Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Bungie and Their Vehicles - Are They Stubborn or Just Stupid?

• 78 results
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

5 iterations of Halo and still no improvements to their lacking vehicle control scheme...

It's bewildering to me how their control scheme, which doesn't allow to drive one way and look another, still stands in this day and age. Especially daunting, because this shortcoming does effectively rend impossible a much anticipated change - driving and gunning simultaneously when playing solo. The AI just doesn't get the job done. Fact.

I very much enjoy legendary difficulty setting when engaged in infantry combat (except when I'm running out of ammo). I just can't deal with the vehicle passages. Playing solo, they're hell. Being reliant on the AI either way you play it, driving or gunning, just doesn't do the trick. The obvious remedy being letting us drive and gun simultaneously - which once again would require the ability to drive one way while looking another. 

Ontop of that misery, there is the sad fact that my spartan takes the majority of the incoming damage instead of the vehicle. Why would I have shields on my suit and none on my vehicle? Why don't the same mechanics apply to a vehicle as to a Spartan - it would make the vehicle gameplay feel a lot better? In my humble opinion, us players should be protected from incoming fire in a vehicle instead of being the weak link. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Not gameplay wise or in any other conceivable way.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoelTGM

I've always liked the warthog controls.  In the tank where you can shoot while driving the left analog stick controls the movement, while the right stick controls the aim... so they do have those kinds of controls where it's needed.  Otherwise, when you're just driving a warthog, it's fun to slide the back end out.  And in the ghost it seems to work because you have to turn to aim. 

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Azteck

I can agree on some level with you when it comes to absorbing heaps of damage in vehicles, it's pretty strange when you think about it. As for controlling the vehicles, I have no issues with that. I mean, have you flown the Banshee, or driven the Chopper in H3? Works perfectly fine. It just so happens that the Warthog lacks weaponry for the driver, which makes sense too.

Moztacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Moztacular

I dont mean this to sound sarcastic, I just don't play as many FPS as I used to, but what are other FPS games have good vehicle controls, or those better than the way bungie does it in halo?

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Jeffsekai

because they are fine.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I LOVE the way vehicles control in Halo. Mmmmm so good

Trifork89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Trifork89

Hm.. I don't know i kind of thought the vehicle controls were functional enough, Also it seems that most of your complaints regarding driving and gunning are mostly related to the Warthog.. there's a lot of other vehicles that control much better for shooting and driving. 

Oh and taking more damage from oncoming fire than the thing you're driving is pretty stupid i agree with that.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By finstern

Tank is the only vehicle you need to look around while driving, warthog and mongoose are too fast and if you are driving you cant do anything else, you don't sit in your car not facing the road all the time. Any vehicle with guns can be driven in any direction while looking in another ie. everything other than the mongoose and warthog.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

It's by design mate. It makes sense with the way the cars behave. I've actually played a Combat Evolved mod that lets you do that, and fuck me is it terrible.  

Also, why don't you just coop that shit? I agree with the AI being a pain with the driving a lot of the time, but thats what coop is for. That isn't bungie's fault, that is just a fact of AI. They can only be so good.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

Maybe you just suck at driving. I don't have a problem with the vehicles.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Raymayne

Vehicle controls in Halo are brilliant, you're a fool to think otherwise.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seppli
    @moztacular said:

" I dont mean this to sound sarcastic, I just don't play as many FPS as I used to, but what are other FPS games have good vehicle controls, or those better than the way bungie does it in halo? "

Certainly Battlefield.

@DOUBLESHOCK said:

" I've always liked the warthog controls.  In the tank where you can shoot while driving the left analog stick controls the movement, while the right stick controls the aim... so they do have those kinds of controls where it's needed.  Otherwise, when you're just driving a warthog, it's fun to slide the back end out.  And in the ghost it seems to work because you have to turn to aim.  "

It's not like you can't have squirrely vehicles with a different control scheme. 

@Finstern said:

" Tank is the only vehicle you need to look around while driving, warthog and mongoose are too fast and if you are driving you cant do anything else, you don't sit in your car not facing the road all the time. Any vehicle with guns can be driven in any direction while looking in another. "

Guess you don't value combat awareness. It's not like you don't use the Warthog to kill dudes either. And don't tell me what I can or cannot do. I certainly can look around while driving fast, it's not black magic you know.
    hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hondorondo
    @Raymayne said:
    " Vehicle controls in Halo are brilliant, you're a fool to think otherwise. "
    its on discussion. mind your thoughts
    Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Malakhii
    @Seppli: Someone has it out against Reach......
    finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By finstern
    @Seppli: Can you fire a gun at the same time you are driving a warthog? I don't think so, take a chill pill dude. Go back to Bad Company, you clearly don't enjoy this game.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seppli
    @Raymayne said:

They must be brilliant. They are limiting where you're looking to where you're driving. Brilliant for the mentally handicapped who can't manage to do two things at the same time. Like driving at high speeds and gunning effectively.

Bungie knows the gaming masses. That's admittedly brilliant.
    Stinky2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Stinky2

took me a minute or two to get used to driving the warthog again but after that, its a totally fine control scheme, fun even. 

i may be  remember this wrong, but i thought the previous Halo games allowed some machine gunning and not just the big cannon while driving the tank. 
    (always loved any tank mission.) 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#18  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm adamant this is by design and not a flaw of the controls. Personally I've always felt like all of Bungie's vehicles have felt exactly like they should do when driven and as far as taking damage in vehicles goes while some vehicles offer more protection than others I believe it's again done by design that there's usually some effective means of removing someone from a vehicle besides just pumping endless rounds into it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Seppli
    @Finstern said:
    " @Seppli: Can you fire a gun at the same time you are driving a warthog? I don't think so, take a chill pill dude. Go back to Bad Company, you clearly don't enjoy this game. "
    Well - the Warthog sequences are a fucking pain on legendary, mainly because of the sad fact that Bungie thinks it's okay to be reliant on subpar AI when playing solo. It's not.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seppli
    @Gamer_152 said:

" I'm adamant this is by design and not a flaw of the controls. Personally I've always felt like all of Bungie's vehicles have felt exactly like they should do when driven and as far as taking damage in vehicles goes while some vehicles offer more protection than others I believe it's again done by design that there's usually some effective means of removing someone from a vehicle besides just pumping endless rounds into it. "

Well - I guess then Halo Warthog sequences on Legendary are broken by design.
    Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Feser

@Seppli: 
     Do you honestly think that Bungie is going to change one of the hallmarks of standard Halo gameplay (AKA, how to drive a Warthog) because some people sometimes play solo and cannot use the Warthog effectively? It's an accessible vehicle that has controls that differentiate it from other vehicles. While I see a little tiny drop of reason in that you want to look around, it is very easy to catch a glance of an enemy (Human or computer controlled) while driving by and guessing exactly where they are going to go.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Azteck
    @Seppli said:
    " @Raymayne said:
    Brilliant for the mentally handicapped who can't manage to do two things at the same time. Like driving at high speeds and gunning effectively.
    Might wanna chill out on the name-calling. It's not really helping your crusade.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seppli
    @Azteck said:

" @Seppli said:

" @Raymayne said:
    Brilliant for the mentally handicapped who can't manage to do two things at the same time. Like driving at high speeds and gunning effectively.
    Might wanna chill out on the name-calling. It's not really helping your crusade. "
    I'm not really calling anyone anything. Then again... I'm a fool to think badly of Bungie's trademark vehicle controls - according to Raymayne.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#24  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @Seppli said:
    " @Gamer_152 said:

" I'm adamant this is by design and not a flaw of the controls. Personally I've always felt like all of Bungie's vehicles have felt exactly like they should do when driven and as far as taking damage in vehicles goes while some vehicles offer more protection than others I believe it's again done by design that there's usually some effective means of removing someone from a vehicle besides just pumping endless rounds into it. "

Well - I guess then Halo Warthog sequences on Legendary are broken by design. "
    The way the Warthog feels to drive has pretty much become a trademark of the Halo series for most people but I can see you're not a fan of the vehicle controls. Would you really go as far as to say they're broken though? I mean you may not like them all that much but the vehicles aren't unusable surely.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Seppli

Btw. it's not just the Warthog.

You CANNOT strafe and gun in the Halo tanks. While haven't had the pleasure of commandeering a Scorpion yet in Reach, I remember my Legendary Halo 3 playthrough and being quite pissed about it.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Sounds like someone isn't a beast at the game and is now trying to justify not being great at Reach even though he's playing the highest difficulty and it should be hard. 

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Seppli said:
    " Btw. it's not just the Warthog.  You CANNOT strafe and gun in the Halo tanks. While haven't had the pleasure of commandeering a Scorpion yet in Reach, I remember my Legendary Halo 3 playthrough and being quite pissed about it. "
    Tanks are impossible to strafe with. Have you not seen a tank before?
    Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Novyx

If you don't like it, why are you playing solo on legendary? This is your problem, not Bungie's. If you're playing this for entertainment and you're not entertained, either stop or admit you have a problem.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Seppli
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " Btw. it's not just the Warthog.  You CANNOT strafe and gun in the Halo tanks. While haven't had the pleasure of commandeering a Scorpion yet in Reach, I remember my Legendary Halo 3 playthrough and being quite pissed about it. "
    Tanks are impossible to strafe with. Have you not seen a tank before? "
    Dude - threads look one way, turret looks other way. Accelerate. Threads go one way. Turret still aims the other way. Strafing in tank - DONE.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zombie2011
    @Seppli said:
    Do you even know what strafe means? No tank can strafe....Oh wait The Wraith can, and it's tank in Halo.
    faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By faustyn
    yeah! fuck halo! you can't strafe with a tank! NOT LIKE IN BATTLEFIELD!  
    anyways...you're not supposed to SHOOT while driving. there's a reason for a passenger seat and a big GUN in the back of the warthog. it's called team work. also i may be wrong but people usually have 2 hands. it's pretty hard to keep them on the steering wheel and shoot from a machine gun at the same time.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Seppli
    @Novyx said:
    " If you don't like it, why are you playing solo on legendary? This is your problem, not Bungie's. If you're playing this for entertainment and you're not entertained, either stop or admit you have a problem. "
    I suffered through Halo 1 and 3 on Legendary. It has it's up and downs. Some firefights are absolutely amazing. By the skin of teeth kinda 'Die Hard' amazing. Other situations, especially some of the vehicular ones, are an unbalanced mess.

I decided against a Legendary playthrough after completing level 2 on Legendary. At least for my first playthrough. I'm gonna make a 'cinematic' playthrough on Normal, where I can 're-enact' how a kickass 'demon-like' spartan would fight and then I'll probably go at it on Legedary again, if I still feel like it.

I usually do the Legendary playthrough in the summer drought a year or two after release. Gaming season is about to kick off - or better Halo did kick it off...
    Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Novyx
    @Seppli: Have you considered just playing it how it's fun?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Seppli
    @faustyn said:

" yeah! fuck halo! you can't strafe with a tank! NOT LIKE IN BATTLEFIELD!  anyways...you're not supposed to SHOOT while driving. there's a reason for a passenger seat and a big GUN in the back of the warthog. it's called team work. also i may be wrong but people usually have 2 hands. it's pretty hard to keep them on the steering wheel and shoot from a machine gun at the same time. "

Ever played Crysis? They just made them Nano-suits interface with the vehicle's eletronics to remote control the turret. It's not impossible to 'justify' such gamedesign. Hell, just keep the soldier/spartan teammate on the turret and let the player drive and gun, because the player controls the whole jeep through its crew. No biggie at all, if you want to make it happen.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By captain_clayman

i happen to enjoy the vehicles.  i mean it's not like there's other fps's with GOOD vehicle controls.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Seppli
    @Novyx said:

" @Seppli: Have you considered just playing it how it's fun? "

Well - I love the challenge of Legendary at parts. Then again, I love the action flick pacing of a 'Normal' difficulty playthrough, albeit the challenge there would be to pull of cool shit you can't on an unforgiving difficulty setting. So it's either challenged by the game or challenge myself to play impressively. Games are merely the stage, it's the player who has to perform the piece and bring it to life. True that.

Don't worry, I'll have a good time playing this game. Especially with online co-op and firefight and competitive MP modes.
    Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Novyx
    @Seppli: Aaand now I can't take you seriously at all. You just said 'true that' TO YOUR OWN CRAZY STATEMENT. You are consuming, not performing. The creation of the game is art; the playing of it is simply entertainment. And on a more straightforward level, just play Heroic. It, surprise of surprises, is a bit of both normal and legendary.
    faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By faustyn
    @Seppli said:

" @faustyn said:

" yeah! fuck halo! you can't strafe with a tank! NOT LIKE IN BATTLEFIELD!  anyways...you're not supposed to SHOOT while driving. there's a reason for a passenger seat and a big GUN in the back of the warthog. it's called team work. also i may be wrong but people usually have 2 hands. it's pretty hard to keep them on the steering wheel and shoot from a machine gun at the same time. "

Ever played Crysis? They just made them Nano-suits interface with the vehicle's eletronics to remote control the turret. It's not impossible to 'justify' such gamedesign. Hell, just keep the soldier/spartan teammate on the turret and let the player drive and gun, because the player controls the whole jeep through its crew. No biggie at all, if you want to make it happen. "
    there are ways to justify this stuff, sure. but as far as i remember Crysis was a single player game. in halo your friends can do this stuff for you so there is no reason to give you that ability at all. i'm not trying to defend Bungie because i don't really give a damn, but i think you're just complaining about something that is not really a flaw. it's designed this way for a reason. and warthog sequences on solo legendary are easy. just drive and don't stop. AI teammates will take care of the shooting for you.  

i kinda understand why this may bother you, but well...this is halo. it's always been this way. and people dig it.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Seppli
    @Feser said:
    "

@Seppli: 
     Do you honestly think that Bungie is going to change one of the hallmarks of standard Halo gameplay (AKA, how to drive a Warthog) because some people sometimes play solo and cannot use the Warthog effectively? It's an accessible vehicle that has controls that differentiate it from other vehicles. While I see a little tiny drop of reason in that you want to look around, it is very easy to catch a glance of an enemy (Human or computer controlled) while driving by and guessing exactly where they are going to go.

"
    Well - I believe the fun in driving a Warthog doesn't come from it's control scheme, but by its physics. The Warthog has weight and power and speed. It claws aggressively into the ground proppelling it forwards. You can feel how the forces of inertia and the propulsion of the vehicle duke it out in every curve. Also, bouncy offroader speeding is always great.

I don't contest the fact that driving a Warthog is fun, I do state the fact that the control scheme is limiting. Limitations holding back the gamedesign. By choice or stupidity? That's the whole discussion in this thread. I'm firmly in the stupidity camp. It's not like we are incapable of growth. More complex controls will grow on you.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Amen to taking so much damage in the Warthog. I don't understand it.  

Also, the ally AI is shoddy and has always been shoddy. You'd think after five games that Bungie would have fixed this, but they haven't.  

So yeah, I agree with the OP.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Seppli
    @KingWilly: 

Thx for the support^^
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Seppli said:

" @PrivateIronTFU said:

" @Seppli said:

Dude - threads look one way, turret looks other way. Accelerate. Threads go one way. Turret still aims the other way. Strafing in tank - DONE. "
    You have been able to do that since Halo C.E. The left analog stick controls the tank relative to the turret and your view of the screen.  If you turn the turret left, the front of the tank is towards the right relative to your view.  Pushing right on the stick makes the tank move forward and makes you "strafe" right.  You don't even understand the control scheme you are complaining about. 
    Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By Wildfire570

I dunno I really like the controls of the warthog, its just so simplistic but effective. I also like drifting around too.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By EightBitShik
    @Jeffsekai: Yeah, I prefer the driving controls in Halo then 99% of other games what a weird complaint clearly they didn't change them because the small amount of people who dislike them.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Seppli
    @Gamer_152 said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " @Gamer_152 said:

Well - I guess then Halo Warthog sequences on Legendary are broken by design. "
    The way the Warthog feels to drive has pretty much become a trademark of the Halo series for most people but I can see you're not a fan of the vehicle controls. Would you really go as far as to say they're broken though? I mean you may not like them all that much but the vehicles aren't unusable surely. "
    Hmmm... hostile AI opens fire. Friendly AI gunner doesn't engage. Friendly AI gunner's range of engagement is shorter than hostile AIs.

Seems kinda broken to me.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By big_jon

This thread is a joke. You and your rampant Battlefield fanboyism are just too much. 

The controls in both games are great and this thread is retarted.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Seppli
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @Seppli said:

" @PrivateIronTFU said:

" @Seppli said:

Dude - threads look one way, turret looks other way. Accelerate. Threads go one way. Turret still aims the other way. Strafing in tank - DONE. "
    You have been able to do that since Halo C.E. The left analog stick controls the tank relative to the turret and your view of the screen.  If you turn the turret left, the front of the tank is towards the right relative to your view.  Pushing right on the stick makes the tank move forward and makes you "strafe" right.  You don't even understand the control scheme you are complaining about. 
    "
    Turret at 90 degree angle to threads and driving back and forth. I don't think so.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Seppli
    @EightBitShik said:

" @Jeffsekai: Yeah, I prefer the driving controls in Halo then 99% of other games what a weird complaint clearly they didn't change them because the small amount of people who dislike them. "

Now might that be because you can only drive where you look? In that case, Bungie took something away to accomodate to peeps like yourself. Personally, I miss what they took and I'd rather have it back.

@big_jon said:
    " This thread is a joke. You and your rampant Battlefield fanboyism are just too much.  The controls in both games are great and this thread is retarted. "

Just the man I was looking for. I'm certain you are well informed about the Scropion controls. Strafing and gunning is a no-go - isn't it? As in driving back and forth with the turret at a 90 degree angle? Fairly certain that's a no-go. Impossible to achieve.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Seppli said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @Seppli said:

" @PrivateIronTFU said:

" @Seppli said:

"
    Turret at 90 degree angle to threads and driving back and forth. I don't think so. "
    One game controls this way.  An entirely different game plays the other way.  It's just different not broken.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ArchScabby

Woah, woah woah... wait, you think Battlefield vehicles control better then Halo vehicles?  lol!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.