Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hyperdimension Neptunia

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 25, 2011

A turn-based RPG for the PS3 by Compile Heart that has a Moe anthropomorphic representation of the Sega Neptune fighting alongside console-tans of the three major consoles against the evil Arfoire.

Seriously messed up DLC plan!

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By animateria
    Via Kotaku 

During my play through of role-playing game Hyperdimension Neptunia I am delighted to welcome a new character into my party, but the NIS America-inspired Nisa won't fight with me or gain experience. She just sits there, until I pay.

Nisa is one of two game developer-inspired characters (along with Gust) that join your party on a pay-to-play basis in Hyperdimension Neptunia, a role-playing collaboration by some of Japan's top RPG makers for the PlayStation 3. After running into the characters on several occasions, both eventually decide to join up, accompanied by one of every RPG fans' favorite phrases, "XXX has joined your party."

But they aren't actually joining. Sure, they're both listed in your party roster, but you can't do anything with them until you go to the PlayStation store and buy their activation packs for $1.99 apiece. Until then they sit in your start menu, not doing a damn thing.

I'm not knocking on the game itself since I haven't played it yet, and probably never will.  

But that type of nickel and dime DLC planning is too messed up to ignore. I hope this is the only game that ever does it to that extent. I'm actually worried that they might pull this shit on the next Disgaea game.  

I will not buy that Disgaea game if NIS pulls this kind of shit. 

[UPDATE] 

NISA has replied to Kotaku's inquiries about their DLC plan. 

Unlocking characters through DLC is nothing new to our games. The difference for this time is that the additional characters are already in the game. Having these characters already in the game will help players attach to the characters, and if the players would like to play the characters they have options to download the DLC to unlock them. 

Having these characters in the party is like a tease."  

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By buft

next generation Microsoft nickel and sony dimestation, this kind of crap is just the warm up act

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By Catolf

wow that is kinda messed up.. i was wondering what NISA actually did as well as Gust, but i'll have to pay to find out.. ;_;

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

This is not unusual for NISA releases.  Games like Disgaea 3 and Cross Edge have extensive nickel-and-dime DLC offerings ranging from item packs to characters to dungeons.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By ShadowKnight508
    @animateria:   They are also selling stat "Booster" packs for each character for $0.99 (grants 20 or so additional points to each character's main stats) as well. At least there was those free DLC packs that add new missions to the game and have rare items at the end of each of those quests.   
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Man, those Japanese are really learning well.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

Wow.  Fuck that game.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By animateria

NISA replied back to Kotaku.

"Unlocking characters through DLC is nothing new to our games. The difference for this time is that the additional characters are already in the game. Having these characters already in the game will help players attach to the characters, and if the players would like to play the characters they have options to download the DLC to unlock them.

It's not a tease making people pay for characters that are in the story. It's just fucking sleazy.

There's a difference between bonus DLC characters and characters already in game. 

It's like if Final Fantasy 13 let you see Fang do her stuff then put her in your party and then say. "Well you gotta pay to play Fang even though she's already in the party. She's only an additional character. Fuck you, we like money."  
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mutha3

Woowww

Wwwooooowowwww

that's fucking atrocious.

Like, 

holy shit

this....how do you even get away with....i don't...wow

@animateria said:

"

"Unlocking characters through DLC is nothing new to our games. The difference for this time is that the additional characters are already in the game. Having these characters already in the game will help players attach to the characters, and if the players would like to play the characters they have options to download the DLC to unlock them.

shut up NISA
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By beforet

That is fucked. This just furthers my commitment to buy the game used at cost.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#11  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

The sad thing is, this shit will only get worse as time goes on.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Driadon

Here's hoping that this is the only game that they make that tries this. Gotta let publishers and developers know that adding a 'tease' like that puts off sales, not makes them.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#13  Edited By metalsnakezero

It isn't too bad but only because the characters are useful. The additional stats are the problem here.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Dude that is just fucked up. DLC is alright when it's done well, but this is just ripoff.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By ryanwho

For the handful of weirdos who play this game, it makes sense to pepper out content like that. The idea is to get a small number of people to buy a lot of extra crap, not to get everyone to buy some of it. Fact is, people will pay for this.  Creepy people.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@ryanwho said:

For the handful of weirdos who play this game, it makes sense to pepper out content like that. The idea is to get a small number of people to buy a lot of extra crap, not to get everyone to buy some of it. Fact is, people will pay for this. Creepy people.

Kind of what I was thinking. Niche audiences will buy anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.