Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

Heavy Rain in French

Avatar image for greatplainsbison
    greatplainsbison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By greatplainsbison

So I noticed that you can play the Heavy Rain demo in French.  Turns out that the voice acting is just different in the French.  I didn't play the whole demo again in French, but for example, the prostitute is characterized much differently in the French than the English.  In the English her tone is more of that, "I'm a tough seen-it-all woman (cigarette drag), what the %#&@ do you want."  In the French she is clearly a young woman who lost her child, more frightened, demure.  This makes you ask a lot of questions, like whether or not this woman was always selling herself.  Maybe the death of her son sent her into a downward spiral.  The American woman sounds like the type who would keep a gun by the door and not put up with that dude busting into her apartment.  

I'm no dubbing purist.   But I think I might be playing Heavy Rain in French with subtitles.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By dbz1995

That's interesting. I'm intrigued now; I might try it as well.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

I don't know what the French voice acting sounds like but I thought the English voice acting was pretty mediocre in the demo. I may do that myself though, playing the game in French. Won't let those French classes go to waste.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By metalsnakezero

Played the demo in French and it sounded a lot more natural which made things more intriguing.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Binman88

I thought the French sounded just as bad as the English VO.

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FartyMcNarly

They're french people trying to talk "like Americans" so everybody is probably more brash when doing their English counter parts.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I speak french and I thought it sounded good, I'll probably play it that way as I prefer french 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Binman88 said:
    " I thought the French sounded just as bad as the English VO. "
    I don't think he's talking about the quality of it, but what they actually say.
    Avatar image for greatplainsbison
    greatplainsbison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By greatplainsbison

Just to clarify, I was saying that the intonation of the characters was different in the French than in the English, making them sound like the actors were going for different characterizations.  So like compare the voices of the Bob Hoskins Mario with the Chris Martinet Mario.  Totally different interpretations of Mario.  I was not saying that the translation was off or anything like that.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Hmm...I'll try it here in a minute.

Now I do not know French but it seems better.  I can't say for sure though as it's like people who do not know Japanese preferring anime or games in its original Japanese language.  It sounds fine but you are not sure if the acting is fine.

I'll play the game once through in English so that I do not get distracted on reading the subtitles.  Then second time through I'll do it through French.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By demonbear

Well this game IS made by a french studio so of course the true way to play it would be in french, just like an FF should be played in japanese.

Now since im a french cahadian, this is a piece of info i havent thought of until now, up here, we're used to play stuff in english even though its avaiable in french because it sounds more real. For once its gonna be the other way around.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Bones8677

Just played through the first half of the demo with the French audio, and I have to say I'm not all that impressed. I took two years of French in high school, which was a long while ago. But the speech (as is typical in French) is rushed at times, so you can't pick up on individual words as easily as you can in English. Plus the French voice for the cop doesn't really fit him, it sounds too young. His English voice works best out of all other characters in the demo.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I won't be playing in French. I usually don't play games with subtitles on, and with this style of game, I don't want to be reading text all the time. If it was an RPG or something I wouldn't have as much of a problem.

vinsanity09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vinsanity09
    @demonbear said:
    " Well this game IS made by a french studio so of course the true way to play it would be in french, just like an FF should be played in japanese.  Now since im a french cahadian, this is a piece of info i havent thought of until now, up here, we're used to play stuff in english even though its avaiable in french because it sounds more real. For once its gonna be the other way around. "
    yeah me too, I always play my games in english, except for the Ubisoft Montreal ones (like POP or AC).

I've never thought of playing the demo in french, I'll try later or tomorrow
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

I took it as she was always a prostitute because she said that her sons friends would call her a whore or something along those lines.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Ghostiet

@LiquidPrince: Exactly. The OP's overinterpreting.

The actors simply aren't Americans or Brits. In some cases it works - like the doc in the trailer, the whore or Shelby, sometimes it doesn't sound well, like with the portier in the trailer or Norman.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By captain_clayman

interesting...

VarkhanMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By VarkhanMB

So for a native french-speaker, it would be better to play it in French... That just seems odd... I've never done that... You'd think that speaking French, I would do that all the time, but I hate the way French voice-actors usually sound. I'll check it out come launch which one sounds better, but color me intrigued...

If it changes so much when it comes to the nature of the characters, it makes me wonder.. which one was the intended result? Or which one would provide the most benefit to the story? It just feels weird hearing French in a game that is set in the US... Also, the website kinda looks like crap when I choose French, but I guess that's just the web-team, so it says nothing about the game.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Clembo

French and American cinema is very different.  Both equally awesome but I suppose this game lends itself more to French speaking and English subtitles.  I'm no purist either way so that'll be my route one.

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By stephengotlost

It's quite possible that the English translations were made to suit the "western" audience more. Hence, the disparity between the French and English voice overs.

Paboned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Paboned

i think that girls mouth is fucked up

Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Clembo
    @stephengotlost said:
    " It's quite possible that the English translations were made to suit the "western" audience more. Hence, the disparity between the French and English voice overs. "
    No they added the dub in as a joke, they were being condescending about how English speakers don't bother to watch French-speaking cinema using terrible voice actors to mimick how Americans speak in an unfllattering way, somehow the humour was lost on us and we lapped it up as edgey and noir.
    iToastage_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iToastage_FM

I played the demo 3 times now, in English, German and Russian , and as a speaker of all 3 I though that the voice acting was done pretty excellently. It didn't simply translate word for word, but made a sincere effort to cater for the subtleties of each individual language. Surprisingly, I found the english voice acting to be somewhat worse than all the others, mostly because it was clear that it was europeans mimicking a US vernacular. The other two versions were slick, stylish, and never had an awkward, split-second pause that broke that portion of the experience. I think that I'll forego playing in english, at least the first time round, in the real thing. The accuracy of the russian voice-over astounded me, personally. Mad props to the developers who made the game's voice acting pretty damn immersive in so many languages (assuming the versions that I have not played hold up). A bit of a niggle of mine is that they didn't translate the floating-thought-face-button-text into russian, so it stayed in english, however it was translated into german.

LeBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LeBart
    @FartyMcNarly said:

" They're french people trying to talk "like Americans" so everybody is probably more brash when doing their English counter parts. "

The prostitute is the only french actress in the game (well, that we know of anyway). 

@stephengotlost said: 

" It's quite possible that the English translations were made to suit the "western" audience more. Hence, the disparity between the French and English voice overs. "

The script was written in English, the french version is translated from english. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.