Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hawken

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Feb 14, 2014

Hawken is a free to play, multiplayer-only first-person shooter featuring enormous mechs and micro-transactions from independent studio Adhesive Games.

Detail and Vision Are Like Food

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure

I'm working toward an essay, but in the meantime, I watched:

this video  (less than 2.5 minutes)

via 

this link

and I--  you know what, I just deleted a paragraph or two because this is what it's really about: 

When I was a kid, I liked giant robots. I am an adult by some accounts, but I still am fond of them, though my mind no longer explodes anymore when I see something cool and new on the mech front. Yet when I saw this trailer the kid in me said "damn, I wish we had that when I wasn't trapped inside this adult!" I think that kid also did a little jig.

Hobby stuff was pretty expensive for me then, and I was resigned knowing that my appetites far exceeded my ability to buy things up, so bookstores and hobby stores were where I soaked up all the book covers and snippets and details of worlds made from people's imaginations. I would often leave the big city stores feeling full (having seen a lot of pictures but having never read more than a page) because my imagination was bursting with ideas all inspired by what I saw. After I started reading a few of those books later on, I knew that my imagination often far exceeded what was often being delivered, and I learned to treasure that rather than resent it.

When I see that trailer, janky physics, buggy motion and all, and I look at the detail of those machines in that pretty, ugly world, and I know that if I'd seen that as a kid I wouldn't have needed to go to a bookstore or hobby store for many, many months. Because there's some great vision in that trailer, even if you're not into the combat, mechs, or any number of well-trod paths such games take. For some reason no fancy words fit with how I felt when I watched that; to me it just looked really cool.

In general I tend to feel fed when I see something that, even if bad, does something in a new or interesting way, and this was interesting.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I'm working toward an essay, but in the meantime, I watched:

this video  (less than 2.5 minutes)

via 

this link

and I--  you know what, I just deleted a paragraph or two because this is what it's really about: 

When I was a kid, I liked giant robots. I am an adult by some accounts, but I still am fond of them, though my mind no longer explodes anymore when I see something cool and new on the mech front. Yet when I saw this trailer the kid in me said "damn, I wish we had that when I wasn't trapped inside this adult!" I think that kid also did a little jig.

Hobby stuff was pretty expensive for me then, and I was resigned knowing that my appetites far exceeded my ability to buy things up, so bookstores and hobby stores were where I soaked up all the book covers and snippets and details of worlds made from people's imaginations. I would often leave the big city stores feeling full (having seen a lot of pictures but having never read more than a page) because my imagination was bursting with ideas all inspired by what I saw. After I started reading a few of those books later on, I knew that my imagination often far exceeded what was often being delivered, and I learned to treasure that rather than resent it.

When I see that trailer, janky physics, buggy motion and all, and I look at the detail of those machines in that pretty, ugly world, and I know that if I'd seen that as a kid I wouldn't have needed to go to a bookstore or hobby store for many, many months. Because there's some great vision in that trailer, even if you're not into the combat, mechs, or any number of well-trod paths such games take. For some reason no fancy words fit with how I felt when I watched that; to me it just looked really cool.

In general I tend to feel fed when I see something that, even if bad, does something in a new or interesting way, and this was interesting.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

That's a lot of geometry going on.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Claude:  Yes. And I imagine it would be hard to live in those cities, even if there weren't robots with missile launchers.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Bollard

That looks pretty damn awesome! And you can really tell it's the Unreal Engine... Cause there's an Unreal amount of pop-in. Hah. 

Also reminds me of this (supposedly IN GAME!) trailer I saw a while back of MechAssault (5). I have to say it looks insane, shame it seems nothing will come of it. I <3 Atlases. 

EDIT: Although looking at it now it seems less impressive than it did in 2009 haha.

JakeLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By JakeLogan

The janky physics and buggy motion made it feel more authentic to me.  Kinda like, yeah, these are big, fucking lugs of metal being brought to bear as weapons.  The "not-rock-steady" camera and steam/smoke/particle effects really brought that out too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.