Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Reasons I believe Halo: Reach multiplayer is broken

Unasinous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Unasinous

The game itself is not broken as far as I can tell. The guns work and it's fun to just sit down and play. My problems come from the way the "metagame" is handled. 

I have always played shooters or any online game competitively just because that's how I get satisfaction out of a game. I never touched Forge in Halo 3 and almost never did custom games in Halo 2. I am not, however, one of the more serious players that prefer DMRs or Battle Rifles to anything else. When they made MLG playlists for Halo 2, I hated them. I prefer a strategic objective game played with default weapons to DMRs Slayer any day. My problem is the following: 

The only two "ranked" playlists are Doubles Arena and Team Arena. The only two gametypes you can play in these playlists are DMR Slayer or Slayer Pro (which starts you with a DMR). I can't find a reason to play any of the other playlists because they are basically just custom games and I feel like I'm wasting my time playing those without any sort of ranking system or progression (besides the credits, but you get those for shooting grunts so I don't consider those a reason to play multiplayer). 

So now I am nearly finished with Reach because I just don't get any enjoyment out of it. Pretty sad about that seeing as how Halo has been probably my favorite and most played franchise in video games. Also disappointing that it's the metagame that ruined it, not the actual gameplay. Is there anyone who feels differently, the same, or can convince me otherwise?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see some points you make and agree to an extent. Honestly Im having fun with reach, but I do agree some of the playlists etc seem "broken". Arena's is a nice touch, but I think the playlists are a bit lame and could also use a 3v3 bracket. I like the new DMR etc, but at times I don't like playing slayer pro's etc. That seems to be the only things popping up. But the game is fresh and new, and its bungie, I am sure new maps and game modes will be added as it was in H3. I personally just want my griffball weekends back.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By carlthenimrod

You go up in rank in social play-lists. Go play some Big Team Battle and have fun.

Unasinous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Unasinous
    @carlthenimrod: O rly? I'll check that out. I played a couple games and noticed all the people could go into matchmaking with you so I figured it was one of those "for fun only" playlists.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By carlthenimrod

@Unasinous said:

" @carlthenimrod: O rly? I'll check that out. I played a couple games and noticed all the people could go into matchmaking with you so I figured it was one of those "for fun only" playlists. "

Yea, the ranked play-lists just have an additional layer of ranking. You still gain military ranks in the other play-lists though. I'm a Warrant Officer and I haven't touched the ranked ones. I need my vehicles in my Halo to have fun.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ShaneDev

In the latest weekly update Bungie stated that they would be adding other playlist shortly not sure if they are the ones you looking for though and if I am remember correctly Halo 3 was pretty bare at launch to. I am actually finding Big Team Battle fun for once in a Halo game which is where I spend most of my time plus its not a laggy mess like in Halo 3.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MikkaQ

Just play the competitive mode, who cares if it's ranked or not, the gameplay doesn't change.

Unasinous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Unasinous

Sweet, I think I had given up on BTB because of what the quality was like back in the old days. I will surely look into it now. Also I played a 4v4 1 flag CTF on Hemorrhage and I am 100% sure the scorpion is overpowered. 

Another thing I forgot to add up above: It seems pretty lazy to me that several of the game's maps are part of Forge World. Even their Blood Gulch descendant can't get a map of it's own? That's one thing I despise about this game. Maybe I'm just too fickle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShaneDev: Yeah I assumed they would be adding more game types I forget H3's launch but I know they added a ton of things later on. Sounds good thanks.
    KyleDaniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KyleDaniels

Either get better with the DMR or get a partner who is. You should play it for fun, not to achieve rankings.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By DoctorWelch

Umm, what? First of all, I dont see how you not liking the way they changed the ranking system makes the game broken in any way. They just changed the level progression to be across all game modes where you gain experience and level up by symbols instead of numbers while also incorporating firefight and campaign to give you an incentive to play those things more. Now there is just an overall level for everything you do which is great. You can play any mode and, if you're good, you'll gain experience. Not only that, but now you arent going to level down when getting matched up with people that suck simply because you're friends who are good arent on at the moment. Then, if you wanna get all hardcore into the competitive stuff just play the arena game modes. There you get a ranking that goes up and down in the way you like. That being said, objective game modes have never really been a serious competitive part of Halo, yeah they're really really fun, but if you are trying to be competitive, you're playing Slayer Pro. So yeah, maybe you liked the way the ranking was across the individual modes in Halo 3, but even so, that's a pretty sad reason to stop playing a game that you think is really fun.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Unasinous said:
    " Sweet, I think I had given up on BTB because of what the quality was like back in the old days. I will surely look into it now. Also I played a 4v4 1 flag CTF on Hemorrhage and I am 100% sure the scorpion is overpowered.  Another thing I forgot to add up above: It seems pretty lazy to me that several of the game's maps are part of Forge World. Even their Blood Gulch descendant can't get a map of it's own? That's one thing I despise about this game. Maybe I'm just too fickle. "
    It's a tank... Isn't it supposed to be? Besides, the other team has one as well and there are several weapons that can take down the tank rather easily. Let us also not forget about armor abilities.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Broken is such a strong word, it doesn't mean very bad, it means pretty much literally unplayable. I understand you have serious gripes with some aspects of Reach but do you really think it's "broken"?

Unasinous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Unasinous
    @DoctorWelch: Good thoughts. Maybe it's because I'm older now and I have more important things to worry about, but this Halo just doesn't have the "OMG Halo" effect on me that 2 and 3 did. I miss Team Skirmish; that was my shizz. My thing is that I want to be competitive and I don't like DMRs gametypes.  

What do you guys think about this? My reason for disliking the DMR gametypes: what about the Assault Rifle? Part of my strategy with Halo 2 before MLG gametypes was to be effective with the SMG. I could use grenades, the SMG, and proper maneuvering to get a fair amount of kills. There were a few BRs on each map so they were more effective, but they were not ubiquitous. Now the AR is a pretty good weapon and it's never used in competitive play. I think part of upper level play should include the strategy it takes to hold weapon locations and things of that nature. If you want a DMR, then pick one up and you'll have an advantage over someone with an Assault Rifle.

There's no way I'll ever have my cake and eat it too, but I figured I'd let some people know about my point of view.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @Unasinous: I actually agree with you because I would rather play a regular slayer game than Pro or DMRs, but even so, if you like objective stuff I would just say play invasion, BTB, or the objective game modes. Also, for me this game has more of a wow factor because I hated Halo 3 and barely played it at all. I LOOOOOOOVED Halo 2 back in the day and after getting back intoit with this game I am starting to really really enjoy it again. I also love the way the game has changed with the addition of classes, but at the same time it still feels like Halo, just Halo with updated mechanics.
    Unasinous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Unasinous
    @SpikeSpiegel: Oh yeah, armor abilities. I have a love/hate relationship with them. Sprint - Love. Bubble Shield - Hate. Jet Pack - Love. Cloak - Hate. Hologram - Love. I don't know, I just think the bubble shield and cloak are a bit overpowered. The jet pack has obvious drawbacks and hologram is a nice tool. Sprint is like the Assault Rifle to me: basic and average, but a useful tool that can be used to great effect in capable hands. Armor lock I have not quite figured out yet. I cannot tell if it's balanced or overpowered. 

Something that surprised me was the most fun I've had in a match so far was a Classic CTF game with no armor abilities. This game seems alot like Halo CE without the armor abilities.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I agree completely.

I have played one round of slayer so far, all the other matches always turned into Swat, headhunter, snipers, dmr, whatever.
    I just want a social slayer playlist like in Halo 3.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gunstar

Something I want is a middle of the road Team Slayer. Like Halo 3 had, 5 on 5 team slayer for the social playlist. It just so happens that I usually have 5 friends playing at the same time.

I've actually been pretty pleased with the way people I've played with are voting recently. I thought I was doomed to never be able to play Elite Slayer or something weird like all rockets but I get those sometimes.

Unasinous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Unasinous
    @Gamer_152: It's weird. For a high profile game such as this I have high expectations. I probably should have titled this "Why Reach MP is unsuitable to me (to the point I may lose interest very soon)" 

I play Modern Warfare 2 for the long distance "pop you're dead" gameplay. With Halo you have shields and a health bar and it takes a 5 second gunfight for anyone to die. This makes Halo much more a game of improvisation and random "OMG I just walked into that guy's trap but somehow I hit him with a grenade and my teammate shot him in the face." But when everyone is able to shoot someone from hundreds of feet away, the game loses alot of that sense of improvisation. 

And to everyone who says I should play the social playlists: I probably will end up playing there, but I play games in general for the Arena type stuff and I hate that in order to get that content you have to play with one gun.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Oldirtybearon

The armour abilities are super balanced. There are pros and cons and the armour ability you should choose depends on the map and gametype. Armour Lock is brilliant for team match types, allowing you to lock down and let your teammates concentrate fire on enemies who are too busy waiting for you to unlock. Also, it's saved my butt a number of times from a would-be splatter hound on Blood Gulch. In a one-on-one encounter, Armour Lock is not very useful, and that is the main drawback. It's not like you can shoot or do anything but wait out your opponent when you're locked down anyhow.

Unasinous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Unasinous
    @KingWilly: Good points on armor lock.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Diamond

The problem with some of the vehicles being over powered is the levels don't have enough anti-vehicle weaponry.  Halo 3's levels were filled with em, but there have been several situations where I was playing already and there were literally no anti-vehicle weapons to be found fighting against a super powerful vehicle...

T00MuchSteeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By T00MuchSteeze

So arena puts you into divisions and ranks you. Does it give you more credits?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Unasinous: So you need someone to tell you how good you are to play the game? 
    also, they're rolling out new playlists soon, so i'd stick around for that.
    Unasinous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Unasinous
    @DystopiaX: Not really how good I am, just give me something to strive for. Sure it's fun to just play, but that doesn't hold my attention for very long.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Shadow

Credits are the only ranking system that matters at all.  I don't know or care about anyone's (including my own) rank in any specific playlist.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mighty

I love Reach
    Pappasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Pappasman

King of the Hill, CTF, and Oddball have been a huge part of halo in the MLG pro circuit and its sad to see them leave a ranked playlist.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.