Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero World Tour

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 26, 2008

The fourth game in the Guitar Hero series adds drums and vocals to the mix, along with a music studio that you can use to create new tracks and share them online.

Guitar Hero WT drums on Rock Band 1/2?

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Oni

So we all know by now Rock Band drums will work on GHWT by reducing the amount of note paths to 4, Neversoft has actually taken the time to remap all the charts for RB drums, and props for that. But how will GHWT drums work with Rock Band? Seeing as how those drums have 3 pads and 2 cymbals, they'd have to manually remap the charts like Neversoft has done to prevent stuff like the snare being mapped to a cymbal, right? Does anyone have any information as to how this will work, or if the GHWT drums are compatible with Rock Band at all? I'd hate to have to switch back to RB's drums every time I want to play RB instead of GHWT.

BranDong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BranDong

I wonder if you'll get less points in guitar hero drums if you use rock band drums do the fact that you are losing a note that you would normally play?? hrmm..

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By clubsandwich

that's the same thing I've been asking to myself...

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Megalon

I'm largely basing my drum purchasing dilemma on how this plays out. I want the GH ones, but if it's mapped weird in RB than I'll probably go with the new RB ones as they seem pretty safe on GHWT.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By WickedCobra03
    Q said:
    "I'm amazed that we haven't gotten answers on this from any of the gaming press.  I really want the GHWT drums after playing with them at my local BB but not if they don't work well with RB2."
    Exactly!  I wanted to be able to go out Sunday(tomorrow) and be set on which one to buy without really much of a question.
    samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By samfo
    caption
    caption
    I believe you will only use the first 4 pads, Which would be
    Red: Pad, Yellow: Cymbal, Blue: Pad, Orange: Cymbal

caption
    caption

Then that would SORT OF look the same as Rock Band's:
    Red: Pad, Yellow:Pad, Blue: Pad and Green:Pad

I highly doubt HMX went through their whole back catalogue of all their songs and made a commitment to upcoming dlc to completely remap drums.

Timma1083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Timma1083
    SamFo said:
    "
    caption
    caption
    I believe you will only use the first 4 pads, Which would be
    Red: Pad, Yellow: Cymbal, Blue: Pad, Orange: Cymbal

caption
    caption

Then that would SORT OF look the same as Rock Band's:
    Red: Pad, Yellow:Pad, Blue: Pad and Green:Pad

I highly doubt HMX went through their whole back catalogue of all their songs and made a commitment to upcoming dlc to completely remap drums.

"
    Although wouldn't it make more sense to just make the orange cymbal do nothing and have the green pad actually be the green note?

Oh well, we won't know until someone tries it.
    samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By samfo

It probably would make more sense, but I don't think they're going to try and make it easy for us :P

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Oni

Ok, the game is out now, somebody please answer this! I NEED to know.

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By maxx77

The GHWT drums are compatible with Rock Band, but not in the way you'd probably like. RB does nothing to remap the pads for the GHWT drums. The left-most pad is red, the same as the left-most pad on the RB kit, so that one is fine. The middle and right pads are blue and green, respectively, similar to RB's drums. The left cymbal is yellow. RB treats that like the yellow pad on the RB kit. The right cymbal, which is orange, gets no use at all, RB doesn't recognize it.

So, as far as the three pads are concerned, the GHWT drums work fine. When playing snare and hi-hat, red and yellow respectively, the GHWT drums work fine. But when the song calls for you to do a fill across the four colors, it gets weird. Since RB freely switches the sounds of each pad to suit the song you're on (yellow is sometimes hi-hat, sometimes it's a tom... blue is sometimes a tom, sometimes the ride cymbal... green is sometimes a tom, sometimes the crash cymbal...), it will feel counter-intuitive at times. You'll want to hit the orange cymbal instead of the green pad since you know it's a crash cymbal sound effect that's coming up. You won't want to hit the yellow cymbal when you know that yellow is meant to be the sound of a tom.

I've only tested this out for about 30 minutes so far. It was really weird but after repeating a few songs several times, I got used to it, for those particular songs at least. You have to re-train your brain and go against your instincts when the songs get tricky. When you're just doing the standard hi-hat/snare pattern endemic to most rock songs, the GHWT drums are fine. When you're asked to move around the drum set, like during a chorus, then they're not so great.

Hope that helps. Bottom line is you'll have to try it yourself and try to re-learn how to play the drums if you plan to use this kit with RB. It's not impossible, but it may not be worth your effort.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Oni

Yeah, re-learning seems to be the only way, which is unfortunate. I just got the GHWT bundle, and first thing I did was try the drums with Rock Band. Treating the hi-hat like a snare or tom (in fills) is just... fucking weird. I guess I'll keep my RB drums around for Rock Band as I don't want to re-learn everything and play weird stuff that just doesn't corespond the way you'd expect. I guess hoping for Harmonix to patch all their songs is pure madness, but hot damn I would have their babies if they did.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Snail

There seems to be a bug here.

This thread is on top of the message board, right behind the stickies, and yet the last post was 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.