not have.

Yes you have to purchase the game to access the Mac OS X beta client. It's the only way as of right now.

#13 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam: @Hector: Hmm alright, the help has been much appreciated guys!

#14 Posted by StarFoxA (5138 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

My Macbook with an integrated Intel card (Intel HD Graphics 3000) can run games like Dead Space 2 and The Witcher in Bootcamp with reasonable graphical settings.

#15 Posted by MetalMoog (907 posts) -

Was excited about this until I read the Macbook Pro specs. Fuck. Looks like I'll continue playing this on my PC.

#16 Posted by FoxMulder (1633 posts) -

Was interested in the game when it came out, but don't have any other computers besides my Mac Book Pro. Diablo 3 ran fine on it, so I hope this does as well!

#17 Posted by Mowgers (378 posts) -

Runs fine on my 2 year old iMac. Just fucking around at the mo, haven't played with the settings any yet but yeah, seems ok.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.