Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

The DLC Maps - Peoples Opinions

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Sitoxity

Recently in my Halo: Reach outings, I've been playing almost exclusively in the Premium Playlists, as I feel the new maps they added are severely underused. There's only ever a couple hundred people playing in these playlists (compared to the thousands in others) and I made me wonder why.

Is it that people don't like these maps? Or is it just the fact that the other playlists have more people? Maybe people don't like the gametypes in these lists?

I'd really love to know any of you guys opinions, if you're still playing.

I personally think they're some of the best map designs in the game, and Tempest in particular is not only fun but spectacular looking. I have a great amount of fun playing on all of the Noble and Defiant Maps, I just think it's a shame not many other people seem to play them.

So, opinions?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By big_jon

They were good, though damnation is my least favourite so far, I don't like the flow of that map.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By big_jon

Oh and installation 04 is really amazing, ODSTs and set pieces being dropped are just awesome.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sitoxity

Pretty sure neither of those are Noble or Defiant, let alone being in the game at the moment.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MideonNViscera

I love Tempest and Breakpoint is pretty good too. It just sucks that they didn't make any DLC Required playlists to go with them. I got Noble maps a few times in regular playlists, but that never, ever happens with the Defiant ones. It feels like nobody bought that pack. Having DLC Required playlists "encourages" people to buy them, and gives the people who already bought them a way better way to play them.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sitoxity

@MideonNViscera: They do have those playlists, but they're just solely for the DLC (even though I've seen a couple of Forge World/Invasion maps on there with different game modes)

I really wish they did it like Halo 3 and added them into the normal playlists. It would be great to play them more often.

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FajitaBoss

@Sitoxity said:

I really wish they did it like Halo 3 and added them into the normal playlists. It would be great to play them more often.

I like both Noble and Defiant maps, this is my only complain not being able to play them more.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Green_Incarnate

This is the same shit that happened in Halo 2, and Reach is nowhere near as popular as that game. Only when people are forced to download the maps, are when they become relevant. People only care about playing their favorite playlist, and if the new maps aren't part of that playlist, then you're boned.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258
    @big_jon said:

They were good, though damnation is my least favourite so far, I don't like the flow of that map.

Oh and installation 04 is really amazing, ODSTs and set pieces being dropped are just awesome.  

It would be great to know how you already have access to those maps. 

OP, I do wish they would be integrated into the normal playlists. However, a lot of people who didn't buy Halo 3's DLC complained about only having like 1 playlist to get on, so now they've changed it to where if you want to play on a new map, you have to pick one of the two playlists that feature them. So they're pretty much just screwing a different crowd. Which is wrong, because now they're sticking it right into the paying customers... 

...metaphor gone wrong. Anyway, say what you will about Call of Duty but at least its matchmaking allows anyone to play in any playlist regardless of whether or not they own DLC (I guess it just checks if you have it or not and checks the people you're playing with). I like Halo's multi better, but I wish they would throw the DLC maps into the mix. I want to play Infection and Team Deathmatch on some of the newer ones. 

EDIT: Also, I know this isn't going to happen, but it would be awesome if all of the maps across the entire series that weren't already ported to Halo Reach were completely reworked and put into Reach, similar to how some Halo 1 maps are getting placed into the Anniversary edition. This includes ODST's Firefight maps, by the way, which I found myself not playing as much due to the lack of options. I really didn't like all the skulls that were added. 

Also the PC exclusive maps. And I wish we could play Firefight on the multi maps and regular gametypes on the Firefight maps, just for the hell of it... 

...sorry, got off topic there for a bit.
    Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sitoxity

Yeah, the way the CoD games did the whole DLC problem was good, it's a shame that Reach hasn't had that implemented yet.

I'm okay with not having all the old maps back, though there are some I wish we had. Chrion couldn't work purely because the amount of teleporters they can have in the engine is a lot smaller than they'd need. (I'm sure I heard someone at Bungie talk about wanting to make it at some point...) but I would have loved a new version of Boarding Action.

I'm fine with the Firefight maps as they are, though I wouldn't mind having the ODST ones to play around with. As for MP in FF maps and vice versa, they're designed completely differently, so I doubt they'd work well as their opposites.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By big_jon
    @believer258: PAX
    rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By rawrz

I loved both DLC packs. I just tend to think those premium playlists arnt more played since they only have those DLC maps and it kinda gets boring to play the same few maps over and over. Ill occassionally get those maps to come up in normal playlists but its rare and sadly it usually ends up being Anchor 9 which is probably my least favorite of all the DLC maps.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DonPixel

Both are good, great maps in both - They should fix the rotation, having them in the DLC premiun list is clearly not helping.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Samaritan

I have a feeling that after Anniversary comes out, the DLC map playlists will get a ton more foot traffic. That said though, it is a shame that they're underpopulated right now cause a lot of those maps are positively superb. Certain Affinity knows them some Halo maps!

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Slaker117

I don't know if I've ever played a real game on it, but I love Highlands just for the way it looks, so I'm going to say that should be in the rotation more, if only because I think it's pretty.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DonPixel

@Slaker117 said:

I don't know if I've ever played a real game on it, but I love Highlands just for the way it looks, so I'm going to say that should be in the rotation more, if only because I think it's pretty.

At peak hours there is arround 1k players in the premium DLC list - Getting constant games on those maps is NP

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might be just me, but I simply don't see the value in the map packs.
    And cutting me off because I don't throw my cash down? Yeah, I'll be here enjoying Firefight matchmaking then.
    I still think DLC is too expensive.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sitoxity

@TaliciaDragonsong: I think we don't want to cut people off who don't buy the maps, because hey, that's your choice if you don't want them. It's just been proven that there is a way to have the DLC maps in these playlists without splintering the community, as was mentioned in CoD games.

Honestly, the map packs for Halo have always been good value to me. You get a decent number of them, they add in some achievements and they're always top quality. (Unlike the CoD DLC, which I do think is way overpriced, and why I never bought them)

The firefight map they added in one of the map packs (I forget which one) was actually pretty damned neat. Very fun.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sitoxity
    I hear ya, its just quite silly to see a "You need DLC to play this playlist" etc.
    I understand why and how, I just don't like the concept!

Can't speak for any Reach or CoD map packs, I only got the Halo 3 ones for free on the ODST disc ( right?) but I dislike it in general.
    I was actually doubting to buy that map pack just for the Firefight map, I love firefight.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShaneDev

Halo Reach does integrate all the DLC maps into other non premium playlists. If everyone in a match has the maps they will be available to play the same as COD. I haven't bought any DLC maps so I don't know how often they come up but I remember it being a thing Bungie had stated since lots of people complained about not being able to play in popular playlists without DLC. 

I haven't bought any maps because I don't have the spare cash laying around and although the default maps in the game aren't great I still find them enjoyable. I might get them some day but Halo 4 is out next year and I might be better saving the money till then.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sitoxity

@ShaneDev: Even if this is the case, they are extremely uncommon to the point where they just do not come up. I've never played a regular playlist on a DLC map.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Some of them are cool but the fact that they aren't integrated in the main modes kind of ruins them to me, because I rarely play on premium slayer.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DonPixel

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Sitoxity: I hear ya, its just quite silly to see a "You need DLC to play this playlist" etc. I understand why and how, I just don't like the concept! Can't speak for any Reach or CoD map packs, I only got the Halo 3 ones for free on the ODST disc ( right?) but I dislike it in general. I was actually doubting to buy that map pack just for the Firefight map, I love firefight.

Considering Reach is going to be the main Halo multiplayer hub for at least a couple of years more. DLC has more value than CoD ones.

Black ops just release a new DLC like a week ago... who's going to buy that with Mw3 coming in a couple of months?

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DonPixel
    If you say so, I'm not up to date on Reach's community.
    I'm still waiting for more Firefight maps or options.

Forge Firefight, it needs to happen.
    Hell, import the ODST firefight maps, I'd pay for them ( I know, ironic).
    left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By left4doof

They did to little to late

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DonPixel

@left4doof said:

They did to little to late

They took to long to deliver balance updates yup, I still play it thou. There is no other multiplayer like it.

davidinwrofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By davidinwrofy

I want more map variety in Reach! I can count on my fingers the number of times a DLC map has come up in the regular playlists. And even if they come up, that's no guarantee they'll be selected. My biggest gripe with Reach that, having paid for two DLC packs, I hardly ever get to play on them. They're good maps, but largely ignored. Because Reach divides its (limited number of) maps into "big" and "small", if you play the "core" playlists (TD, Infection, Squad Slayer) you end up playing the same "small" maps over and over again. And, before anyone makes the point, the Forge maps (though some are pretty good) are no substitute for proper maps! I've played on the DLC-specific playlists a couple of times, but they are dominated by the very best players, making it quite hard for me to find competitive games. As has been pointed out above, COD does integration of DLC maps far better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.