Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

My thoughts on Halo Reach's AI

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By wolf_blitzer85

There are a lot of complaints out there about how the friendly AI in Halo Reach is garbage and how you have to do all the shooting (playing the game) as of late.

I suppose this could be a problem as it is with some other games out there, but for whatever reason, I have not noticed this behavior with the rest of the noble six squad in my current push to get through the campaign on heroic. Most people say the AI doesn't really shoot at anything and really isn't any help, but I disagree. There have been many instances where another squad mate, or a group of marines, have really saved my ass. 

Take that one mission "Nightfall" where at the end you're defending that spot with Jun or whoever when they drop two hunters on you along with some cloaked dudes. The cloaked ones were easy enough to deal with, but fuck those hunters all the way to hell. Eventually I was able to lure those godforsaken creatures over by Jun where he immediately began firing on the things. They were distracted, and I saw that as a chance to go to town. Unfortunately, one hunter turned towards me and picked me as a suitable target. It was go time, and I had to get some distance between that other hunter, so I lured the one that I was dealing with further away which took a little time. 

Hunters usually roll in twos. That way they can be extra shitty

Did my thing, and the dude was dead. Okay one down, one more to go. Much to my surprise, by the time I got back to the yellow dot, Jun had managed to kill the other hunter. How I do not know, but he did it.

I just got done playing through "Tip of the Spear" (heh), and once again it was another damn hunter that was messing things up for me. I had killed everything minus one hunter who had ran back into the building where the thing you had to blow up was in. I took a peak and he was just chillin over in the corner of one side of this room, so I decided to creep around back, melee the shield to death, and chuck a grenade in there. 

Success! It worked and sure enough I completed my objective. Now I had to go defend the landing zone or "LZ" as those who like to say that out loud call it, so we could get our asses out of there. With a group of marines at my disposal, we began clearing out the convenant that showed up. Unfortunately that damn hunter was still walking around and took to my marines while I ran around smashing skulls in. Amazingly enough, with seemingly only one marine dead, they were able to take out that second hunter for me with about six (out of however many) still remaining and ready to fight another round.

Of course the spire section was easy as hell. All I did was let the other Spartans run forward and draw all the fire while I crept around the side and jetpacked my way to the space elevator. 

These guys deserve a little more credit.

So these are just a few examples on how the AI really has proved themselves as not just worthless cannon fodder yelling battlefield jargon repeatedly. They do serve a purpose, I believe it's up the the player to figure out how to use these potential tools rather than have the game lay it out for you.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there has seen their Noble Squad kick ass on the field, or see a marine totally take out an Elite. If not, then maybe my copy of Halo is from space or whatever.

Space Halo
    Space Halo

I don't know. I'm just gonna go play some more Halo.

P.S. The more I look at it, the word "space" starts to look really weird.

Edit: Hah! And the next mission is totally in space! Halo's influence knows no bounds.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

There are a lot of complaints out there about how the friendly AI in Halo Reach is garbage and how you have to do all the shooting (playing the game) as of late.

I suppose this could be a problem as it is with some other games out there, but for whatever reason, I have not noticed this behavior with the rest of the noble six squad in my current push to get through the campaign on heroic. Most people say the AI doesn't really shoot at anything and really isn't any help, but I disagree. There have been many instances where another squad mate, or a group of marines, have really saved my ass. 

Take that one mission "Nightfall" where at the end you're defending that spot with Jun or whoever when they drop two hunters on you along with some cloaked dudes. The cloaked ones were easy enough to deal with, but fuck those hunters all the way to hell. Eventually I was able to lure those godforsaken creatures over by Jun where he immediately began firing on the things. They were distracted, and I saw that as a chance to go to town. Unfortunately, one hunter turned towards me and picked me as a suitable target. It was go time, and I had to get some distance between that other hunter, so I lured the one that I was dealing with further away which took a little time. 

Did my thing, and the dude was dead. Okay one down, one more to go. Much to my surprise, by the time I got back to the yellow dot, Jun had managed to kill the other hunter. How I do not know, but he did it.

I just got done playing through "Tip of the Spear" (heh), and once again it was another damn hunter that was messing things up for me. I had killed everything minus one hunter who had ran back into the building where the thing you had to blow up was in. I took a peak and he was just chillin over in the corner of one side of this room, so I decided to creep around back, melee the shield to death, and chuck a grenade in there. 

Success! It worked and sure enough I completed my objective. Now I had to go defend the landing zone or "LZ" as those who like to say that out loud call it, so we could get our asses out of there. With a group of marines at my disposal, we began clearing out the convenant that showed up. Unfortunately that damn hunter was still walking around and took to my marines while I ran around smashing skulls in. Amazingly enough, with seemingly only one marine dead, they were able to take out that second hunter for me with about six (out of however many) still remaining and ready to fight another round.

Of course the spire section was easy as hell. All I did was let the other Spartans run forward and draw all the fire while I crept around the side and jetpacked my way to the space elevator. 

So these are just a few examples on how the AI really has proved themselves as not just worthless cannon fodder yelling battlefield jargon repeatedly. They do serve a purpose, I believe it's up the the player to figure out how to use these potential tools rather than have the game lay it out for you.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there has seen their Noble Squad kick ass on the field, or see a marine totally take out an Elite. If not, then maybe my copy of Halo is from space or whatever.

Space Halo
    Space Halo

I don't know. I'm just gonna go play some more Halo.

P.S. The more I look at it, the word "space" starts to look really weird.

Edit: Hah! And the next mission is totally in space! Halo's influence knows no bounds.
    joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I have never seen a single one of my squad members actually kill anything (Cept for when they are on vehicles). I think they suck. Only thing they are good for? Is a distraction.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By BunkerBuster

I once watched Jorge get punched by a Gold Elite for two whole minutes before I got in a Warthog and left him there for the rest of the mission. I don't know what game you played but I would love to have the version where your allies do anything whatsoever.

Noble Team, I Am Dissapoint!
     Noble Team, I Am Dissapoint!
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @BunkerBuster: Interesting. I can totally dig what you're saying, the thing is, if I come back to the situation, the spartan is standing there, and the alien is dead.

I bet all the marines make faces at you when you aren't looking too.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By pweidman

Oddly they did next to nothing on normal, but now on heroic, they are really helping.  It may take a while but I've had the Noble team member AI take out hunters and elites.  They still stand around and refuse to enter vehicles routinely though:(.
    Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Mystyr_E

I just finished first mission on Legendary and now I just let them do all the work with the occasional grenade and PP charge to drop their shields but they can be supreme boneheads. During the Exodus mission, they literally stood there doing nothing while I had to turn on the AA batteries I mean, they can't fire one measly bullet to help me out?

Only thing I don't like is they have this weird habit of walking to weird places like they ran up a hill when we had to assault one of the bases and I was like "where the hell you going?"

tyashki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By tyashki

I noticed the AI actually being pretty useful on my heroic playthrough also. 

Maybe Bungie just added a rand() to the friendly AI as a joke.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @pweidman said:
    "They still stand around and refuse to enter vehicles routinely though:(. "
    It's cool to just ditch those fools. They just ride shotgun anyway. There's always that ever faithful marine/gunner dude ready to wail.
    @Mystyr_E said:
    "Only thing I don't like is they have this weird habit of walking to weird places like they ran up a hill when we had to assault one of the bases and I was like "where the hell you going?" "
    They kind of make me think of a bunch of angry hamsters running around.

@Tyashki said:
    " I noticed the AI actually being pretty useful on my heroic playthrough also.  Maybe Bungie just added a rand() to the friendly AI as a joke. "
    There has to be something, because seriously sometimes they just go apeshit on everything, and the next they go dead retarded and become useless. 

I think this game has more depth to it than I thought.
    cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cid798

I don't have Reach yet, fucking gamefly. I have been hearing a lot of flak about the AI though (especially Kat's driving ability). Maybe a lot of folks are like me in that I say for instance you have to defend a point against multiple sources of intrustion and maybe you have 2 allies. I would love the 2 AI to kill most of what's coming at them but just be inept enough to have to run over and fire over their shoulder to take out the scragglers to keep the action going. 

From playing most recently Halo 3 about the only fond memory of the AI is they could kick some ass if you gave them the Spartan Laser in the passenger seat and you drove.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @cid798 said:
    "(especially Kat's driving ability)."
    When you have this problem, that means you are playing the game wrong. As far as I'm concerned, NPCs totally do shit in this game. Maybe most people aren't noticing or something.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolf_blitzer85: I've totally seen the AI step up at points and do assassinations and what not. They certainly carry a load, though I think players tend to notice (I want to use the word "blame" here, but that's too strong a word) the AI's help--or perceived lack thereof--when the onus is on the player to drag the team out of a sticky situation. I feel like there are points when the games asks a lot of the player, and the AI contributes somewhat to be sure, but perhaps not to the level a lot of players would like/expect. 
    Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Moonshadow101

Friendly AI is always going to be tricky. If they contribute too much, then you have a situation where the player can just sit behind a rock while the allies take care of everything. I've found that they've struck a pretty good balance between occasionally scoring a kill without being able to do much to a large group. 

If you want to talk about abysmally stupid people, talk about the civilians in the city mission. They don't seem to understand that getting shot is something to be avoided. 

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " I feel like there are points when the games asks a lot of the player, and the AI contributes somewhat to be sure, but perhaps not to the level a lot of players would like/expect.  "
    @Moonshadow101 said:
    " Friendly AI is always going to be tricky. If they contribute too much, then you have a situation where the player can just sit behind a rock while the allies take care of everything. "
    I suppose this is what I was getting at. There seems to be a really fine line when it comes to you taking control of the situation rather than being led. I feel like you are doing a lot of shooting, but the other dudes on the field are doing exactly what they are meant to be doing which is support. 

You don't want those guys stealing all your kills right?
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolf_blitzer85: You're right. But like Moonshadow was saying, there's a paradoxical quality to what players want from the AI. When the players don't want the support, they don't want the AI to dominate the battlefield. But when the scene gets a little hairier, and the AI isn't pulling its weight, then players tend to feel like they've been hung out to dry.  

I'm sure the dude-fellas at Bungie have had many a conversation about AI balance, especially with your teammates being Spartans now. 
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By delta_ass
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    I suppose this is what I was getting at. There seems to be a really fine line when it comes to you taking control of the situation rather than being led. I feel like you are doing a lot of shooting, but the other dudes on the field are doing exactly what they are meant to be doing which is support.   You don't want those guys stealing all your kills right? "
    I never had an issue with guys on my squad stealing my kills in Rainbow Six Vegas.
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By lucas_kelly

On my heroic play-through they were eff-ing useless. They couldn't drive, and 90% of the time they just stoood there and got shot. At one point of was being attacked by four elites and all my squad mate did was stand way back and do nothing.

tyashki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tyashki
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    "You don't want those guys stealing all your kills right? "
    Yes and no. There was at least one time where a teammate got a hunter kill and I was pretty bummed, but at the same time I found it awesome that I was getting points for the AI getting kills using the warthog turret while I drove. Maybe some assist badges would help.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Tyashki said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    "You don't want those guys stealing all your kills right? "
    Yes and no. There was at least one time where a teammate got a hunter kill and I was pretty bummed, but at the same time I found it awesome that I was getting points for the AI getting kills using the warthog turret while I drove. Maybe some assist badges would help. "
    That's very true. 

I guess that statement was mostly said in the spirit of Halo multiplayer rather than applying to campaign. 

Sometimes I think I get more assists than actual kills.
    PatVB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PatVB
    @lucas_kelly: Yeah, I'm with you. I'm playing through on Legendary and except for very rare situations, the AI only serves as a distraction. On one mission, five of my marines stood completely still while a brute shot them (and then me) to death. Then when I respawned, one of them just started sprinting towards the brute and kicked him to death. I think Bungie is messing with us...
    Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Malakhii

I played through on heroic and saw the AI kill some stuff, but they never seemed up to the par of a competent Spartan. But it's Halo, I expected this going in, so I didn't give a shit, I just ignored teammates until I needed them to play gunner on my vehicle. 

Zao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zao

The enemy Ai is just so good I think if you were to make friendlies on the same level it would be unrealistic. on one level its amazing that the ai can navigate their surrondings to a degree in a vehicle but the kind of programing you would need for them to dodge shit on legendary would be impossible its hard enough for a human to do it.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Brendan

Get ready for the easiest AI tip in the game that you probably already know:  Find a heavy weapon (jackhammer tubes or something).  Once you find a warthog in a driving spot, give it to a random marine, let him sit in the passenger seat, and enjoy unlimited heavy weapon destruction against all your foes.  makes the driving portions kick-ass even on higher difficulties.   

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.