Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

My personal reason to why this game is a instant classic(no spoi)

DannyCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DannyCool

I rarely write on forums, but i had to now. 

After i played around 1.5 hours and got up, i felt disturbed. A certain plot that happens could have happened to everyone, and the motion and feeling this certain character showed was depressing. I really felt for this character, i almost was a bit sad. And i been sitting here thinking of his situation and how i would react. In certain situations i truly saw the raw motion and reality in it. This may sound wierd, but i couldnt eat right after i was doing playing, because of the raw emotions around this character. I controlled him, i was him. I experienced his situation and tragedy in a way that affected me in real life. I know this game has it faults, glitches and bugs. But if u look apart from that, which im doing now i truly think this is a game which deserves a place in a video game hall of fame. No game ever has affected me in my real life.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By thatfrood

Heavy Rain is a really great game, but, to be completely honest, the plot doesn't go much beyond the standard dramatic, thriller fair. 
    The presentation is excellent, and I hope people pursue the idea further, though.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Akeldama

Heavy Rain consumed me for the 2 days i was playing it. I was quantifiably sad during my playthrough. I found myself replaying my decisions in my head and thinking about what I could (or even should) have done differently. I felt genuinely responsible for the outcome of everything.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By get2sammyb

To be honest, I found the plot strangely touching. I don't think it goes further than movies or anything, but there's something to be said for being in control of your characters actions, and knowing the story is changing depending on what you do.

It does affect you and it makes you care.

DannyCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By DannyCool

Its not just the plot that feels "real" its the emotions in the characters which is showing so well. More then any other game i can remember.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Evilsbane

I am still in the process of playing it, 2.6 something inches of rain has fallen. And the game is awesome, I mean some of these set pieces are Insane and so so tense, I have never had QTEs put me on the edge of my seat, but these are so well done, all the stuff with Ethan is freaking Awesome so far.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

I could only bring myself to play through it once, i was quite satisfied and going through the different endings would just ruin the ending that i first got because it was my story and first experience.  After that then you know too much background information and it just doesn't play the same way.  I guess i'm the only one that feels this way because tons of people are playing it multiple times.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eccentrix
    @Marz: I have to play it again because I'm the kind of person who likes to think about how different actions affect different things. But I'm definitely not going to go back in the middle of a game and change anything I did.
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By dtat
    @get2sammyb said:

"To be honest, I found the plot strangely touching. I don't think it goes further than movies or anything, but there's something to be said for being in control of your characters actions, and knowing the story is changing depending on what you do.  It does affect you and it makes you care. "

This. Knowing that, to some extent, you caused what happens exponentially increases the impact.      

for example: I could not bring myself to kill that guy for the third challenge. If it were a movie, it would have been disturbing to see Ethan kill him, but having to force him to do it...I just couldn't.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EVO
    @DannyCool said:
    " i truly think this is a game which deserves a place in a video game hall of fame. No game ever has affected me in my real life. "
    Same here. I lost Jayden and I've been beating myself up about it ever since.  

@Marz said:
    " I could only bring myself to play through it once, i was quite satisfied and going through the different endings would just ruin the ending that i first got because it was my story and first experience.  After that then you know too much background information and it just doesn't play the same way.  I guess i'm the only one that feels this way because tons of people are playing it multiple times. "
    Yeah, I've been contemplating this and I've decided it's the sorta game you revisit every few years rather than platinum it and move on.
    eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By eccentrix
    @EVO said:
    I lost Jayden and I've been beating myself up about it ever since.  
    Me too. Right at the end, as well.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Yukoei
    @eccentrix said:
    " @EVO said:
    I lost Jayden and I've been beating myself up about it ever since.  
    Me too. Right at the end, as well. "

Was this a spoiler or can everyone in the game die?
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By emkeighcameron

You guys are all creeping me right the fuck out.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By shotaro

I think that the trials, which force you to make huge decisions in a short amount of time, were the most heart-pounding for me.  The first one I messed up towards the end and ended up in a bad situation, got out of it but still, my blood was pumping so fast I felt warm afterwards.

I think while the story is fairly predictable (barring the ending, I would've never guessed the killer was who it was, for a start they seemed to be too old.)  But the connection you form with Ethan in particular is something games will be trying to ape for some time, in most games, I want the character to win because thats the idea of the game.  But in this I wanted Ethan to win because the emotional connection you forge (especially if, like me, you play the entire game in one sitting) is far more significant than anything I've experienced in films or TV in a long time.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eccentrix
    @Yukoei: Any character can die at any point in the game.
    RedBullRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By RedBullRacer

It's a classic to me cos, some of the scenes just had me literally crying oh no with fear as I missed buttons cos I felt like I was gonna get killed. Also, I actually panicked on one occasion because of the situation and it resulted in someone dying, bloody brilliant...like you say, I panicked cos of what was happening on screen and so I ended up acting like the character! amazing, also, when your following that red balloon at the start and all them people are there, it's like a real crowded room and so frustrating not being able to reach the balloon...again, you felt like what the character would actually be feeling!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.