Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 4

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 05, 2012

The first game in the second saga of the Halo sci-fi series has the Master Chief awakening from cryostasis as he explores the mysterious Forerunner shield world Requiem, fights a newly-formed Covenant group, and accidentally awakens an ancient evil.

Bullet Magnetism looks ridiculously over-done! Am I crazy?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Watching Giantbomb's coverage of Halo 4 makes me a bit queezy, especially as a PC gamer, as it looks like the level of magnetism is insane in this game. I know that Bungie half pioneered, half perfect the way that things like magnetism and autoaim work (even Halo: Combat Evolved had magnetism if you dug into the PC info with those kick ass mod tools), but the level of magnetism looks like it took almost all of the skill out of lining up shots. There was one guy wildly jerking his aim around spamming his carbine and got a bunch of headshots without even having a red crosshair, and he prevailed.

Were past games that intense and I just never noticed until going back to my PC, auto-aim free roots? Or is it really as balls deep as it seems to be with the magnetism?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Reach seemed like that as well. As someone who plays shooters on both PC and Xbox, I was often surprised when I landed a shot I didn't expect to for half a second, and I've gotten a fair amount of good shots while moving the crosshair that I never should have.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Cramsy

The kill cams are really off sometimes and it feels the same as the other games to me

Please, tell us more about how good you are on the PC and your auto-aim free roots

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Alexandru

yes

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By EVO

@Cramsy said:

The kill cams

Kill cams?! Fuck yeah, glad they added this. Does the last kill of the match get replayed too?

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As stated above, kill cams, just like in COD, are inaccurate.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zekhariah

Having a lot of auto aim is one of the things that Halo does to make FPS workable on console (otherwise you end up spaming scope zoom in....).

Looks a bit odd,but in the moment it probably feels fine (like past halo games).

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Syndrom

the kill cams are fucking off.

Generiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Generiko

I feel like I should not be getting as many headshots as I do

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By VoshiNova

I'm looking for chris with the white car

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11  Edited By impartialgecko

That's kind of always been the case for most console shooters. The kill cams seem to make it more noticeable.

Also I'm going back to my pure, green, natural, auto-aim free roots of PC shooting. Back when men where men, women were women, and people didn't give a rat's arse about the piece of plastic you used to play the game because it was a damn good game.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ozzdog12

@Cramsy said:

The kill cams are really off sometimes and it feels the same as the other games to me

Please, tell us more about how good you are on the PC and your auto-aim free roots

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

+1 to kill cams are always off

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@MordeaniisChaos: The auto-aim is maybe a bit much (and I do mean maybe), but it's not really noticeable unless you're turning while trying to aim at someone who's sprinting, I've not noticed any problems with bullet magnetism though. The kind of scenario you're describing isn't anything I've encountered in the game and if you're judging by the kill cams then don't. I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with the kill cams, but it's obvious that they're capable of displaying very inaccurate replays of what actually happened. They sometimes show the crosshair as having been far to the right or left of the player who died, when they were actually dead-on.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zombie2011

It's not that bad, you're watching kill cams which are inaccurate in every game.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gravier251

The auto aim/bullet magnetism has definitely been present for some time now. It does help alleviate the issue with controllers being less precise.

I'm not too sure on Halo 4 but I can recall it was pretty extreme in Halo 2, especially with the whole "swipe snipe" thing being possible. Reminds me of a rather old video that pointed out the aim assistance on it. Seems it was re-uploaded relatively recently to youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocyYwLCDyCU

At about 2:02 in shows a pretty huge margin of error for the shot and the video is recorded in split screen so latency, etc. Is not an issue.

Anyway, aim assist on consoles is kind of necessary though it can be a bit much sometimes.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Gamer_152: I've mostly been going on actual playing, not the kill cams, which ARE awful, but I feel like that's a combination of network stuff and magnetism. And I doubt it's going to show a guy's aiming being erratic (in a way that look very human-error more than network-interpolation/errors) with the guy he's shooting at moving smoothly, and most of his shots hitting the face.

@Cramsy said:

PC games don't have auto-aim, and usually a lot less interpolation on shots, and less "give" on shots. It's a simple fact. You don't need to be a dumbass just because I offered a potential reason I was over-estimating the issue in the game.

That said, I think auto-aim is fucking way overdone in shooters today. You shouldn't be able to run circles around a guy and have the game practically do the tracking for you. Especially when you're trying to look past him to shoot a guy over his shoulder. I actually end up finding it a hindrance in most games now that I've adjusted to not having it. I understand why it's there, but I hate that no game lets you turn it off. It should absolutely be a matter of taste that the player can choose to toggle.

@Gravier251 said:

The auto aim/bullet magnetism has definitely been present for some time now. It does help alleviate the issue with controllers being less precise.

I'm not too sure on Halo 4 but I can recall it was pretty extreme in Halo 2, especially with the whole "swipe snipe" thing being possible. Reminds me of a rather old video that pointed out the aim assistance on it. Seems it was re-uploaded relatively recently to youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocyYwLCDyCU

At about 2:02 in shows a pretty huge margin of error for the shot and the video is recorded in split screen so latency, etc. Is not an issue.

Anyway, aim assist on consoles is kind of necessary though it can be a bit much sometimes.

I would argue auto-aim is not at all needed, but that's just my perspective. And I remember the Halo 2 stuff, but as far as I remember, Halo 2 was the absolute worst offender. I know they tackle that stuff a lot in Halo 3, and by the time Reach came around, if you had a good connection, you felt like you were getting hits you should be hitting, missing ones you shouldn't pretty much all the time. Halo 2/3 might have also felt a little more forgiving because of the BRs burst fire making hits a lot easier (compare using the carbine to the BR, for example. I missed all the time with the carbine in H3, but never with the BR).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By csl316

I actually don't mind it in Halo because it's a different game than Call of Duty.  Since you don't instantly die with a headshot (unless it's a sniper rifle or Swat), it makes one on one battles more about positioning and motion than just headshots.  It also makes you feel kind of bad ass, honestly.

It still takes skill.  If I'm better than someone I'll win that duel.  But if some new person guns me down because I'm running around in the open with reckless abandon, I deserve to get shot.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By laserbolts

It's the same as in the previous games. It doesn't bother me because you still have to be fairly good in order to rack up headshots.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ds8k

@Cramsy said:

Geez, calm down. The amount of auto-aim in console FPS is extremely alarming, especially to PC gamers that aren't aware of it.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NickL

The auto aim is definitely heavy on the campaign, my gun gravitated towards those dogs heads.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#22  Edited By sammo21

I have found the online to be wildly unbalanced so far, but that's kind of the problem with level based unlock progression. That and either the game is showing its own lag or issues with the kill cams consistently showing bs shots that are seemingly 2" away from the target or 2 hit BR/DMR kills.

sf2733

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sf2733

@ds8k: Actually maybe you should calm down seeing as how his response was completely appropriate."Extremely alarming"? Its fucking auto aim in a console shooter, not a big deal.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Sooty

Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six 3 had no auto aim on the original Xbox and it made the multiplayer so satisfying.

Now games pretty much do a 180 for you and snap on to them. I've seen it happen on Call of Duty so many times. Halo is a little more subdued, but not by much.

Sad that they have to throw in so much aim assist for the mass market appeal. "How do I controller?"

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MideonNViscera

I think the autoaim may be a bit higher in this one. I'm basing this on how often my crosshairs get pulled off the guy I'm shooting when his teammate crosses in front of him.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.