Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

I hope this sells. I really do.

• 59 results
    NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NegativeCreep

Just getting a taste of the gameplay in the demo was enough to sell me on a first day purchase. I've haven't played a game in a very long time with such an overwhelming sense of mood and atmosphere (and the music!)....it's nothing short of a goddamn work of art. I might be gushing a little bit, but this game really might be the kick in the ass that the industry needs right now. Say what you want about Sony, but they've got some serious balls to invest in a project of this nature. I really hope that the gaming public rewards them for creating something that's so different from the dozens of soulless products flooding the market right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna pre order DAT MADDEN instead. This game looks faggy, where the guns and big ass ramps at? 
    This shit is for gay niggaz.
    I thought the PSTripple was all about being ABAP.
    ABAP!

No Caption Provided
    FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FartyMcNarly

Different = commercial failure, just look at Activision.

It has tits though, I'm sure if they show off more tits and advertise that it has tits then it'll sell better.

NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NegativeCreep

It'll sell better in Japan. The Japanese LOVE the "visual novel" style of gaming.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @FartyMcNarly said:
    " Different = commercial failure, just look at Activision.  It has tits though, I'm sure if they show off more tits and advertise that it has tits then it'll sell better. "
    Richard Simmons has tits. 
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB

It's a niche, artsy game available only on the console that has the least amount of units sold in the US. If really good "interactive movies" sold well, then you'd have more games like Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain out there already, not to mention visual novels like Ever17 and Remember11.

I hope I'm wrong, though, because this is something the industry needs more of. Maybe something like this should be done more often on a smaller budget to offset the fact that it won't clear nearly as many units as your typical generic FPS.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Andorski

No way will this game sell well in the US.  I have a feeling that Sony thinks this as well.  They have been pitching this game as their "art house" title - a title that markets the system as a whole.  Meanwhile, they trot out Uncharted 2, God of War 3, and Gran Turismo 5 in all their press conferences and say "they games will sell big."

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Marz

preordered mine when i saw that there would be digital tits.

v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By v

im definitely going to get it... If i were to guess, im thinking it will sell like Indigo Prophecy, Ico, or Shadow of the Colossus did.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I definitely think it will sell better than Indigo Prophecy, but how much more is hard to determine.  People who go to videogame websites frequently will definitely know about it, but past that I don't know who else could possible purchase it or heck even know or care about it.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Afroman269

If took a long while for Uncharted 2 to hit a million then I really don't see this game becoming a hit. I'll still get it though.

v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By v

I mean, i think its going to sell like the other "art" games

jlanzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By jlanzer

it only catches a niche audience, but indigo prophecy was def a cult classic with a following that will hopefully purchase this title.  from what i see i definitely want to get this game.

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Daroki

I fear that it's going to sell as well as other "art" games.  But when I pick up my PS3 this weekend, Heavy Rain's the first game that I'm picking up for it.  I loved Indigo Prophecy, even though the ending was messed up, and it looks like they've fixed the problems that they had with it and they're focusing on the things that I liked the most.   

Sony needs to have a commercial for this game like their Ratchet and Clank and MAG ads, at the very least because I want to see more of the current Sony ad campaign.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By stonyman65

First day buy for me. Control issues aside I think it will be an awesome game. The demo had me in the first 5 mins.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Boom_goes_the_dynamite: I'm not sure about outselling, remember that Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy came out on the PC, PS2 and Xbox back when the consoles were well established in millions upon millions of homes.
    v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By v

my previous point being stated, my favorite game is SoTC, and i though the demo was incredible, so I will definitely be getting this, its just a matter of when 

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rowr

I think people are busy playing mass effect 2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rowr: HURF DURF, I KEEP PUTTING DISC ONE OF MASS EFFECT IN MY PS3, BUT IT DOESN'T WORK HERP DERP
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jambones

Any clues if they'll charge the full $60 admission fee? I think a lot of people won't play this game purely under the assumption it's just a fancy interactive story; so surely it'd be a smart move with a game like that to charge less then the going rate for a AAA title. I don't know, I don't want to short change the game, it looks great, but I do want to see more people trying something a little different.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rowr
    @TeflonBilly said:
    " @Rowr: HURF DURF, I KEEP PUTTING DISC ONE OF MASS EFFECT IN MY PS3, BUT IT DOESN'T WORK HERP DERP "
    well, people who like to multiplatform i guess. I have a tendency to assume everyone has access to everything :\
    Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TeflonBilly: I forgot about that, so then I do think it will be hard for Heavy Rain to sell well, or at least for what it seems to deserve.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Mmmslash

I hope it sells well enough to encourage developers to continue to make new, original ideas, as well as IP's.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Rowr said:
    " I think people are busy playing mass effect 2. "
    Even for the multiplatform crowd... that totally came out 2 weeks ago. I'm waaay done with that game. 
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By eclipsesis

I'm going to buy it, it seems like a step in the right direction for gaming. I would hate to be stuck in this Third/First person shooter rut that we have our selfs stuck in. But gaming has yet to mature as a story/narrative medium, but like i said Heavy Rain seems like its wiling to take a chance and make a change for the better.

Quantic Dream will definitely make its money back, but only turn a small profit. 

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dylabaloo

I hope it doesn't sell so it will come to the Triple three six 0 or the sega cd! I Turned this thread on its head!!

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GunnBjorn

Well, the reviews go from lukewarm 'fair' to downright encomiastic. 
    It could go either way. 
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#28  Edited By Icemael

I would've been more than happy to support the game... if it weren't for its wonky controls, disorienting camera, and often terrible voice acting. I can appreciate originality, but if a game isn't mechanically sound, I really couldn't care less about how unique it is.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#29  Edited By chronicsmoke

played the demo a few days ago,the game is now on preorder

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By ProfessorEss

At risk of being called "simple" and "immature" by roaming packs of internet teenagers I'll throw my hat in here saying I'm pretty indifferent to how it sells.

I respect the balls it took to invest in it, I respect the talent that went in to making it, but I personally don't want to see this as the future of gaming. If the future of gaming ends up as playing interactive novels with magic wand controllers I could see myself finding a new favourite hobby.

I'll play it, and hopefully enjoy it, but I'm still a gamey-ass game type of guy. 

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By eclipsesis
    @Icemael said:

" I would've been more than happy to support the game... if it weren't for its wonky controls, disorienting camera, and often terrible voice acting. I can appreciate originality, but if a game isn't mechanically sound, I really couldn't care less about how unique it is. "

Well i imagine that this game is truly in its element when its in French, as its a French game. But, if your from the US, you at least get an attempt at your accent to make things familiar. I myself am so bored of hearing games with north American accents. But because we in the UK speak roughly the same language as those in the US, so we have to put up with the same voice overs, as a result nothing ever really seems familiar to me.
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CaptainObvious
    @TeflonBilly said:
    " I'm gonna pre order DAT MADDEN instead. This game looks faggy, where the guns and big ass ramps at? 
    ABAP!

No Caption Provided
    "
    Sup Bitchez. 

Its CHEWURDNN herr. imagona talk abot dat TEH PS TRIPLE.  Gay niggaz. BALLIN! Dat ehave reahn looks liek a DIHDO.
    Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Psych0Penguin

hope it does. looks different and actually looks like its story is up there with the best. 'ppose time will tell.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eclipsesis: I hope Nolan North is in this game. Playing Nolan North... with a French accent
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TwoOneFive

i dont ever understand why people care about sales like these. i can understand if you just a want a lot of people play it and it gets well recieved and all though. its two different trains of though that kind of mean the same thing

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By eclipsesis
    @TeflonBilly:

He could do it, he did play Vossler in Final Fantasy 12, if you heard it you wouldn't have guessed it was him. That man is remarkable but when dev's use him they just ask for the "everyman attitude similar to Nathan Drake" and not use him to his full potential.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eclipsesis: Shit, I meant to write Nolan North playing Nathan Drake... with a French accent

"Sacre bleu!" *Drake's awkward laughther*
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @TeflonBilly said:
    " I'm gonna pre order DAT MADDEN instead. This game looks faggy, where the guns and big ass ramps at? 
    ABAP!

No Caption Provided
    "
    um... i guess you never saw fat princess or flower or a dozen other games with no guns a splosions.
    fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By fugie7

played the demo really got into it. despite its problems, im still planning to get it. this time i only have to wait 2 more weeks for it come out.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xyzygy
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " i dont ever understand why people care about sales like these. i can understand if you just a want a lot of people play it and it gets well recieved and all though. its two different trains of though that kind of mean the same thing "
    Because if a game sells well, there will likely be more chances of another game based on this style and it would prove that these types of games can actually sell. 

Sadly, I don't think Heavy Rain will sell well at all. It's too short for a casual gamer who doesn't appreciate it for what it is and it's complete lack of gameplay and movie-like setting will mean that it's purely dependent on the story. Besides, I don't think I've even seen any ads for this anywhere... has anyone else?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TwoOneFive: Sheeeit. Chad Warden ain't playin' with no fat princesses. And flowers, dat shit is for gay niggaz.
    Dat ain't ABAP! 

C-wizzle needs to return. ABAP ASAP niggaz!  BALLIN'!
    JellyFish_Gsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JellyFish_Gsus

I for one am buying it. I loved their last game Fahrenheit

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @xyzygy said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    " i dont ever understand why people care about sales like these. i can understand if you just a want a lot of people play it and it gets well recieved and all though. its two different trains of though that kind of mean the same thing "
    Because if a game sells well, there will likely be more chances of another game based on this style and it would prove that these types of games can actually sell.  Sadly, I don't think Heavy Rain will sell well at all. It's too short for a casual gamer who doesn't appreciate it for what it is and it's complete lack of gameplay and movie-like setting will mean that it's purely dependent on the story. Besides, I don't think I've even seen any ads for this anywhere... has anyone else? "
    i understand that, so really you just want more people to play and like it, but the actual sales, like the money it makes, who gives a shit, you wont see any of it. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xyzygy
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    Because if a game sells well, there will likely be more chances of another game based on this style and it would prove that these types of games can actually sell.  Sadly, I don't think Heavy Rain will sell well at all. It's too short for a casual gamer who doesn't appreciate it for what it is and it's complete lack of gameplay and movie-like setting will mean that it's purely dependent on the story. Besides, I don't think I've even seen any ads for this anywhere... has anyone else? "
    i understand that, so really you just want more people to play and like it, but the actual sales, like the money it makes, who gives a shit, you wont see any of it.  "
    Are you talking about me when you say "you", or are you referring to the general public when you say "you"?
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#45  Edited By rjayb89

FUCK THE PS3

All about the NEO GEO

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @xyzygy said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    i understand that, so really you just want more people to play and like it, but the actual sales, like the money it makes, who gives a shit, you wont see any of it.  "
    Are you talking about me when you say "you", or are you referring to the general public when you say "you"? "
    the royal you... 
    fuck who cares moving on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rjayb89: I feel like Goodbye Horses should be playing in the background instead.
    He could make a bodysuit out of the covers
    Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jrad
    @TwoOneFive

Lots of people playing the game and lots of sales are different. They're entwined somewhat, but they're still different. The more sales it gets, the more money the company makes, the higher the chance they'll stick to this sort of game. If a bunch of people play it but the sales don't stand up, they might not make another one.

You're quite right -- I don't see any of the money that they make... except in the form of a new game, potentially.
     To flip your reasoning around: Why would I (or the general public) care about whether or not others play the game and like it?
    Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49  Edited By Kibblez

As much as agree with the OP, I can't justify spending full price on a game I know I can rent for a week and still get all the experience out of it I need.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Gruff182
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " @Rowr said:
    " I think people are busy playing mass effect 2. "
    Even for the multiplatform crowd... that totally came out 2 weeks ago. I'm waaay done with that game.  "
    Yep, spot on. I'l even be done with Bioshock 2 by then.

Heavy Rain pre-ordered. Well done Sony for investing in it. If it had a Space Marine in it, Microsoft would have as well!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.