What are Good Half life 2 mods ?

#1 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (125 posts) -

So I recently bought the orange box, I know I'm late but i was wondering what are good mods for it. I have only played the stanly parable mod so far. Also is there any good horror mods for the game Thanks in advance for the answers.

#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

Honestly, HL2 is great the way it is. Even by today's standards it still holds up.

I cant really help you because I never felt the need to mod HL2.

#3 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2272 posts) -

If you really enjoy Half-Life 2, go get Black Mesa Source. Its a remake of the original and is pretty fun.

Synergy is a fun co-op mod with new content if you don't mind playing with other people.

Goldeneye Source is a cool multiplayer mod.

Zombie Panic Source is good too, also a co-op mod.

If you have friends to play with, make them go download Shotgun Sunrise. Its an amazing and goofy co-op mod set in the wild west with zombies. Its rather short but sweet.

Also, you don't need to own any games to play HL2 mods. Since Team Fortress 2 is free, anyone can download mods, since they only require source.

#4 Posted by august (3833 posts) -
#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10280 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Honestly, HL2 is great the way it is. Even by today's standards it still holds up.

What? That seems oddly limiting, there's a lot of cool TCs that use the source engine.

#6 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (125 posts) -

Also does anyone know if there is a way to turn off cross hairs in half life 2 ?

#7 Posted by AlexW00d (6231 posts) -

Suicide Survival is the daftest thing you might ever play, so you should play that. Even if it does get boring after like 30 minutes.

#8 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

He's asking about total conversion mods (of which there are dozens), not 'mods that alter HL2.'
#9 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

The one that cleans up Alexs face

#10 Posted by Zaccheus (1792 posts) -
#11 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@Dagbiker said:

He's asking about total conversion mods (of which there are dozens), not 'mods that alter HL2.'

Ok, sorry, he asked about HL2 mods, I assumed he meant HL2 mods, not Source mods.

#12 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1560 posts) -

I came into this thread to suggest Plan of Attack, a team-based multiplayer mod that, as it turns out, has been abandoned for 6 1/2 years. You're welcome.

#13 Posted by ShockD (2400 posts) -

Counter-Strike is by far the best.

#14 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Research and Development is a really good puzzle mod and my favorite one. It has some slight story and the only down side is some wonky vehicle controls towards the end.

#15 Posted by Hexuality (30 posts) -
#16 Posted by DeF (4851 posts) -
  • Research & Development
  • Dystopia
  • Minerva
  • Mission Improbable (Episode 2 install required)

@ShockD said:

That's not a Half Life 2 mod.

#17 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

@DeF said:

• Research & Development
  • Dystopia
  • Minerva
  • Mission Improbable (Episode 2 install required)

@ShockD said:

That's not a Half Life 2 mod.

All of these, and also NeoTokyo.

#18 Edited by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -
@DeF said:

• Research & Development
I totally loved this mod. Non-combat (as in no standard guns - there are still enemies), puzzle solving gameplay using the game mechanics of HL2, but much of the solo explorational atmosphere of HL1. Great humour too. Some of the design and ideas were Valve-tier.
#19 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Please don't listen to this guy. Google "moddb". It will show you tons of mods for HL2. There are so many that I couldn't begin to list them here. The half life series has had more mods turn into full release games than any other game out there.

You owe it to yourself to find some great mods for HL2. Insurgency, Sourceforts, and PVK2 are great places to start.

#20 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

@Jace said:

@Dagbiker said:

Please don't listen to this guy. Google "moddb". It will show you tons of mods for HL2. There are so many that I couldn't begin to list them here. The half life series has had more mods turn into full release games than any other game out there.

You owe it to yourself to find some great mods for HL2. Insurgency, Sourceforts, and PVK2 are great places to start.

Again, he asked about HL2 mods, not Source mods.

#21 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Jace said:

@Dagbiker said:

You realize that most (basically all) of the early mod development for the source engine started as total conversions of HL2......right? You realize that if you go to moddb, everything I mentioned was listed by their author as a HL2 mod.....right?

http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life-2/mods

Swing and a miss.

#22 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

@Jace said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Jace said:

@Dagbiker said:

You realize that most (basically all) of the early mod development for the source engine started as total conversions of HL2......right? You realize that if you go to moddb, everything I mentioned was listed by their author as a HL2 mod.....right?

http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life-2/mods

Swing and a miss.

You don't have to be an asshole, It was a communication.

#23 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Shotgunblast97
Also does anyone know if there is a way to turn off cross hairs in half life 2 ?
cl_crosshair 0 should do it I believe
#24 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (125 posts) -

I'm sorry about the miscommunication I thought that half life 2 mods were just the same as source mods.

#25 Posted by project343 (2816 posts) -

Dystopia, Minerva, Zombie Panic: Source and SourceForts were some that I adored. No idea if the multiplayer ones still have communities though.

@Dagbiker said:

He's talking about total conversions (i.e. games that aren't Half-Life 2).

#26 Posted by TehBuLL (603 posts) -

Reasearch and Development. Me and a buddy drained like 8 hours one time into Sourceforts just messin around. Really though HL2 is one of the most heavily modded games around, just goto moddb.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.