Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

I was invincible for my 1,000,000. Am I a bad person?

• 84 results
    blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By blackblade500

I did the same thing so don't feel bad get glad

kms_md

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By kms_md
    @Teran said:
    " There is a different set of achievements for matchmaking firefight.  You used the game options within the scope of their intended use, it is likely Bungie intended for players to use invincibility to get the achievement. "
    i agree with this.  bungie must have known ahead of time this was a possibility.
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By MrOldboy
    @kms_md said:
    " @Teran said:
    " There is a different set of achievements for matchmaking firefight.  You used the game options within the scope of their intended use, it is likely Bungie intended for players to use invincibility to get the achievement. "
    i agree with this.  bungie must have known ahead of time this was a possibility. "
    yeah but the achievement is worth 75 pts, the most except for completing the game on legendary.  It should have been worth less seeing they knew this would happen. But who cares really, free pts, plus all the others you can get from the map too. I got a few during my 14 min run.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Wezmon said:
    " @PrivateIronTFU said:
    Side note: What was interesting to me is that you have dozens of elites around you and you're getting shot at and you're blowing stuff up. Yet the framerate in Firefight never seems to dip. The campaign on the other hand... "
    Really? Huh... I've noticed framerate issues with campaign, but haven't played enough Firefight to notice. Interesting... "
    The only time I seem to notice drops in framerate are in the campaign's cutscenes, when the engine has to render complex movement beyond that of the typical animations the game's been programmed to run. 
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @Wezmon said:
    " @PrivateIronTFU said:
    Side note: What was interesting to me is that you have dozens of elites around you and you're getting shot at and you're blowing stuff up. Yet the framerate in Firefight never seems to dip. The campaign on the other hand... "
    Really? Huh... I've noticed framerate issues with campaign, but haven't played enough Firefight to notice. Interesting... "
    The only time I seem to notice drops in framerate are in the campaign's cutscenes, when the engine has to render complex movement beyond that of the typical animations the game's been programmed to run.  "
    Well, most of the missions don't have too many instances of framerate drops. But the first mission, toward the end, seems to slow down considerably in certain areas. Nothing else is really game-breaking, luckily.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@blackbird415 said:
    " no you are not a bad person "
    elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#57  Edited By elko84
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " @Wezmon said:
    " @PrivateIronTFU said:
    Yeah the only reason I noticed it is because of the bonus round when you're literally swarmed with elites and grunts,  you're blowing stuff up left and right, and seriously, the framerate is steady. At least for me it was. I think it might be because the level sizes are smaller in Firefight than the campaign. I dunno, I just thought it was interesting to point out. "
    I had the settings to just Elites and infinite rockets.  During the bonus rounds there were so many elites on screen shooting me and my continuous rockets everywhere that the frame rate definitely dropped.  Too much happening at once.  However, I was impressed it was still stable enough for me to move back and forth and shoot targets precisely.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58  Edited By Teran
    @MrOldboy:   Maybe those 75 points are just meant to be a reward for cleverness, or a reward for tweaking and exploring the options.  I mean you could beat it without, but you'd still have to 'cheat' by giving yourself unlimited lives and unlimited waves.

I do agree 75 pts seem like a lot for a gimmick, but this is a lot like "Who's Line Is It" in that the points don't matter.  :)
    Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Immuniity

@rhacer63

That sounds completely reasonable. I had you pinned as an odd purist but as i thought about it more, i (and most people i know) subscribe to the same theory.

rhacer63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By rhacer63
    @Immuniity said:
    " @rhacer63  That sounds completely reasonable. I had you pinned as an odd purist but as i thought about it more, i (and most people i know) subscribe to the same theory. "
    I've never ducked "odd" as an adjective used to describe me.

I think that most people who LOVE games do subscribe to that theory. It's the people who don't love games but love playing them that don't.
    Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Inf225
    @rhacer63: My stepdad gave me a rule like this, but he did it because he didn't like me and I wasn't good at games, keep in mind I was like 7 when this rule was applied.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By zombie2011

Bungie wants you to have fun, that why they have all the weird settings in the game.

rhacer63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By rhacer63
    @Inf225: If he wasn't willing to guide you and play alongside you, then I would take issue with his behaviour.
    The_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#64  Edited By The_Joker
    @sagesebas said:
    " @Sethster: Jeff and Ryan got all the achievements in Fallout 3, by putting them in the command console, their reasoning was if you can do it in the game, and the developers made it possible for you to do it, then there is nothing wrong with it. Hacking on the other hand. "
    This.
    Kutkh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#65  Edited By Kutkh

From the Bungie Weekly Update: 

With great power, comes great responsibility and Cooperative Multiplayer Lead Lars Bakken informs me that it was well understood that by adding full customization to Firefight certain players would decide to cheese the related achievements (i.e. the laziest, least skilled players). The solution to this problem would have been simple, we could have either cut the Firefight Achievements in question or cut Firefight customization altogether. Neither of those would have made Lars very happy.

So yeah, Firefight in Halo: Reach is literally what you make of it. If you want to take the easy way out, and download game variants from IGN’s File Share, feel free. You’re only impacting your own enjoyment. You're also a baby who sucks at Halo. Your call.

Luke has a slightly different take, noting that if you want to utilize the wealth of available Firefight customization options and our built-in File Browser and File Share features to download an easier way to snag these particular achievements, or if you create a variant of your own design, you've simply discovered yet another one of Halo: Reach's robust features. It's what you call a Win/Win.    
    rhacer63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By rhacer63
    @Kutkh:  Great post! Thanks for finding it.
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#67  Edited By Raymayne

Yes, you are pure evil.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Djeffers03

That's completely fine. If exploiting something doesn't effect anybody else that feel free to do so. In fact I would like to thank you for coming up with this plan.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By christ0phe

You're gay actually

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9ee8b9b3047
    deactivated-5e9ee8b9b3047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all did it, son.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By christ0phe
    @rhacer63: troll, troll, troll, troll, troll
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#72  Edited By InfiniteGeass

With great power, comes great responsibility and Cooperative Multiplayer Lead Lars Bakken informs me that it was well understood that by adding full customization to Firefight certain players would decide to cheese the related achievements (i.e. the laziest, least skilled players). The solution to this problem would have been simple, we could have either cut the Firefight Achievements in question or cut Firefight customization altogether. Neither of those would have made Lars very happy.

So yeah, Firefight in Halo: Reach is literally what you make of it. If you want to take the easy way out, and download game variants from IGN’s File Share, feel free. You’re only impacting your own enjoyment. You're also a baby who sucks at Halo. Your call.

Luke has a slightly different take, noting that if you want to utilize the wealth of available Firefight customization options and our built-in File Browser and File Share features to download an easier way to snag these particular achievements, or if you create a variant of your own design, you've simply discovered yet another one of Halo: Reach's robust features. It's what you call a Win/Win.

That's what Bungie has to say about it. So there's the official word.
    rhacer63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By rhacer63
    @christ0phe said:
    " @rhacer63: troll, troll, troll, troll, troll "
    Always glad to see the most constructive comments.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#74  Edited By jakob187

I used the FF Invincible map that someone linked in the Giant Bomb "Heat in the Pipes" achievement.  I don't feel bad about it, and you shouldn't either.  If Bungie didn't lock custom Firefight maps with invincibility from giving you the achievement, that's their fault. 

Moreover, did you enjoy the time you spent doing it?  I'll tell you that even while I was invincible, I had a ton of fun playing it!  Then again, I also had the Tested podcast going while I was doing it, so I had the soothing sounds of Will Smith, Norman Chan, and Ana Hurkas-Robles making it even better.  = D 

@InfiniteGeass said:

"

That's what Bungie has to say about it. So there's the official word. "
    That's great and all...but I'm not a sissy at Halo.  I just don't feel like grinding for achievements in Firefight when I could be having fun with my friends in Matchmaking and collecting credits instead.  If this were being used to whore a shitload of credits, I would understand.  However, that's not the case.  They could've easily said "get 1,000,000 points with default settings on Legendary Firefight" and left it at that.  If they allow you to change settings in order to make yourself invincible, then that's their fault and they need to stop acting like we're the bad guys.  We're using the tools they gave us.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By jakob187
    @rhacer63 said:
    " @Immuniity said:
    " @rhacer63 said:
    " However, my kids would lose there Live privileges if I found out they did something like that. "
    ...is this a joke? Would you honestly take away their game because they used a shortcut to get like..25 gamer score? "
    Absolutely no joke. We don't allow strategy guides in our home until after the game has been beaten once. Boosting and cheating are anathema to all of us. We believe in earning your scores, medals, achievements, etc. "
    So wait...  You're saying that customizing your own map the way you want it to work, one of the BIGGEST features of any Halo game...is off limits?!
    rhacer63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By rhacer63
    @jakob187 said:
    " @rhacer63 said:
    " @Immuniity said:
    " @rhacer63 said:
    " However, my kids would lose there Live privileges if I found out they did something like that. "
    ...is this a joke? Would you honestly take away their game because they used a shortcut to get like..25 gamer score? "
    Absolutely no joke. We don't allow strategy guides in our home until after the game has been beaten once. Boosting and cheating are anathema to all of us. We believe in earning your scores, medals, achievements, etc. "
    So wait...  You're saying that customizing your own map the way you want it to work, one of the BIGGEST features of any Halo game...is off limits?! "
    I think it is possible you should re-read my post and my followup post.
    falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#77  Edited By falconer
    @spazmaster666 said:
    " @jNerd said:
    " @Sethster: My question is... how long did it take? "
    There is a custom map available which makes it possible to get the achievement in about 10 minutes or so. "
    You're fucking kid.... damn it. I wish I had looked at this thread before I just spent TWO HOURS getting it.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @jakob187 said:

Moreover, did you enjoy the time you spent doing it?  I'll tell you that even while I was invincible, I had a ton of fun playing it!

Dude yes, spamming rockets or picking up a plasma sword only to murder tons and tons of elites was incredibly fun with 3 other friends playing a score attack type game. We just wanted to see who could score the most points after tweaking the settings to make the waves super crazy.  We weren't even thinking about the achievements as we just wanted to have some fun shooting a billion dudes. Turned out it was an absolute blast, and hey, free achievements!
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#79  Edited By citizenkane

I would say yes, but I have done the exact things to get to 50,000+ achievement along with the Killionaire and surviving Firefight on Legendary without dying achievements.  I didn't have enough time then to get up to 1,000,000 points.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Shadow

Fuck no.  That's a perfectly good way to do it.  If it weren't intended to be played that way, there wouldn't be the option to be invincible. 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Jeffsekai

Yes you are. 

Bungie had this to say about people doing this:  

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By jakob187
    @rhacer63 said:

" @jakob187 said:

" @rhacer63 said:
    " @Immuniity said:
    " @rhacer63 said:
    So wait...  You're saying that customizing your own map the way you want it to work, one of the BIGGEST features of any Halo game...is off limits?! "
    I think it is possible you should re-read my post and my followup post. "
    No, I read the original post.  I quoted THIS post for a specific reason. 

I was just asking that question because boosting achievements can be done by customizing specific parts of the map.  That's what this entire thread has been about - whether someone should feel bad or not for customizing the map to make themselves invincible in order to gain the Firefight achievements in the game.  You pointed out that you believe in "earning" achievements and that "Boosting and cheating are anathema".  Essentially, it would mean that changing the customized settings to make you invincible or downloading a map via the file share option that Bungie themselves set in place would be something wrong by your standards...right? 

I'm not criticizing.  If that's your thing, cool.  I'm just curious if I'm reading that correctly.  That's all.  If so, it kinda sucks, but I understand the reasoning.
    rhacer63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By rhacer63

Well if my first or second post didn't make it clear...

...I believe boosting achievements is incredibly lame. You're welcome to brag about your enormous gamer score, and how big a stud you are with the achievements you've earned. The fact is that when you get past the bragging, your achievements were really achievements, it was self-gratification.

flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#84  Edited By flufflogic

I'm sorry, but not even Bungie can make me feel bad for doing it that way. I earned my Recon the hard way, all 7 Vidmasters, and I don't want to have to be thinking like that again for these achievements. I did it this way so I could concentrate on the biggies: Legendary, and solo Legendary. Those have no way to make it easy on yourself, and will take me a real while. I aim to have this game at 1k before the year is out, and if Bungie make it so I can do that to speed things up, I'm going to. I'm sure me and some friends will re-enact our Endure scenario at some point...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.