Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The second episodic sequel to Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode Two follows usual protagonists Gordon Freeman and Alyx Vance on their oft-interrupted journey to White Forest, a resistance base. Rockets and gnomes abound in Valve's latest addition to the series.

So this is five years old..............

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GeoffPeterson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GeoffPeterson1

It seems like only yesterday I played through this and experienced it's devastating ending. and while the only information that has come out on the next game in the series in five years has been a few pieces of concept art I have not given up hope that one day I may get to play it.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By asurastrike

I should try finishing this at some point. After Episode one, I got burnt out on Half Life 2.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

At this point, I'm expecting to see, get, and complete a new SiN game before we even hear anything about a new Half-Life sequel.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By beargirl1

i actually just finished this for the first time yesterday. at this point, if they're taking so long then they're probably building an entire new engine or something.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mirado

@GeoffPeterson1: At this point, wouldn't it make more sense to get a Half-Life 3 out of it? I mean, with a five year gap between games, you're doing a disservice to both old and new fans by just putting out another piece of episodic content. For old fans, one would hope they'd have moved on to another iteration of the Source engine at this point (either a total overhaul or a brand new one), and would have more to show for the half-decade absence then four or five hours of gameplay, and new fans would have no clue what was going on at all. Hell, at this point some of us old fans are getting pretty forgetful.

When Valve decides to continue the Half-Life series, I hope the blow it out completely with new tech and a full game behind it. Just like HL2 introduced a strong emphasis on physics based puzzle solving in a FPS vs the original.

(Then again, HL2; EP 3 is fine too. D:)

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I found the Half Life 2 and both Episodes pretty average, probably because I played them several years after they were released and the groundbreaking elements of the game no longer seemed particularly groundbreaking. Consequently I'm not too fussed about another Half Life game. Portal is considered it's spiritual successor anyway. That's good enough for me.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Thank you for reminding me about Episode 2's cliffhanger/WHAT?! ending that made the initial wait for Episode 3 even worse. It had just faded away into nothingness...

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I must admit I never really thought particularly highly about Half Life 2 and the it's "Episodes".

Gameplay was average, graphics was good granted, but the story was lackluster and the settings were not very interesting. The best part was before you escape City 17.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CptBedlam

@Sweep said:

I found the Half Life 2 and both Episodes pretty average, probably because I played them several years after they were released and the groundbreaking elements of the game no longer seemed particularly groundbreaking.

I finished HL2 two days after its release and I found it pretty average. :-/

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By niamahai

HL3 Ep3: The introduction of iron sights!

Calling it now!

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@niamahai said:

HL3 Ep3: The introduction of iron sights!

Calling it now!

The new CS didn't even have iron sights

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Fallen189

Episode 3 is vaporware

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ajamafalous

So is TF2!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@MooseyMcMan said:

Thank you for reminding me about Episode 2's cliffhanger/WHAT?! ending that made the initial wait for Episode 3 even worse. It had just faded away into nothingness...

I still contend that they never had any clue where to go from there anyway.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ducksworth

I should play this game at some point...but then I should play the first before I do that. It's a bit frustrating because I found Half-Life 2 CD's in a big box of old PC games (I think my dads friend gave them to him) but there's no CD key, it's probably not a huge deal since the game isn't that expensive to begin with.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ravenlight

@Ducksworth said:

I should play this game at some point...but then I should play the first before I do that. It's a bit frustrating because I found Half-Life 2 CD's in a big box of old PC games (I think my dads friend gave them to him) but there's no CD key, it's probably not a huge deal since the game isn't that expensive to begin with.

HL2 requires activation on Steam and each key can only be used once, so you're probably out of luck anyway if it's a second-hand game. You should be able to pick it up for pennies if you wait for it to go on sale again, though.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By probablytuna

I should go and finish Episode 1 and 2....

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

@BabyChooChoo said:

At this point, I'm expecting to see, get, and complete a new SiN game before we even hear anything about a new Half-Life sequel.

The real question is... are we getting SiN Episode 2 or SiN 2?

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By StarFoxA

@Ducksworth said:

The first Half-Life has actually aged extremely well, except for Xen, but I didn't find it as bad as everyone typically complains. So yeah, be sure to play that before you move on to Half-Life 2 and the Episodes.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vitor

@Asurastrike said:

I should try finishing this at some point. After Episode one, I got burnt out on Half Life 2.

Dude, the ending is NUTS in an emotionally rending, tough sorta way. Definitely worth it.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By louiedog

5 years? That explains why I can barely remember anything about it. Something about a gnome, a rocket, and playing basketball against a team of striders.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

who cares they are still making alot of money which takes away the pressure to release this game to make bank, this could be the most brilliantly crafted game in history or a Duke Nukem Forever which is very unlikely. Imagine if this game is 100 gigs and instead of coming on disks it comes on a SSD USB drive.

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By TonicBH

@Mirado: What makes you think it's gonna be "episodic"? They could make a 10+ hour FPS story and still call it "Episode Three."

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if it's called "Half-Life 2 Aftermath" or something, I think Valve would save "Half-Life 3" for a big, new entry in the franchise and not just a conclusion of the Half-Life 2 saga.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aetheldod

Gameplay average????? Why you blasphemous evil people ... it has THE BEST FPS gameplay ever period !!"!!!! >:(granted its my fav game so im very forgiving of it :P ; I dont care if they just deliver an episode lenght continuation I just want to know what happens next and to see if the new Advisor is DR. Breen.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vikingdeath1

I Really liked Episode 2, Excluding that opening cavern sequence. But once you got on the road? and those two-legged things that Freaked me the Fuck out with that noise they made? awesome.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mirado

@TonicBH: Well, even a 10+ hour FPS story still fits the definition of episodic, assuming the slap the Episode 3 title on it. My only inclination is whatever hints Valve has slowly...leaked, I guess.

I think my main point is I'd hope for some radical tech shift, keeping in mind the gap between episodes. Even a 10 hour game will feel like a bit of a cop out if it's still dragging the Source engine behind it. That thing really could use some updating.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#27  Edited By BeachThunder

Episode 2 is fantastic; I would say it's the pinnacle of the HL franchise. I just hope Episode 3 comes out sometime this Millenium.

wordfalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wordfalling

Five years? My brain hurts a lot.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Evilsbane

@BeachThunder said:

Episode 2 is fantastic; I would say it's the pinnacle of the HL franchise. I just hope Episode 3 comes out sometime this Millenium.

This, it won't be episode 3 it would make no sense at this point just make Half Life 3.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Phatmac

Thanks for reminding me. I didn't really like the episodes that much.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By jonnyboy

The end of episode 2 has possibly the best example of voice acting of this generation. Listening to Merle Dandridge genuinely sobbing really took me by surprise. If you get the chance play the game with commentary on, she elaborates on it and her other roles in the game as well.

luke11685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well so we have just a cliffhanger in Half-Life 2 Episode 2 Gabe Newell didn't keep his promise about Half-Life 2 Episode 3.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Well so we have just a cliffhanger in Half-Life 2 Episode 2 Gabe Newell didn't keep his promise about Half-Life 2 Episode 3.

And this topic is over 5 years old. Please stop bumping ancient threads.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.