Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Horizon Zero Dawn

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2017

Explore a lush, post-apocalyptic world inhabited by robotic beasts while uncovering secrets of the past.

Thoughts on The Frozen Wilds DLC?

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I devoured this game when it first came out. I loved the setting, the story, the look, the giant robot fights, itvwas all very fun and awesome to play that I ended up Platinuming it.

Coming back to the game after so long and after Breath of the Wild is weird. The game still looks fantastic and I love the story and pieces of info you pull out of the wreckage to build up the world. The combat and gameplay hasn't been great to revisit. I keep hopping up rocks to get where I want to go like Skyrim instead of neatly climbing like Link. The new Beast Wars bots are almost unfairly hard. Compared to some of the old machines, they seem to have little to no downtime between attacks. Especially Scorchers since they can seamlessly chain into 3 claw attacks and a flame explosion without a second to counter. I say this because fighting multiple of the vanilla enemies is way easier than one of the new ones.

Also, I know it's called The Frozen Wilds, but man I'm tired of all the random snow storms making it almost impossible to see anything. One of HZD's greatest strengths is how good looking it is, so it feels like such a bummer to make 50% of the screen weather effects.

On the whole I love getting more Horizon, but it's just weird coming back to it after so long.

Avatar image for patmustardsurda
    patmustardsurda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By patmustardsurda

Totally agree about the snow beyond annoying at one point i went back to one of the old hunting grounds from the start of the full game to get blaze and it just made the snow seem even worse when i returned to the frozen wilds

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By stryker1121

Pretty much enjoying it, even if it's just "More HZD," though what else would you expect from a DLC, I guess.

Combat and movement are still great, though there's no point for me to try any new weapons as I'm so used to my bows and tripcaster. I did buy a sweet new outfit with bluegleam, however.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

This DLC wasn't a game changer by any means, but I thought it contained just a bunch of really good content. I enjoyed the writing and characters in these quests, both the main plot of the DLC and the side quests. I felt like there was a higher ratio of interesting stuff in the side content than there was in the main game. Even the quests classified as errands seemed more interesting and substantial than the errands in the main game. Of the side quests, "Waterlogged," "The Hunters Three," "The Survivor," and ""Frontier Justice" were standouts for me. Great writing and characters in those quests.

I also like how the main plot of Frozen Wilds, while being its own standalone story with well developed new characters, was still connected in a fairly meaningful way to the greater lore and could be indicating where the series goes in the future. I really liked learning about the old world in the main game, and there's some equally interesting stuff in here. Granted I did guess the purpose of Project Firebreak the second I realized that the DLC takes place at Yellowstone, but all the backstory stuff around the park and the project was still enjoyable.

In terms of gameplay, I appreciated the added challenge that the new machines provided. I like the boss fight nature of a lot of the bigger machines in the main game, but even playing on hard I had mastered them by the late game to the point where they were a breeze. Having new challenging machines to learn and master was a lot of fun, especially because their design encourages becoming familiar with and mastering the new weapons as well. Getting gold on the Chieftain's Hunter Challenge was challenging, but satisfying once I did it.

Overall, I'd say the DLC is very good. Yes, it is more Horizon, but Horizon is great and there's some good stuff in here. It's also pretty substantial in terms of the amount of content, it took me like 22 hours to 100% it, which is not bad at all considering I paid $15 for it as a Plus member.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was good. There were enough gameplay additions, neat sidequests and the story/characters where great. They also basically outline their plan for the sequel. A must buy for anyone who enjoyed Horizon throughout

GrizzlyButts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

More HZD is a good thing, although I would say a lot of it felt oddly out of place with the rest of the game's narrative. If I hadn't already scoured this game of all of it's secrets and narrative side-quests this might have had more impact as a random wandering discovery. But I felt the same about all Dark Souls 3 DLC as well, it is a nice excuse to fight new enemies and try new weapons even if that one set of armor still makes the game quite easy.

pnevares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#7  Edited By pnevares

I think it was a great reason to come back to this game. I hadn't gone all the way to platinum it when I originally played, so there was a lot to do in this world even without the DLC. Just finished the DLC campaign and found myself looking around for more fun things to do, but I think it was just long enough.

Edit: I also had to bump the difficulty down one notch, maybe I was just rusty from the months I was away but I was getting wrecked bad in the first couple of hours. It made the experience more fun (and was still kinda hard!).

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FANTASTIC

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.