Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

One question about the ending. (SPOILERS)

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Quipido

So, I know there is like a billion plot holes in the story, but I want to ask very specific thing that happened in my ending, if anyone still remembers anything about this game:

When I got to the werehouse where Shaun was held untill a father capable of sacrificing everything would come, I (as Ethan) got there and talked to Shelby, who explains his motives... and then tells Ethan to go free his kid. Ethan turns around and Shelby raises his handgun, clearly in intention to shoot Ethan in the back - at this point Norman jumps on Shelby and saves the day...

I don't understand why Shelby, after so many tries when he finally finds a man capable of love he himself never recieved from his father... why would he kill him? Wasn't the whole point to make father nad son happy and appriciate each other?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

My best guess would be that he had to eliminate the witness. He found what he was looking for, doesn't mean that he wanted Ethan to live.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Rockdalf
    @Quipido: He's a killer, I don't think we're ever truly privileged to Scott Shelby's thoughts and never will be.  Perhaps his search for a father capable of truly loving his son was intentionally futile so that his father would not be an exception to the norm.  Maybe he saw himself as the final test to prove his worth as a father.  Maybe Shelby saw the whole thing falling on top of his head and was tying up the loose strings.  Regardless, I wouldn't necessarily qualify this as 'plot hole' despite the fact there is an abundance of other material that could easily fit that title.
    YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By YI_Orange

Yeah, that didn't make sense to me either. I just told myself "mentally unstable killer" and moved on. Also, it's Nahman.

sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sionweeks

It's a little bit stupid, but he obviously just doesn't want to go to jail, so killing him would make sense. He is a killer after all.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Quipido
    @nintendoeats: @Rockdalf: @YI_Orange: @sionweeks:
    Thanks for the opinions, it just struck me as very odd for some reason, when I realised what Shelby's motives were, I was thinking about it in the same way as the movie Phone Booth. Anyway, it was really great experince to  finally play this game, even if there were significant issues with the story.
    kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By kerse

So I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but I just finished it and isn't the reveal for Shelby just great? He's just sitting there burning stuff and at first I thought he was gonna go kill that copycat killer guy and wanted to erase all the evidence of Lauren being involved and then it gets to the picture and all that and its just like wait a minute. It got boring for me around the middle but that part there was so worth it.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By cornbredx
    @kerse: it would have been better if it made sense as there was no logical way it was Shelby other then contrivance. I suspect after you have a think about it you may agree, but I can only guess. 

The game's story is incredibly flawed but I still appreciate what they were trying to do.
    DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By DarthOrange

Scott Shelby got hungry and decided he would eat both Ethan and Shaun, but he would first have to kill them of course.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Hizang

I would agree YI_Orange, mentally unstable killer covers a lot of things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.