Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Halo: Reach, duel wielding.

madhatter985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By madhatter985

Was it worth it taking duel wielding out of Reach. Is it a good thing or a bad thing

madhatter985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By madhatter985

Was it worth it taking duel wielding out of Reach. Is it a good thing or a bad thing

KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By KennyPowers

Never missed it.  The return of the scoped Magnum /lack of SMG's meant it would be useless. 

Also, this isnt exactly a blog post

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zyn

It didn't matter to me.

If there was, I would use it.  If there wasn't, I wouldn't care.

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#4  Edited By kariyanine

I don't miss it at all.

Blueblur1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Blueblur1

It's really unnecessary and I don't miss it at all. Dual wielding wasn't really useful in Halo 3 anyway.

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By pbhawks45

What an insightful blog post.

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By SpacePenguin

I didnt usely duel wield in halo 3 anyway so I didnt realy miss it much.
    tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By tranquilchaos

*dual

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I really liked dual wielding in Halo 2 and 3, but I felt two things about it, things that were probably a bit conflicting. 

A) The mechanic was a natural extension of the mechanics of the original, especially with the inclusion of so many small-arm-sized weapons in 3. To justify it narratologically, the Master Chief was facing higher stakes and needed to consult as many weapons as possible to defeat the Covenant/Flood forces.  

B) From a game design standpoint, it worked in Halo 2. The Assault Rifle was gone, and there was no mid-range rapid-fire weapon that you could fall back on, with the rise of the Battle Rifle. However, upon the return of the Assault Rifle in Halo 3, dual wielding was basically a superfluous mechanic. There were few situations dual wielding could get you out of that Assault Rifling couldn't. And on top of that, dual wielding was a limiting tactical choice, since you dropped the secondary weapon whenever you tried to melee or wanted to throw a grenade. It was redundant, ultimately.  

So, for Reach, it made sense to remove dual wielding as a result of B, but also because it was the game that went back to explore the core of the Halo play-design. This was not only a swan song for Bungie, but a massive throwback to the original game. And as such, there was no necessary term for the inclusion of dual wielding.  

Plus, for a Halo fan like me, who likes to go through all the Halo campaigns in a single, several-day, marathon run, the removal of dual wielding means there is a lot more flexibility for me when I want to choose how I want to organize future campaign runs. Reach can go at the beginning now, before Combat Evolved, as a natural extension of that game, whereas it'd be a significant shock to play through a game that had all the playability cues of Halo 3 and then move on to a comparatively-gimped Combat Evolved.  

Don't forget, by the way, that ODST didn't have dual wielding either. And that game played really well too. I don't think anyone misses it. 

madhatter985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By madhatter985

THANX ALOT EVERYONE.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Djeffers03

I never used it in Halo 3 and didn't miss it at all in Reach.

threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By threeve

I've been playing a lot of ODST firefight lately after recently playing through Halo 3 and ODST campaigns on legendary and I have to say I never liked dual wielding, probably didn't use it a single time unless out of desperation in the Halo 3 campaign, don't miss it at all in ODST and certainly won't miss it in Reach.

The biggest problem I see with dual wielding is that in order for it to be balanced, the one handed weapons must be weaker than the two handed weapons.  This means there are a lot of crappy weapons sitting around that I never felt like picking up, and remember SMG starts in halo 2?  That in combination with being locked out of grenades and melee made DW a novelty and nothing more.  Something to make MC look badass on a game cover.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By babblinmule

I never used it in Halo 3 because like Ragnarok said; the Assault Rifle pretty much nullified its usefullness. Although the SMG + plasma rifle combo in Halo 2 at mid-close range was borderline God-like. 

But its been over 3 years since the days of Halo 2 now, so no, I don't miss it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

I like it, dual wielding never caught on with me, and it kinda allows for a similar weapons dynamic to Halo 1. 

Consaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Consaw

I used it so rarely that I haven't even noticed it was gone. 

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Azteck

I do miss dual-wielding needlers at times, only because it was so insanely over powered. The explosions made me chuckle.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By big_jon

Good thing by far.
    fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fentonalpha

Halo Reach may as well just have DMRs and Sniper Rifles in it and nothing else... that's all anyone i have played against uses.
    Looking forward to the release of "Halo: Jumping Coward Sniper Bitch Squad"... or J.C.S.B.S for short.

Avatar image for angryredplumber
    AngryRedPlumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By AngryRedPlumber

It's absolutely a good thing.  I think basically all of the changes they made in Halo 2 were bad ones, so it's nice that they have finally reverted back to many of the ways of the original Halo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.