Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Made for Multiplayer.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By lucas_kelly

The single player campaign was pretty disappointing. Bungie seem to think that good game design is throwing wave after wave of enemies at you. 

Defiantly seems like it was made for multiplayer, single player lacks in so many areas.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Teran

Are you on mind altering drugs?

The single player campaign was incredible.  I haven't really liked a Halo game since the first... Reach is a masterpiece.

Also, what game can you think of that is more than various combinations of enemies being thrown at you in waves?  You can over simplify anything down to that.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By carlthenimrod

I have to disagree. Halo has always been good about breaking up the action with a solid vehicular sequence. I mean, you fly spaceships at one point. SPACESHIPS.

OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By OdinsThunder

WTF? It's a first person shooter, if your going to make a post like this at least suggest some other activities you think we should be doing in Halo besides shooting enemies.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lucas_kelly
    @Teran said:
    " Are you on mind altering drugs?  The single player campaign was incredible.  I haven't really liked a Halo game since the first... Reach is a masterpiece.  Also, what game can you think of that is more than various combinations of enemies being thrown at you in waves?  You can over simplify anything down to that. "
    I'm sorry, but I got sick of fighting waves and waves of the same enemies while your squad mates did nothing but stand around. The checkpoints were wrong, I hate fighting a whole bunch of enemies and then getting killed in one shot, then having to go back to the start of the check point and kill them all over again.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By huntad

I have not played the game, but from the 2-3 levels I've seen it looks like the same ol' Halo. I don't think it's revolutionary, but if you like Halo, you probably know what you're getting and you're probably perfectly satisfied.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Afroman269

Any FPS can be simplified into just being wave after wave of enemies. Also it sounds like you're just frustrated from redoing sections in the game. I suggest lowering difficulty. 

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Teran
    @lucas_kelly said:
    " @Teran said:
    " Are you on mind altering drugs?  The single player campaign was incredible.  I haven't really liked a Halo game since the first... Reach is a masterpiece.  Also, what game can you think of that is more than various combinations of enemies being thrown at you in waves?  You can over simplify anything down to that. "
    I'm sorry, but I got sick of fighting waves and waves of the same enemies while your squad mates did nothing but stand around. The checkpoints were wrong, I hate fighting a whole bunch of enemies and then getting killed in one shot, then having to go back to the start of the check point and kill them all over again. "
    I've been playing through the game solo on legendary... the checkpoints are most definitely not wrong.  You get a checkpoint after every major fight and sometimes during the fights after killing major enemies.  Squad AI has never been a strength or selling point for Halo... is this your first Halo game? 

If you hate getting killed in one shot, don't just stand there while a sword elite runs at you... don't just stand there while they throw grenades or shoot fuel rod guns at you. 

If you're having so much trouble, put the difficulty down to easy, or have a friend come beat it for you while you watch.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucas_kelly said:
    " The single player campaign was pretty disappointing. Bungie seem to think that good game design is throwing wave after wave of enemies at you.   Defiantly seems like it was made for multiplayer, single player lacks in so many areas. "
    Clearly you have never played a halo game or any other FPS. This is ok, you will learn soon young padawan. 
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zombie2011
    @lucas_kelly said:
    " @Teran said:
    I'm sorry, but I got sick of fighting waves and waves of the same enemies while your squad mates did nothing but stand around. The checkpoints were wrong, I hate fighting a whole bunch of enemies and then getting killed in one shot, then having to go back to the start of the check point and kill them all over again. "
    So instead of waves of enemies you would much rather just fight one guy then walk to the end of the level?
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I really liked the single player campaign, yes there were more big, epic battles in this campaign than any previous ones but I don't think that's a bad thing, in fact it's a good thing and it's not as if Bungie tried to base their entire campaign on that alone, there were regular checkpoints, challenging encounters and cleverly built play spaces.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Djeffers03

And this is surprising to you?

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

The single player campaign was pretty disappointing. __________ seem to think that good game design is throwing wave after wave of enemies at you.  

You could say that for every single game ever made where you shoot or fight dudes.  BTW I think it is one of the best FPS campaigns in the last few years. 
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lucas_kelly
    @Jmangino said:
    " @lucas_kelly said:
    " The single player campaign was pretty disappointing. Bungie seem to think that good game design is throwing wave after wave of enemies at you.   Defiantly seems like it was made for multiplayer, single player lacks in so many areas. "
    Clearly you have never played a halo game or any other FPS. This is ok, you will learn soon young padawan.  "
    I've played many including the original Halo, and from what I've seen Halo Reach is an outdated FPS. Clearly you have never played a FPS shooter before if you think that this game is anything but a standard shooter, which does absolutely nothing new.
    artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By artelinarose

Unlike Modern Warfare 2, which does much more for the campaign by not thro-

Fuck.

Alright, so Killzone 2, that does-

Fuck.

Okay, FEAR 2, that was pretty awe-

FUCK.

Every FPS is about throwing waves of dudes at you so you can shoot them. Deal with it.

tyashki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By tyashki

The multiplayer could also be simplified into killing waves of enemies, since everyone respawns.

Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Immuniity
    @lucas_kelly said:
    " The single player campaign was pretty disappointing. Bungie seem to think that good game design is throwing wave after wave of enemies at you. "
    I honestly thought you were describing firefight.
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By vaiz

What exactly is defiant about it.

Also you're insane.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By JJWeatherman

I agree with the majority of posters in this thread. If you want to see "made for multiplayer", than check out Lost Planet 2.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mercator

I got frustrated a few times and what I felt were poor checkpoints but that didn't change the fact that the story was excellent. The flying sequences were a joy and overall I had a hard time stopping and finished it in two days. Whereas MW2 I hated just about every moment and couldn't wait for it to be over.

I need to find some motivation to get into multiplayer now as I had a hard enough time on Normal and will never play this on Heroic or Legendary.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By spazmaster666
    @lucas_kelly said:

If your teammates were super competent and killed all the enemies themselves, the game would not be fun. There's a reason why computer allies in games suck: because the player is supposed to be the killing most of the enemies. Also, the great thing about Halo is that if you find yourself getting killed constantly then just change your approach. There are usually multiple ways to approach any level and there are always smarter, better methods of getting through them (in Reach especially with armor abilities like the Jetpack and of course vehicles) if you stop and think for a few seconds rather than just rushing into every single battle head on (compared to many other FPSs that really only give you one way to approach every level). The only part of the game that I felt was dragging a little bit was in the last level, but that's to be expected as it is the final major encounter in the game.
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lucas_kelly
    @spazmaster666 said:
    " @lucas_kelly said:

If your teammates were super competent and killed all the enemies themselves, the game would not be fun. There's a reason why computer allies in games suck: because the player is supposed to be the killing most of the enemies. Also, the great thing about Halo is that if you find yourself getting killed constantly then just change your approach. There are usually multiple ways to approach any level and there are always smarter, better methods of getting through them (in Reach especially with armor abilities like the Jetpack and of course vehicles) if you stop and think for a few seconds rather than just rushing into every single battle head on (compared to many other FPSs that really only give you one way to approach every level). The only part of the game that I felt was dragging a little bit was in the last level, but that's to be expected as it is the final major encounter in the game. "
    That's a terrible excuse for bad AI.
    CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CptChiken
    @lucas_kelly said:
    " @Jmangino said:
    " @lucas_kelly said:
    Clearly you have never played a halo game or any other FPS. This is ok, you will learn soon young padawan.  "
    I've played many including the original Halo, and from what I've seen Halo Reach is an outdated FPS. Clearly you have never played a FPS shooter before if you think that this game is anything but a standard shooter, which does absolutely nothing new. "
    sounds like FPS aren't for you.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By spazmaster666
    @lucas_kelly said:

That's a terrible excuse for bad AI. "

It's not an excuse. It's a necessary compromise to make the game actually fun and engaging for the player. And for the record, Halo Reach most definitely does not have bad AI. In fact, the improved AI is the main reason why the game is more challenging than previous titles in the series (i.e. the AI allies are not badly programmed, just much more limited than the enemy AI). Bungie most definitely could have made your teammates smarter if they wanted to but the game is definitely not designed to be a squad-based shooter, as such you're still expected to do most of the work yourself. As I said, if your AI teammates were smart enough and competent enough to kill all the enemies without your help, what would be the point of playing the game? Even tactical squad based shooters like Rainbow Six or GRAW follow that philosophy (though you can't compare those games with Halo since those games ARE squad based shooters).
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Raymayne
    @lucas_kelly said:
    " The single player campaign was pretty disappointing. Bungie seem to think that good game design is throwing wave after wave of enemies at you.  "
    Well that works for CoD and every other FPS, and it works pretty effing well in Halo too. Campaign was great, vehicle missions, on-foot battles, some stealth areas, space combat, the very last mission was just amazing imo, it definitely wasn't just made for multiplayer, even though I wouldn't blame Bungie for doing that seeing as how the mp is Halo's insanely strong suit. 
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By spazmaster666
    @Raymayne said:

Well that works for CoD and every other FPS, and it works pretty effing well in Halo too. Campaign was great, vehicle missions, on-foot battles, some stealth areas, space combat, the very last mission was just amazing imo, it definitely wasn't just made for multiplayer, even though I wouldn't blame Bungie for doing that seeing as how the mp is Halo's insanely strong suit.  "

Well the campaign was designed with co-op matchmaking in mind so the OP is correct that in that sense that Halo Reach was made for multiplayer. ;)
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lucas_kelly
    @spazmaster666 said:
    " @lucas_kelly said:

That's a terrible excuse for bad AI. "

It's not an excuse. It's a necessary compromise to make the game actually fun and engaging for the player. And for the record, Halo Reach most definitely does not have bad AI. In fact, the improved AI is the main reason why the game is more challenging than previous titles in the series (i.e. the AI allies are not badly programmed, just much more limited than the enemy AI). Bungie most definitely could have made your teammates smarter if they wanted to but the game is definitely not designed to be a squad-based shooter, as such you're still expected to do most of the work yourself. As I said, if your AI teammates were smart enough and competent enough to kill all the enemies without your help, what would be the point of playing the game? Even tactical squad based shooters like Rainbow Six or GRAW follow that philosophy (though you can't compare those games with Halo since those games ARE squad based shooters). "
    You can have smart AI and fun and engaging gameplay, look at Cod 4 and MW2.
     When the AI is as dumb as it is in Reach, you might as well not have it there. 
    Also having good AI immerses the player.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By spazmaster666
    @lucas_kelly said:

You can have smart AI and fun and engaging gameplay, look at Cod 4 and MW2.  When the AI is as dumb as it is in Reach, you might as well not have it there.  Also having good AI immerses the player. "

I'm sorry, did you just claim that the friendly AI in COD4/MW2 was actually good? Also COD4/MW2 are the worst examples if you're trying to claim that FPSs should not be about fighting off waves of enemies, especially considering that the enemies in COD4 spawned infinitely until you moved forward to certain checkpoints.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By ProfessorEss

I thought the campaign was incredible. Well paced and varied with generous checkpointing. Then again, I played on normal cause I wanted to keep a good pace going through the story and just started the much harder heroic last night.

I always find these complaints kinda crazy. There are four levels of difficulty, set it accordingly before bitching about it being "the game's fault".

(...at least the enemies aren't unlimited until you reach a certain point)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.