Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

Quick Thoughts on Heavy Rain Demo.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By MetalGearSunny

*Do not ask me how to get the Heavy Rain demo. Register at this site and solve the puzzle. You can easily look the answers up online. Make sure you have a EU PSN account.* 

You can play as this dude.
    I just got done playing the demo for Heavy Rain for the first time. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. My only complaint is the controls for the character. I mean come on, I'm a human being, not a fucking car. You need to hold down R2 to walk. If you just turn the along stick, the character moves their head. I think it should be the opposite. But everything else makes up for it. The game looks great, and I thought the VOs were good. My favorite part was the quick time events. Quick time events are normally annoying to me, but in Heavy Rain it keeps me at the edge of my seat. (I'm referring to the scene where you're beating up that one dude, for those who played the demo)   

The different dialog options make me want to go back and play to see what happens if I do something different. And that part where you have an asthma attack, and the guy enters the girls room. What happens if I just leave her?  

So...I'm going to play that demo again. It was a great taste of the game and I'm really interested in playing the full game now.  

/runs to his PS3 to play more Heavy Rain

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MetalGearSunny

*Do not ask me how to get the Heavy Rain demo. Register at this site and solve the puzzle. You can easily look the answers up online. Make sure you have a EU PSN account.* 

I just got done playing the demo for Heavy Rain for the first time. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. My only complaint is the controls for the character. I mean come on, I'm a human being, not a fucking car. You need to hold down R2 to walk. If you just turn the along stick, the character moves their head. I think it should be the opposite. But everything else makes up for it. The game looks great, and I thought the VOs were good. My favorite part was the quick time events. Quick time events are normally annoying to me, but in Heavy Rain it keeps me at the edge of my seat. (I'm referring to the scene where you're beating up that one dude, for those who played the demo)   

The different dialog options make me want to go back and play to see what happens if I do something different. And that part where you have an asthma attack, and the guy enters the girls room. What happens if I just leave her?  

So...I'm going to play that demo again. It was a great taste of the game and I'm really interested in playing the full game now.  

/runs to his PS3 to play more Heavy Rain

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Tireyo

Controlling a human like a car. Interesting. The human might be a robot, transformer, or something. =-P

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3  Edited By Geno

Same problem as in Indigo prophecy. Back button = 180, left/right buttons = rotate >.>

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

The movement is perfect in this once you get used to it, which shouldn't take very long.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By eclipsesis

I really liked the demo, which is no surprise. I thought the trailer at the end of it  got me excited for the final product.

NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NegativeCreep

You do get used to the movement controls.

I was really nervous about doing very specific motions with the control stick to not die, but it's really tight and responsive. I'm impressed, I really am.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By sjschmidt93

I didn't like the movement controls. 

I thought the detective shit was annoying, but the other part was great.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " I didn't like the movement controls.   I thought the detective shit was annoying, but the other part was great. "
    It wasn't really annoying to me. Just boring.
    upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By upwarDBound

The controls in Indigo prophecy were terrible as well, but that was still an outstanding game. The graphical detail and intriguing plot in Heavy Rain will likely nullify the control problem for me. 

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Akeldama

The quick time event in the whore's room was unbelievable. I was actually really engaged by it the entire time. Day one purchase for sure.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By DanielJW
    @Tireyo643 said:
    " Controlling a human like a car. Interesting. The human might be a robot, transformer, or something. =-P "
    You just uncovered the big reveal.
    stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By stonyman65

The demo was fun, but I agree that the controls are clunky as hell. It feels like an old tank sim to me.  I'm still trying to decide if it is worth the money. I want to play it for the story and gameplay but the controls are really killing it for me. The biggest problem that I have is that the analog sticks are to sensitive. I always seem to walk around in circles when I try to turn or walk straight.  and from what I've experienced, the actions are hit or miss with the sixaxis and the analog stuff.  

Maybe a rental?

v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By v

i liked the demo A LOT.  I thought that the "R2 to walk" was a little off-putting at first, and there were a few times when i stumbled up on it, and my dude just ended up looking around in a circle, but I think that as I play it more, it would become more second nature.  The QTE system that is used in the end of the first level of the demo was very well done, and if that is how other parts of the game are, I can't wait..

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By captain_clayman

what like resident evil style?

Avatar image for wallacethegreat
    WallacetheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By WallacetheGreat

I haven't been able to play the demo yet, but in some of the footage I've seen the voice acting sounds a bit sketchy, especially from the guy that you fight in the prostitute's room. Hearing French actors try to put on American accents is sort of off-putting to me, but other than that I'm still pretty excited for this game.  

Dynamitekyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Dynamitekyle

Just in case you haven't yet, you CAN leave the girl and not help her. Many extras in that demo I didn't know about.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dbz1995

The trailer was fantastic. Anybody else think that the character within the trailer who lost his son by drowning looks a bit like Russell Crowe, or is that just me? As long as they manage to develop the characters the way they did in Heavy Rain, I will purchase it.

I did not particularly love the detective part either-do not quote on this, but I believe you don't actually have to do it.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#18  Edited By c_rakestraw
    @DanielJW said:
    " @Tireyo643 said:
    " Controlling a human like a car. Interesting. The human might be a robot, transformer, or something. =-P "
    You just uncovered the big reveal. "
    So that's what the big twist is... never saw that one coming!
    CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CABBAGES

i thought the demo was great and i liked the controls even tho i will need to get used to them. 
    I think using the analog sticks like in other games would waste this game. 
    I pre orderd the special edition not long after playing the demo :D
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By JoelTGM

I just finished the demo, and I'm pretty blown away.  It was like a movie the way everything flowed.  I like how you have to control everything.  At first I was thinking, some of this could have just been a cutscene, but then I realized why they did it.  Right in the beginning when you're walking down an alleyway, and you have an asthma attack and use the inhaler, if that had been a cutscene I would have just sat back and not payed much attention, but because I had to do all the motions, I was totally focused and engrossed; it felt like a movie, only I was completely involved in it.  Can't wait to get into this game.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By m1k3
    @CL60 said:
    " The movement is perfect in this once you get used to it, which shouldn't take very long. "
     This is true. At first i was walking into walls, making 90 degree turns when i dont want to. but after a couple of minutes i got used to it.

What i didn't like about the demo is that i have no idea whats going on story wise. thats really my own complaint.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.