Why rated M

#1 Posted by Phucking_dirty_chicken (56 posts) -

Why is Halo rated M? Theres really no blood, no "Swearing", so whats the big deal?

#2 Posted by joshuapohl (48 posts) -

I honestly have asked the same question a ton of times. I think they wanted it to be rated M because studies show that games rated mature sell a whole lot better than games in other ratings.

#3 Posted by Shawn (3843 posts) -

Because Cortana is way too hot for T

#4 Posted by Guerrilla_Mason (510 posts) -
joshuapohl said:
"I honestly have asked the same question a ton of times. I think they wanted it to be rated M because studies show that games rated mature sell a whole lot better than games in other ratings.
"
QFT...the average consumer is stupid, and some parents want to buy their children M games and R movies to look like the cool, hip mom/dad. It's pretty sweet.
#5 Posted by Artie (856 posts) -

If you shoot someone blood spurs out, and can spill onto walls and vehicles.

Also there's some swearing. It's a fairly low M rating, I always thought that M should be split up into two. Sort of like in the UK (I think) where there's a +15 and +18. so RE4 and GTA would get +18 but Halo and MGS2 would get the lower +15 rating.

#6 Posted by Dir_en_grey (37 posts) -

The whole point of the game is killing things.  It's that over all objective that makes the game made for mature audiences.  That's probably the main reason.  I think it's more of a teen game, though. 

#8 Posted by DualReaver (3792 posts) -

I think they should treat them like movies, have 14+ and have 17+ and have pg-13 basically what Artie said.

#9 Posted by elliooo (299 posts) -

The object of the game is to kill people, people DIE - that's why its rated M. G violence will fall under stuff like mech battles, tanks etc. where you can't see people dying.

#10 Posted by DualReaver (3792 posts) -

Umm, there is a lot of teen rated games that involve killing people.

#11 Posted by HistoryInRust (6565 posts) -

Because robots with accents are frightening.

#12 Posted by elliooo (299 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"Umm, there is a lot of teen rated games that involve killing people.
"
Well I was referring to the Australian classification where we don't actually have a Teen rating :P But I see what you mean about plenty of Teen rated games with killing - I guess Halo has a strong focus on killing, and is perhaps more 'realistic' in the depictions of violence than some other games.
#13 Edited by DualReaver (3792 posts) -

Oh yeah you guys are a little more strict than us aren't you?

(By us I mean Canada and US)

#14 Posted by TimesHero (873 posts) -
Shawn said:
"Because Cortana is way too hot for T
"
I lol'd
#15 Posted by JethroVegas (96 posts) -

I do not know why, but yeah, the fact that Halo and Suffering: Ties That Bind have the same rating is just bizarre to me.

#16 Posted by Conner (94 posts) -
Artie said:
"If you shoot someone blood spurs out, and can spill onto walls and vehicles.

Also there's some swearing. It's a fairly low M rating, I always thought that M should be split up into two. Sort of like in the UK (I think) where there's a +15 and +18. so RE4 and GTA would get +18 but Halo and MGS2 would get the lower +15 rating.
"
I agree. The two different "M" ratings would help a lot because Halo really should be a T game IMO.
#17 Posted by oWarlock360o (210 posts) -

so those little 10 year olds dont have Fucking seizures while cussing you out

#18 Posted by Wyld (322 posts) -

Halo 3 gets a M rating because the flood is in it.  Duh! Every game the flood is in there is an M rating.

#19 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (4203 posts) -

Yeah, it's just the way that there are some movies that barely make an "R" rating, and then there are those movies that are a "Hard R."

#20 Posted by Phucking_dirty_chicken (56 posts) -

There are still like 9yearolds playing it.

#21 Posted by tancred8120 (102 posts) -

YOu can see some blood when shooting. A lot of times you see it on the ground too. And Flood. 'nuff said

#22 Posted by twenty0ne (3056 posts) -

Blood, violence, some swearing.

IMO, I think it should be rated teen...

#23 Posted by DarkLegend (1383 posts) -

Violence and language are good enough reasons.

#24 Posted by Homer (1366 posts) -

Look at when people get sniper heasshots theres blood everywhere.

#25 Posted by sculsoldi3r (1355 posts) -

Because esrb doesn't like black people and sergeant is black.

#26 Posted by carzy (303 posts) -
SpikeSpiegel said:
"Artie said:
"If you shoot someone blood spurs out, and can spill onto walls and vehicles.

"
That would make a lot of sense but then again why would they implement something that made sense?
"
exactly
#27 Posted by Systech (4190 posts) -

This is why we need a 15+ rating for games.

#28 Posted by CharleyTony (1021 posts) -

the m rating is probably because of all that religious propaganda... Master Chief being a demon and all .. !

#29 Posted by Carmel_Chewy (355 posts) -
Shawn said:
"Because Cortana is way too hot for T
"
It always made me wonder why "Partial Nudity" isn't included on the ESRB ratings >_>

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.