Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hades

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 17, 2020

Hades is a rogue-like dungeon crawler in which you defy the god of death as you hack and slash your way out of the Underworld of Greek myth.

Extra reading if interested... by Stephen Fry

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

Just picked Hades up and started playing. Been holding off for full release and saw it was on sale today. I must say it lives up to everyone's hype of the game, fantastic feel, satisfying mechanics, and the dialogue makes the runs feel like you're actually progressing the story each time, blah blah blah. Wouldn't be surprised to see it on Game of the Year lists and I'm only 4 hours in.

Anyway, I think something that helped deepen my appreciation of it is I've been listening to a couple of audiobooks recently. I've always loved Greek mythology and was kind of a nerd for it back in school, even before we studied it in some version of English class. Blame Clash of the Titans for getting me into it, but it was kind of my first view into a connected universe, even before comics. Turns out, Stephen Fry is also a Greek mythology nut and has written (and most importantly, narrated) two books about the gods and heroes, entitled Mythos and Heroes respectively. Obviously, listening to Stephen Fry read anything is a delightful experience, but the way he's retold the stories of Greek myth make them feel far more contemporary than other sources. I can highly recommend them if you have some Audible credits burning a hole in your digital wallet. It led to the first hour of meeting gods and mythological characters making me go "Ohhh, them! Cool!" I'm sure the actual books would give a similar effect, sans Mr. Fry's lovely reading voice, but let's be honest, it's damn hard to pronounce some Greek names and terms, so it's nice to have him to do it for you.

Also, one interesting note that might be a spoiler for the first boss - Megara, the first fury you encounter, is also the name of Heracles' (Romanized version, Hercules) first wife. She is tragically killed by the hero when he is given a hallucination by the goddess Hera making him believe his wife and children are monsters or wolves or similar (varies from telling to telling). This is what leads to him having to do his famous 12 labors to expunge his soul of the crime of killing family members (Should sound familiar if you've ever played God of War, a similar event happens to Kratos). Not sure if that's revealed later in the game or if they just used the name, I'm only a few hours in, just thought I'd mention it here.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@phoenix654: That Stephen Fry stuffs sounds good, maybe I'll give it a listen.

The game plays pretty fast and loose as needed with the mythology. Mostly because Zagreus is almost entirely an original creation of the game since the actual Greek mythology Zagreus is kind of a nothing character and/or is maybe just another name for Dionysus. There's a fun nod to that at one point.

They don't get into the mythological backstory of the Furies (Megaera or otherwise) very much in the game.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3 chaser324  Moderator

I actually just started reading through the classic Edith Hamilton tome Mythology because of Hades. Definitely a drier approach to the material than Stephen Fry, but it's a pretty damn comprehensive look at the full scope of Greek mythology.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero said:

The game plays pretty fast and loose as needed with the mythology.

I kind of figured it would. Nothing can be a straight up translation of the source material, especially with sources this old. It'd probably be even weirder if they used the actual character in question as a boss, since she's kind of a non-character, fridged girlfriend/wife in most non-Disney versions of the story I've heard. Good to know in any case.

I actually just started reading through the classic Edith Hamilton tome Mythology because of Hades. Definitely a drier approach to the material than Stephen Fry, but it's a pretty damn comprehensive look at the full scope of Greek mythology.

I'll have to look it up and see if an audio version exists. Dry doesn't bother me if it's a bit more academic, Mythos and Heroes are more oral tradition-like in their style. I guess this is kind of a trend with a certain kind of author lately because Neil Gaiman did his take on Norse mythology a while back. Much shorter than Stephen Fry's books, but also a good read. Now I just need someone to do Egyptian mythology...

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

this sounds cool, but i think Stephen Fry has an awful reading voice. better, is to just watch Jason and the Argonauts.

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I ate up Greek mythology as a kid. They were my fairy tales.
    GoW and Hades tackle it a bit but with care since Olympian gods are some serious douches.
    Hm guess GoW does it way more justice then.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Hayt

@nick said:

this sounds cool, but i think Stephen Fry has an awful reading voice. better, is to just watch Jason and the Argonauts.

Wow what a take.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

@hayt said:
    @nick said:

Wow what a take.

Stephen Fry and awful reading voice is something I've never heard of - that's crazy haha.

I mean, they got him to do the Harry Potter Audiobooks

Anyway yeah, I'd also recommend 'Bulfinch's Mythology' or 'The Greek Myths' by Robert Graves.

If you're interested in Norse mythology 'Norse Mythology' by Neil Gaiman is very accessible

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ulfhedinn: Yeah, basically what you learn by reading about Greek myths is that if you stand out, in any way, for any reason as a human being who is exceptional at just about anything (athleticism, battle, music, attractiveness, prosperity, etc.) you are deeply, deeply screwed because the gods will fuck up your life in creative and disturbing ways. GoW felt very accurate in that way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.