Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

Halo: It's getting increasingly less relevant

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

Edited By Skald

Let me start off by saying this: I like Halo. Like, a lot. One could even say that I love Halo, if they were so inclined. 

Now, Halo has been catching a lot of flack since Halo 2 for being a playground for kids between the ages of eight and fourteen. Collectively, people's opinions about these kids are negative. They are loud and annoying and obnoxious, and that is pretty much a fact. The easiest way to avoid them used to be avoiding Halo, but as time has worn on and Halo has become less popular all around, I think these kids have mostly left for the next big lowest common denominator shooter, Call of Duty. 
    Now, I think it's status as being "for whiny kids" etc. is a bit undeserved. I was actually playing Reach today and didn't encounter a single obnoxious person. As a matter of fact, I didn't encounter a lot of people in general. Considering Halo 2 had people hooked right up until the original Xbox's Live service was disconnected, that's a bit alarming. Early this afternoon, some of the gametypes only had a couple hundred people playing them. So what exactly is happening to Halo? 

In my opinion, three interconnected concepts are weighing Halo down. They all have largely to do with the fact that Halo adheres to some outdated, and frankly questionable design choices. Before I list them, I just want to let you all know that I don't want Call of Duty in my Halo, but I think that, by and large, it would convert a non-inconsequential amount of people back from Black Ops. Anyway, in no particualar order, here they are:

PROBLEM NUMBER ONE - CONTROLS, STAGNATION, ETC.
    One of the problems with Halo is the fact that it's not "going anywhere." People these days all want what the current most popular FPS has, namely iron sights and sprinting that isn't completely fucked. The bigger issue here is that Halo: Reach, despite looking and playing better than it's predecessors, is in fact, almost completely identical to the earlier Halo games. 

PROBLEM NUMBER TWO - OLD HABITS DIE HARD 
    Ties in to number one, and personally, this is the one I have the most trouble with- the matchmaking is a harrowing experience. What seemed slick and streamlined back on the original Xbox with Halo 2 is now nightmarish to behold. Searching for games takes way longer than necessary, and for no particular reason. And for whatever reason, Bungie won't let people join matches in progress and almost always penalizes people for quitting early. It's so easy to bring this system up to date! This seems like a huge missed opportunity to me.

PROBLEM NUMBER 3 - ALIENS! AND OTHER CLICHES 
    The other real issue I can think of is the fact that Halo has mostly run its course as the "cool thing," which is totally understandable. At a certain point, the aliens and humans simply have to stop fighting, because let's face it: constant attacks on earth get boring after a while. It's for this same reason that eventually Call of Duty will get boring, variety being the spice of life and all. 

My point is thus: Halo is a great game and a landmark franchise, but as far as I can tell, the series is having trouble letting go of some of the series' dated concepts.    

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Skald

Let me start off by saying this: I like Halo. Like, a lot. One could even say that I love Halo, if they were so inclined. 

Now, Halo has been catching a lot of flack since Halo 2 for being a playground for kids between the ages of eight and fourteen. Collectively, people's opinions about these kids are negative. They are loud and annoying and obnoxious, and that is pretty much a fact. The easiest way to avoid them used to be avoiding Halo, but as time has worn on and Halo has become less popular all around, I think these kids have mostly left for the next big lowest common denominator shooter, Call of Duty. 
    Now, I think it's status as being "for whiny kids" etc. is a bit undeserved. I was actually playing Reach today and didn't encounter a single obnoxious person. As a matter of fact, I didn't encounter a lot of people in general. Considering Halo 2 had people hooked right up until the original Xbox's Live service was disconnected, that's a bit alarming. Early this afternoon, some of the gametypes only had a couple hundred people playing them. So what exactly is happening to Halo? 

In my opinion, three interconnected concepts are weighing Halo down. They all have largely to do with the fact that Halo adheres to some outdated, and frankly questionable design choices. Before I list them, I just want to let you all know that I don't want Call of Duty in my Halo, but I think that, by and large, it would convert a non-inconsequential amount of people back from Black Ops. Anyway, in no particualar order, here they are:

PROBLEM NUMBER ONE - CONTROLS, STAGNATION, ETC.
    One of the problems with Halo is the fact that it's not "going anywhere." People these days all want what the current most popular FPS has, namely iron sights and sprinting that isn't completely fucked. The bigger issue here is that Halo: Reach, despite looking and playing better than it's predecessors, is in fact, almost completely identical to the earlier Halo games. 

PROBLEM NUMBER TWO - OLD HABITS DIE HARD 
    Ties in to number one, and personally, this is the one I have the most trouble with- the matchmaking is a harrowing experience. What seemed slick and streamlined back on the original Xbox with Halo 2 is now nightmarish to behold. Searching for games takes way longer than necessary, and for no particular reason. And for whatever reason, Bungie won't let people join matches in progress and almost always penalizes people for quitting early. It's so easy to bring this system up to date! This seems like a huge missed opportunity to me.

PROBLEM NUMBER 3 - ALIENS! AND OTHER CLICHES 
    The other real issue I can think of is the fact that Halo has mostly run its course as the "cool thing," which is totally understandable. At a certain point, the aliens and humans simply have to stop fighting, because let's face it: constant attacks on earth get boring after a while. It's for this same reason that eventually Call of Duty will get boring, variety being the spice of life and all. 

My point is thus: Halo is a great game and a landmark franchise, but as far as I can tell, the series is having trouble letting go of some of the series' dated concepts.    

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

If I have a nickel for every time someone makes one of these threads about Halo I'd have about 690 nickels. 

A day.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#3  Edited By Little_Socrates

I'll just say that I'm glad the franchise has changed hands. They'll either now just appeal to people who already like Halo and want more campaigns and multiplayer, or they'll actually create something new.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By wrighteous86

I think they've focused too much on community features and multiplayer, when all I ever wanted was a kick-ass space-adventure story... but I'm still invested.  Just, less so.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Does its falling out of favor mean we can all agree it's good again? Or do we still have to hate it?

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Skald
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:

" Does its falling out of favor mean we can all agree it's good again? Or do we still have to hate it? "

That is the million dollar question. I'm guessing we still hate it, but largely start hating the next thing. FOR THE REST OF FOREVER.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By mordukai
    @xyzygy said:

" If I have a nickel for every time someone makes one of these threads about Halo I'd have about 690 nickels.  A day. "

Slightly over 12K a year...Not bad.  Where do sign???? 
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By benpack

I think Halo will always be remembered for the innovation it brought to console multiplayer. Like the game or not, it did do some neat things that were already established on the PC, but not common on consoles.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By MaddProdigy
    @xyzygy said:
    " If I have a nickel for every time someone makes one of these threads about Halo I'd have about 690 nickels.  A day. "  
    lol this thread got owned within mere minutes of postage
    CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By CptChiken
    @GlenTennis said:
    " I think Halo will always be remembered for the innovation it brought to console multiplayer. Like the game or not, it did do some neat things that were already established on the PC, but not common on consoles. "
    Amen.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Rockdalf

Okay, so when you're making THE LAST sequel in a series of groundbreaking titles, that have spanned successfully over two consoles, which is known for it's well refined niche gameplay that revolutionized the genre nearly a decade ago, do you change the formula, destroying your already dying fanbase OR capstone it with a focused tribute to what has made you a figure head in the gaming industry. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.