Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Several years after the Black Mesa disaster, Gordon Freeman awakens from stasis to aid a resistance movement against the Combine, a collective of trans-dimensional aliens that have conquered Earth.

Half-Life 2 refuses to start

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By beforet

Okay, so I have been playing HL2 for about 5 hours now. Now, the rotten bastard refuses to load up. What happens precisely is that I start the game, I get the Valve logo, and then I get to the menu screen. It's when the menu screen is still loading, when there's nothing but a blurry version of the picture that's going to be used for the background and the word "Loading" in the corner, that things go to shit. What first happens is the program autominimzes into the tray. I try to restore the window, and that's when it gets weird. Basically, the window does restore, but it's invisible. That is to say, I can't see the game and I can only see my desktop as well as any other windows that I have open, but I can't interact with them. I don't say that my computer has locked up entirely because I can still alt-tab out of HL2, allowing me to manipulate my desktop normally. Up to this point, the task manager thinks that the program is running just fine.  And that's my problem.

Now, I have already reinstalled the game(by which I mean telling steam to "Delete Local content" and then deleting it myself before installing it again), and I have tried rebooting the computer(how I miss the days when that could solve any problem on windows). I am at a loss of what to try. I'm going to try reinstalling steam itself next, though I can not fathom how that can help. I guess I ought to note that this only started happening after the recent patch. I do not want to say that Valve would release a patch that effectively breaks their game, but the correlation is there. 

So, any suggestions on where I should go from here?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Do you actually have a real videocard? Do you have enough ram to load anything?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Do you actually have a real videocard? Do you have enough ram to load anything?

"
    Did you miss the very first thing he said?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @CL60: Hey i'm just making sure he's not running it on intergrated graphics or something. Oh right, now I see it, he's already running the game. 

I'm going through a deva vu, I swear I seen a thread like this before, someone had a solution.
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By beforet

Yes I do have a proper graphics card and 4GB of RAM. Would you have me post my specs?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By beforet

Okay, reinstalling worked as expected, which is to say not at all. Any suggestion? At all? I'm at a loss here.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Supermarius
    @Beforet said:
    " Okay, reinstalling worked as expected, which is to say not at all. Any suggestion? At all? I'm at a loss here. "
    it sounds like the game is crapping out on you when the game switches video resolutions in full screen mode. You can get around this (if it is the problem) by starting the game in windowed mode, as it will not change the overall resolution of your compy. I don't know why this would have randomly started now and not the first time you tried to play, but i think you should give this a shot.
    t2t2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By t2t2
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By beforet

I guess it was the resolution thing, as Supermarius' suggestion worked. It's the strangest thing. I was running both HL2 and my computer at the same resolution. I won't question it, I'll just play in windowed from now on. Thanks guys.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Supermarius
    @Beforet said:
    " I guess it was the resolution thing, as Supermarius' suggestion worked. It's the strangest thing. I was running both HL2 and my computer at the same resolution. I won't question it, I'll just play in windowed from now on. Thanks guys. "
    yeah. My solution is more of a workaround then a fix, but at least you can play for now. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.