Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Remember Reach

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It is currently September 19th and this week I’ve pretty much been solidly playing Halo: Reach. I picked up the limited edition of the game and while I’m still waiting to dive into the extra curios bundled with it I’ve finished Reach itself and spent some time in the multiplayer. I’ve been a massive fan of the Halo games since sometime between Halo 2 and 3 and to actually have the final game in my hands after a decade of this video game phenomenon was somewhat unbelievable.

My local store is apparently selling a new game but I can't quite work out what it is.
     My local store is apparently selling a new game but I can't quite work out what it is.

As everyone has said this is definitely a Halo game; if you like Halo chances are you’ll like this game and if you don’t like Halo then Reach is not for you. The game carries that same feel that has made the series so fun; the great weapon design, the balance between shooting, using grenades and using melee (and now also using armour abilities), as well as the improvisation and strategising based on your weapons and environment which so often come into play in the game. The graphics are certainly a jump-up from Halo 3 and the larger campaign maps with more AI on them give a greater sense that you’re part of an epic battle although it’s a shame that the framerate issues in the cutscenes are so noticeable. Although there are no particular standout or classic-feeling pieces of music in the game Martin O’Donnell has once again done a great job on the soundtrack and the sound design in general. I liked that the storyline was tied in closer to that of the Halo novels and when you ignore the aforementioned framerate issue the cutscenes are very good. (Note: Spoiler tag below contains spoilers for the ending of Halo: Reach).

I did like the twist the story took near the end during which unbeknownst to us until that point Noble Team turn out to have had a big significance in the Human-Covenant war, recovering vital data from a Covenant artefact before Reach falls and being the ones who effectively unite Cortana and Master Chief on the Pillar of Autumn at the beginning of Halo: Combat Evolved. While the ‘survive’ section at the end didn’t come across as a very good bit of gameplay to me I liked Halsey’s eulogy and there was something really satisfying about the way the story came full circle. I also couldn’t help but smile over the fact that the day that Noble Six delivers Cortana and the Pillar of Autumn discovers Halo is the same day on which I finished the game (September 19th).

Perhaps the biggest surprise in Reach was this cameo by Tested's Will Smith.

I’m sure I’ll have a lot more fun with the multiplayer yet, which may be even more addictive now there’s the constant reward of medals, commendations and credits. While I didn’t think there’d be any aesthetic upgrades from the armory I wanted that badly the high-priced items such as Master Chief’s voice in firefight mode or the armor effects made me grip my controller and say “Damn you Bungie”, they sure know how to push my buttons. I haven’t tried out firefight mode yet but considering how much fun that was with a friend in ODST I’m sure good things await me and while I’ve yet to set foot in forge mode I’ve been very impressed by what some people have managed to create with it in a relatively short space of time. Bungie have created a brilliant conclusion to the series with Reach and while I’m worried about what Microsoft may do next with the Halo IP I have a lot of respect for Bungie for leaving the series where it is, bravo guys.

Before the Halo madness set in this week I did manage to finish a game whose name was at one time upon everybody’s lips- Red Dead Redemption. This is a game I’m putting aside for now and will probably come back to later but wow, what an ending. (Note: Spoiler tag below contains spoilers for the ending of Red Dead Redemption).

One major indication that the game had a really strong ending for me was that a lot of people didn’t seem to get it. I say that not because I want people to be excluded from enjoying video game narrative but rather that it shows Red Dead Redemption had an ending you really had to think about to understand in its entirety. For all of the game’s brilliant dialogue part of the brilliance of its closing came from the fact that there was no dialogue spoken when John stepped out into the crowd of gunmen. While video games can produce impactful stories we rarely see one which speaks on such a metaphorical level, not only was John’s death necessary so that the government would stop hounding his family but throughout the story John had represented the old west itself and as the game progressed more and more of the new world could be seen encroaching on the world John knew, John’s death was a representation of the death of the old ways. I felt like the post-ending story mission felt somewhat tacked on myself, it was an anti-climax that couldn’t have possibly matched up to John’s ending under the circumstances, although the music played over the credits somewhat helped me forgive it.

All in all it’s been a hell of a week and it’s been great to see the forums awash with talk of Reach. Thank you all for reading, good luck, have piracy.

-Gamer_152

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It is currently September 19th and this week I’ve pretty much been solidly playing Halo: Reach. I picked up the limited edition of the game and while I’m still waiting to dive into the extra curios bundled with it I’ve finished Reach itself and spent some time in the multiplayer. I’ve been a massive fan of the Halo games since sometime between Halo 2 and 3 and to actually have the final game in my hands after a decade of this video game phenomenon was somewhat unbelievable.

As everyone has said this is definitely a Halo game; if you like Halo chances are you’ll like this game and if you don’t like Halo then Reach is not for you. The game carries that same feel that has made the series so fun; the great weapon design, the balance between shooting, using grenades and using melee (and now also using armour abilities), as well as the improvisation and strategising based on your weapons and environment which so often come into play in the game. The graphics are certainly a jump-up from Halo 3 and the larger campaign maps with more AI on them give a greater sense that you’re part of an epic battle although it’s a shame that the framerate issues in the cutscenes are so noticeable. Although there are no particular standout or classic-feeling pieces of music in the game Martin O’Donnell has once again done a great job on the soundtrack and the sound design in general. I liked that the storyline was tied in closer to that of the Halo novels and when you ignore the aforementioned framerate issue the cutscenes are very good. (Note: Spoiler tag below contains spoilers for the ending of Halo: Reach).

I’m sure I’ll have a lot more fun with the multiplayer yet, which may be even more addictive now there’s the constant reward of medals, commendations and credits. While I didn’t think there’d be any aesthetic upgrades from the armory I wanted that badly the high-priced items such as Master Chief’s voice in firefight mode or the armor effects made me grip my controller and say “Damn you Bungie”, they sure know how to push my buttons. I haven’t tried out firefight mode yet but considering how much fun that was with a friend in ODST I’m sure good things await me and while I’ve yet to set foot in forge mode I’ve been very impressed by what some people have managed to create with it in a relatively short space of time. Bungie have created a brilliant conclusion to the series with Reach and while I’m worried about what Microsoft may do next with the Halo IP I have a lot of respect for Bungie for leaving the series where it is, bravo guys.

Before the Halo madness set in this week I did manage to finish a game whose name was at one time upon everybody’s lips- Red Dead Redemption. This is a game I’m putting aside for now and will probably come back to later but wow, what an ending. (Note: Spoiler tag below contains spoilers for the ending of Red Dead Redemption).

All in all it’s been a hell of a week and it’s been great to see the forums awash with talk of Reach. Thank you all for reading, good luck, have piracy.

-Gamer_152

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShaneDev

Halo Reach is great only gripe I have with it is that their seems to be very few multiplayer maps most of which aren't new. They are all remakes or successors to older Halo maps mainly from Halo 2, I mean they didn't even remake the Pit. 

RDR is such a good game I want to start it over again soon.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Will is the Master Chief, I knew it all along ;)

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @mylifeforAiur said:
    " Will is the Master Chief, I knew it all along ;) "
    This September Will Smith is Halo.

@ShaneDev said:
    " Halo Reach is great only gripe I have with it is that their seems to be very few multiplayer maps most of which aren't new. They are all remakes or successors to older Halo maps mainly from Halo 2, I mean they didn't even remake the Pit.  RDR is such a good game I want to start it over again soon. "
    Compared to Halo 3 Reach actually has quite a few maps. Halo 3 had 11 maps at launch and 24 maps with all map packs added, Reach has 13 multiplayer maps and 8 firefight maps. I think the quantity of remakes and successors to previous maps is probably due to the fans frequently asking for remakes of a lot of different maps.
    Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Nardak

A worthy end to a great run by Bungie. Hopefully Microsoft is able to follow their footsteps and produce a  worthy successor in a few years time.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

Good blog man. I hope to see you in Multiplayer!

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By crunchUK
    @ShaneDev said:
    " Halo Reach is great only gripe I have with it is that their seems to be very few multiplayer maps most of which aren't new. They are all remakes or successors to older Halo maps mainly from Halo 2, I mean they didn't even remake the Pit.  RDR is such a good game I want to start it over again soon. "
    There's quite a good reason behind that. The pit in halo 3 would no longer work because the DMR could hit anything from anywhere whereas the halo 3 BR couldn't. Same reason blood gulch is back in reach but wasn't in halo 3... the halo 2 BR had a range much like that of the DMR.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By DystopiaX
    @ShaneDev said:
    I would not want them to remake the pit, or anything from H3 for that matter. I think they did this because gameplay wise Reach is more similar to H2/CE than H3 (reduced melee damage, more precision weapons, hitscan, etc.)
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Gamer_152 said:      

I really thought the ending was pretty fucking tired to be honest. If people didn't "get it" I cannot understand why at all. The fact that they were relics of a bygone age was absolutely hammered home during the last few chapters and became something of a cliche by the time the decidedly unsurprising ending came around. 

Edit: Okay, I seem to have broken it, but I was quoting the section in which he called RDR's ending a "thinker" basically. 

Which is wasn't.  

At all.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By zombie2011

I just beat the game and was surprised when the credits rolled, but then the after credits sequence and cut-scene was awesome. 

The entire time while playing the game i really thought maybe i can save Reach, but at the end i knew everyone had to die. :(

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @Nardak said:

" A worthy end to a great run by Bungie. Hopefully Microsoft is able to follow their footsteps and produce a  worth successor in a few years time. "

Great stuff from Bungie but like I said I'm a little apprehensive of what Microsoft plan to do with Halo now. They know that Halo makes money and I'm sure they won't be afraid of doing whatever they can to get it. There'll never be another Bungie but hopefully Microsoft are smart about what they do if they do make another Halo game.

@Axxol said:

" Good blog man. I hope to see you in Multiplayer! "

I'm from the UK so I don't know the likelihood that we'll run into each other but I'll definitely be playing a lot of multiplayer over the next week.

@crunchUK said:

" @ShaneDev said:

There's quite a good reason behind that. The pit in halo 3 would no longer work because the DMR could hit anything from anywhere whereas the halo 3 BR couldn't. Same reason blood gulch is back in reach but wasn't in halo 3... the halo 2 BR had a range much like that of the DMR. "
    @DystopiaX said:

" @ShaneDev said:

I would not want them to remake the pit, or anything from H3 for that matter. I think they did this because gameplay wise Reach is more similar to H2/CE than H3 (reduced melee damage, more precision weapons, hitscan, etc.) "
    They could have conceivably made a spiritual successor or a tweaked remake of The Pit but I think everyone had their own maps that they wanted to be remade and Bungie had to make some delicate choices. Personally I think it feels a little early for remakes of Halo 3 maps but I've played a lot more Halo 3 than the average gamer. Maybe we'll see some Halo 3 remakes as DLC.

@GetEveryone said:
    " @Gamer_152 said:      

I really thought the ending was pretty fucking tired to be honest. If people didn't "get it" I cannot understand why at all. The fact that they were relics of a bygone age was absolutely hammered home during the last few chapters and became something of a cliche by the time the decidedly unsurprising ending came around. 

Edit: Okay, I seem to have broken it, but I was quoting the section in which he called RDR's ending a "thinker" basically.  Which is wasn't.     At all. "
    Believe me, I saw plenty of people who were confused by the ending. I also think while RDRs metaphors may have not been the most subtle RDR concepts seen in fiction RDR certainly had a lot more unspoken subtext than the very large majority of games out there. As was commented on my blog last week it seems people either love or hate the RDR ending.

@zombie2011 said:
    " I just beat the game and was surprised when the credits rolled, but then the after credits sequence and cut-scene was awesome.  The entire time while playing the game i really thought maybe i can save Reach, but at the end i knew everyone had to die. :( "
    From the beginning you know how it ends.

Thanks to everyone who has commented on my blog.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I'm normally one of those guys that hates Halo, and I've hated the series since I played Halo 1. That being said, I'm really interested in Reach, and if I wasn't planning on buying something else right now, I'd probably get it. 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " I'm normally one of those guys that hates Halo, and I've hated the series since I played Halo 1. That being said, I'm really interested in Reach, and if I wasn't planning on buying something else right now, I'd probably get it.  "
    I'd be very careful about doing your research before you buy this game, Reach is by no means a game for someone that has hated the Halo series up until now. It takes what Halo has done and adds some great new features and improves on various aspects of the games but everything that made Halo 1-3 what they are is still in there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.