How old are Gordon and Alex?

#1 Edited by Dtat (1621 posts) -

I've always assumed Gordon is something like 35 or so. And I thought Alyx was maybe 20. It always seemed a little wierd to me that there's a romance between them despite the huge age difference. 

It's just a minor point. It doesn't really bother me and it doesn't take anything away from the game or the characters, but it just always seemed a little odd. Do they ever come out and tell us how old they are? 

Edit: I meant "Alyx."
#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19156 posts) -
@Dtat said:
" It always seemed a little wierd to me that there's a romance between them despite the huge age difference. "
Whoa.  Maybe you need to be a little more open minded as to when someone can love another.  To me, there's no age limit for love.  Except for anyone under 18 in most places; that's illegal.
#3 Posted by CitizenKane (10501 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Dtat said:
" It always seemed a little wierd to me that there's a romance between them despite the huge age difference. "
Whoa.  Maybe you need to be a little more open minded as to when someone can love another.  To me, there's no age limit for love.  Except for anyone under 18 in most places; that's illegal. "
16 here in Florida.

Wait, what?
#4 Posted by KarlPilkington (2654 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
16 here in Florida.  Wait, what? "

Stay away from our children!
#5 Posted by ApertureSilence (1154 posts) -

I'd guess Alyx is somewhere between 25-29 years old. And 10-15 years ISN'T a huge age gap, really.

#6 Posted by august (3811 posts) -
@Dtat: Gordon is 27 during the events of Half-Life 1, and doesn't age while he's in stasis between Half-Life 1 and 2. 

Alyx is a toddler during the events of Half-Life 1. 20 years take place between the two games. 

So they're about the same age.
#7 Edited by Dtat (1621 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Dtat said:
Whoa.  Maybe you need to be a little more open minded as to when someone can love another.  To me, there's no age limit for love.  Except for anyone under 18 in most places; that's illegal. "

I knew this was going to happen. I'm not saying I think it's weird or wrong for people of different ages to fall in love. Not at all. It's just one of those things that no one ever brings up.
#8 Posted by Dtat (1621 posts) -
@august:
Oh ok. I could never figure out how old Gordon was.
#9 Posted by mracoon (4914 posts) -

Gordon was either in has late 20s or early 30s in HL1 so he and Alyx are around about the same age.

#10 Posted by august (3811 posts) -
@Dtat said:
" @august: Oh ok. I could never figure out how old Gordon was. "
It's right at the beginning of HL1. Have you played 1? Because you totally should.
#11 Posted by trophyhunter (5804 posts) -

like 35 or 40 he looks alot older than someone in there 20s

#12 Posted by august (3811 posts) -

I guess having a beard and glasses makes you look old, but yeah he's 27.

#13 Posted by Dtat (1621 posts) -

@august said:

" @Dtat said:
It's right at the beginning of HL1. Have you played 1? Because you totally should. "

Yeah I've played it. I guess I just never noticed.
#14 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@august said:
" @Dtat said:
It's right at the beginning of HL1. Have you played 1? Because you totally should. "
I played HL1 for a couple of hours and i dont remember reading/hearing 27 anywhere..
#15 Posted by Jadeskye (4359 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
" @Dtat said:
16 here in Florida.  Wait, what? "
And here in the UK...Wait, what?
#16 Edited by august (3811 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @august said:

" @Dtat said:
I played HL1 for a couple of hours and i dont remember reading/hearing 27 anywhere.. "

@ 2:50. 

Make sure you have the res/screen up high enough you can read the text.
#17 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -
@Dtat said:
It always seemed a little wierd to me that there's a romance between them despite the huge age difference. 
who said there was a romance  
u can care for someone non romatically 
and i dont think gordon has ever said anything to alyx sooooooooooooooooo
#18 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@august said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @august said:
" @Dtat said:
I played HL1 for a couple of hours and i dont remember reading/hearing 27 anywhere.. "

@ 2:50.  Mae sure you have the res/screen up high enough you can read the text. "
damn... i havent played any Valve games in a while.. i missed that unique feeling that no other developer manages to give me. 

Half Life for fucking life.
#19 Posted by Dtat (1621 posts) -

@august:
Nice one! Thanks!

#20 Posted by Dtat (1621 posts) -
@kishan6:
Yeah but come on. It's no big secret that that's where the story is going. Maybe she never explicitly admits her feelings for Gordon, but I could give half a dozen examples of suggested romantic interest just off the top of my head.
#21 Posted by august (3811 posts) -

No prob, guys. Valve games are cryptic as hell, which it makes it easy to forget/miss stuff. But in a world of fifteen minute long cutscenes, I'm glad they're around.

#22 Posted by Dtat (1621 posts) -
@august said:
"No prob, guys. Valve games are cryptic as hell, which it makes it easy to forget/miss stuff. But in a world of fifteen minute long cutscenes, I'm glad they're around. "

True dat! I've been replaying the Half life 2s and damn. No one does storytelling quite like Valve.
#23 Posted by Forcen (1766 posts) -
#24 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19156 posts) -
@Dtat: Ah, I see what you mean.  But you really shouldn't be weirded out about it at all.  It's like finding the choice for Alyx to be black to be odd because having a black, female protagonist in a video game is unconventional.
#25 Posted by august (3811 posts) -
@Forcen: That dude's theories concerning the GMan are really rather bad. Whatever he is is closer to some horrible, unknowable Lovecraftian entity.
#26 Posted by FalconCritical (224 posts) -

Y'know it was up to the community how the Gordon/Alyx thing progressed, there was warmth between them in HL2, sure - but it was only into the episodes when Valve actively sought feedback on the direction of that relationship that they started getting closer.

#27 Posted by Banksy122 (17 posts) -

It is hinted throughout the game that Alyx likes Gordon will all the flirting and shyness when her father jokes about them both, but ya, Gordon is 27 because he was put into statis by G-man between Half life 1 and Half life 2 which was 20 years and it is suspected that he didn't age, and Alyx would be in her early 20s.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.