Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

Did Halo change the genre for the worse or for the better?

• 52 results
    jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By jaymorgoth

I am definitely in the camp that Halo changed the genre for the better on consoles. I think the most important thing is that it took what Goldeneye was trying to do and perfected it. Halo was that moment when people realized that consoles FPS could be just as good as PC FPS if done correctly. They discovered the formula for making the genre viable on the console as more then novelty, but something that could be developed with the console in mind rather then as a port from the PC. Halo may not be the best game ever but it certainly is a milestone in the genre for the shift in development it created.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

For me the best FPS'es are Goldeneye -> Perfect Dark -> Timesplitters 2/3 -> Halo 3.
    It continued the lineage of shooters that handle perfectly and are a lot of fun in my case.

Not saying Halo should be today's template, but it is one of the best shooters out there.
    No opinion can change that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.