Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Horizon Zero Dawn

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2017

Explore a lush, post-apocalyptic world inhabited by robotic beasts while uncovering secrets of the past.

Noclips's new Horizon Zero Dawn documentary

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Danny is just killing it with these videos.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MattGiersoni

Watched it yesterday, as always fascinating stuff. Especially the prototypes. The story about the marketing team lying about the tech demo running in real time and Guerrilla not knowing anything about it was really weird. Still, I remember being impressed with Killzone 2's graphics when I played it near release. I really hope they will return to that other game about historical figures fighting monsters and such, seems like a cool concept, maybe after Horizon 2. I'm really glad Sony gives its first party a lot of freedom and room for creativity. They are not just constantly pumping out the same games over and over again and can actually do something else once in a while! I'm also really happy a lot of Sony's 1st and 2nd party output is singleplayer. Can't wait for what comes next, both from Guerrilla, Sony and Danny.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Some of that early concept art of Alloy is dope as fuck.

It's crazy to me to think that they shelved this because of Enslaved of all things (I understand why, obviously, but still), but then it gets dropped alongside Zelda, yet it's still a pretty big commercial and critical success.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I’m still shocked that Danny’s getting this concept-build footage from such big companies, so soon after release.

Best shit on youtube right now, always exciting to see his channel update.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Danny has been on a roll with the games he's been covering over the last few months, but after hearing about the gaming public at larges response/amazement at learning what view frustum culling is I kinda hope he makes one of his next docs about a company like Epic or Unity to give the public at large a better window into some of the tools and tricks developers use to optimize and get games running. Even just some of the tech they use to make assets is bonkers and fascinating. He could literally do a single doc on how level of detail streaming works and all the weird techniques used to handle it and would blow everyone's minds. It's often said that game development is a dark art or magic and this is never an exaggeration.

@babychoochoo: lol, yeah that was funny to hear. Hey let's not make this open world action role playing game just yet, then releases it in the same year as several open world action role playing games release at a time when a fatigue for open world games is setting in. Hopefully they learned from this that as long as they make a solid game and present it well that it doesn't matter what else is coming out.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Really awesome stuff. The journey from more generic military machines to dinosaur robots was fascinating and the choices made I lot of sense when you heard them talk about it.

I really hope Danny gets to do IO Interactive at some point. There's got to be a lot of crazy stories surrounding Hitman at this point and how they turned that ship around.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched Danny's earlier appraisal of Horizon, I'll check this out.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By frytup

I’m still shocked that Danny’s getting this concept-build footage from such big companies, so soon after release.

I don't think it's all that shocking. Nothing they're showing is going to hurt them competitively, and this is a great opportunity to market both the game and the Decima engine.

Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@dragon_puncher said:

I really hope Danny gets to do IO Interactive at some point. There's got to be a lot of crazy stories surrounding Hitman at this point and how they turned that ship around.

He's never gonna run out of games to interview people about. I'd love for him to take a look at the Nier Automata development, the failed Scalebound development, FromSoft's massive success with the Souls series last gen, Lab Zero's kickstarter journey through Skullgirls and Indivisible, Persona 5's iterative work through P3, P4 and Catherine, Capcom's disastrous launch and attempts to turn around SFV after the success that was SF4, Vanillaware's unique position as a studio of artists etc. Anything from Nintendo would be amazing, though they seem so closed off it must be hard to get the developers talking. And that's just the stuff I personally care about. Everyone's got their story. I don't care about the individual people behind a game so much, in like a celebrity kinda fashion, though some designers really do stand out. But I enjoy hearing about the effort and experiences that they used to create the games I like, and learning weird trivia about their processes.

Danny mentioned in the video that they're gonna talk more about spoiler stuff at a later date. I'm not sure if that means publishing specific concept art on the site or another video that talks more about the story, but I'm excited to see it.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MattGiersoni

@redhotchilimist I'm gonna go a bit off-topic, but it's still related. Topics for documentaries are endless, but have you taken a look at the GDC youtube channel? They have hundreds of talks and lectures by devs big and small talking about behind the scenes stuff, creation process, all kinds of things you mention. For example, you're curious about nintendo, and it's true they are very closed off, but surprisingly they actually gave a 1,5h presentation on their design process and overall creation of BoTW:

Loading Video...

There's tons and tons more of similar presentations and talks. Danny's documentaries are amazing, GDC has an amazing vault of knowledge, and more often than not, it's quite understandable, clear and really well presented, nothing like some crazy scientific conferences with insane formal language.Other notable stuff includes how Cuphead was animated, how Doom music was made and incorporated into the game, there's so much interesting and fascinating stuff on there, there's something for most games I search! Really recommend it!

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ATastySlurpee

This is great!

Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@mattgiersoni: I don't think I've ever watched an entire GDC panel because sitting through a power point presentation is a bit of a bore even when the subject matter is interesting. Iwata Asks, developer interviews or blogs in general, developers let's playing their own games, and these documentaries, that's more my speed.

Well, I'll try giving the Zelda one a go, because I'm really curious how they managed to make what they did.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Absolutely fascinating stuff. Kudos to Danny; this content is really well put together. I've always found development stories so interesting, and I'm really stoked to see Danny going on about this type of stuff. Will catch everything he puts out going forward. TY tc for posting.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I haven't watched it yet but will as soon as I have time. D.O.D is saying that the the doc doesn't contain any spoilers for those who care about that sort of thing.

Update: Watched the doc. Absolutely fantastic. I’ve enjoyed all of D.O.D’s videos but this is the first one under the noclip banner that is based on a game I actually care about.

I get why you're calling him D.O.D., but every time you do that I can't not think Department of Defence.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Great stuff as always, I kind of wish it didn't tip toe around with spoilers so much because the main fascinating decisions with Horizon's world are actually in the game so I would be more interested in them talking more about that stuff. Looking forward to those extended interviews.

Glad they also touched on the Killzone 2 teaser as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.