Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Should we change servers?

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

With a bunch of people finding it hard to get onto Yak's Bend even a couple of hours after the start of BWE3 (it filled very quickly), I want to know what everyone else's feelings are on this at the moment.

Considering it works so well for all of the people who have been playing on it, it's a scary thought to make the change. But, IF there is an influx of new members closer to release, then it may just not be a viable option.

• Should we change servers?
    • Do any of you have a preference for where to go?

ED: Note the ground rules are nothing lower than medium population, and the server should be in the US to conserve the likeliness of playing as well as Yak's does.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Benny

I honestly think that the server population problems will be something everyone will experience at launch and they may also have been exacerbated by them reducing the overall number of servers. I suspect they will have gotten a lot of info from the BWE about server populations and I think, while it will still be problematic at launch, it shouldn't be game-breaking.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EXTomar

I haven't seen the situation but I suspect that even if they bring up a bunch of new servers they will still have difficulty getting onto servers during these events.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Benny

@EXTomar: This was the last beta weekend event so next time they bring up servers the game will have launched. I hope they got enough info from the beta weekend that they make enough servers to accommodate the huge influx of new players.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Maystack

I think we should stay on Yaks. Like said, ANet probably monitored server stress very closely, and change server population limits accordingly. Was there anyone in this weekend that wasn't able to access Yak's Bend at all due to population?

Although, if we do change, I think we should go for Crystal Desert. Because it rules.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EXTomar

Yes, I only meant to say that in situations like this it is better to sit tight until you see how launch goes. Going to another server in this window (between beta and launch) is just as risky if not more so.

Kri0s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kri0s

I had trouble getting on Yaks during one of the previous BWE's, but made it on there without a hitch on BWE3. Its really a toss up, the server population will flux regardless. I did not vote for Yak's Bend during the selection poll, but I think that is our home now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Speaking from experience, don't let launch queues have you make decisions about the server. It's a problem that sorts itself out within a week, maybe two. In SWTOR, Mind Trick was the 3rd busiest server and you could get a queue of up to 45 minutes or an hour during early access. A week later, there was no queues, and now a bunch of people were stuck on other servers because they couldn't handle a wait.

Also Yak's Bend has the word yak in it. Deserts ain't shit compared to yaks.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SamStrife

Would server load effect choosing your home server? If not then select Yak's as your home and guest around until the queue dies.

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By RobbieMac

No I don't think we should change. There is no doubt the number of servers will increase, considering what over a million people have already pre-purchased/pre-ordered GW2. Server stress is probably something Arenanet will also continue to monitor after release as well. From what I saw there were only a few that weren't on the Yak's Bend server and I am not sure if that was by choice or if it was full. Regardless we can't make final assumptions on servers from a Beta Weekend Event.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By shinboy630

I didn't really think this was an issue, until WvW queue's happened. If those are still prevalent a good while after launch because our server is so crowded, that would suck.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By UssjTrunks

Can people still join a server and play in the overflow, even if it's listed as "full"?

If that's not possible, then I don't know. Maybe we can assign a backup server that people should join if they can't get into Yak's.

I know that in the beta, Yak's was already at "medium" population 15-30 minutes after the beta went live. I imagine that most servers will become high population at some point though (all of the servers were listed as "full" on Sunday when I checked).

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

I wasn't aware of this problem, which seems weird given I only started playing the beta at about 3 a.m. on Sunday. If it becomes a problem at launch, we can just use the server-switching grace period ArenaNet says they'll put into place.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DeathTrap

I'd say, stick with Yak's Bend. It's a great name. Queue issues will get sorted out in the long run.

silentdante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By silentdante

i am very new to the guild but i think we should not change servers until it becomes a major problem. maybe just name a secondary server so that if the yak's server is full when a person goes to create a guild character they can make one on the backup to play, and then when yak's becomes joinable they can go there. i do think by launch they will have optimized servers even more and we hsouldn't have much problem unless you try ti join at the major chokepoints of server busy times.

airmikee99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By airmikee99

Queue's already? Hmm.. maybe I'll pick it up and play in December then.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Bollard

@selfconfessedcynic said:

With a bunch of people finding it hard to get onto Yak's Bend even a couple of hours after the start of BWE3 (it filled very quickly), I want to know what everyone else's feelings are on this at the moment.

What, this is absolute nonsense. For BWE3 I logged in on Sunday (and late on Sunday too), the 3rd day of the weekend, and was able to choose Yaks as my homeserver (it was "High"). Maybe it's only a problem when everyone is rushing to log on at the start?

My thoughts: No, no, no no and no.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Giefcookie

@UssjTrunks: You cannot choose a server marked "Full" as your home server.

But yes, I think you should switch to an RP server. Then Cynic couldn't make stupidly named characters!

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Subjugation

@Giefcookie said:

@UssjTrunks: You cannot choose a server marked "Full" as your home server.

But yes, I think you should switch to an RP server. Then Cynic couldn't make stupidly named characters!

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By UssjTrunks

@airmikee99 said:

Queue's already? Hmm.. maybe I'll pick it up and play in December then.

There is no queuing in this game. You play in "overflow" servers if the main server is full. We're talking about the actual server filling up and having to join another one.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dourin

Yeah, the queuing that was mentioned was referring to queuing to get into WvW.

curious_george

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By curious_george

@Chavtheworld said:

@selfconfessedcynic said:

What, this is absolute nonsense. For BWE3 I logged in on Sunday (and late on Sunday too), the 3rd day of the weekend, and was able to choose Yaks as my homeserver (it was "High"). Maybe it's only a problem when everyone is rushing to log on at the start?

They were all high by Sunday because they upped the server capacity sometime on Saturday (I believe it was a couple hours before free transfers ended). But by Friday evening/early Saturday there were many full servers (and at one point everything was full).

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Bollard

@Curious_George: Ah okay. I was wondering though, is the "High" "Full" thing related to the number of players who are on the server at that time, or the number who have it as their home server? Cause I've seen it change before, and unless that was them adjusting the limit again then there must be another explanation.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Curious_George said:

@Chavtheworld said:

They were all high by Sunday because they upped the server capacity sometime on Saturday (I believe it was a couple hours before free transfers ended). But by Friday evening/early Saturday there were many full servers (and at one point everything was full).

Thanks Curious - you hit it on the head.

But yes, I think that the general concensus is don't worry about it for now, and I'm happy say that yall have swayed me.

Yak's it is!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.