Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Icewind Dale

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 20, 2000

Though graphically and mechanically similar to Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale focuses less on story and more on lots of combat.

I play old games: Icewind Dale

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Edited By ArbitraryWater
     It may use the Baldur's Gate engine, but it's not Baldur's Gate.
    Yeah. Finally, right? Wrong. Technically, just like when I blogged Baldur's Gate, I have yet to actually finish Icewind Dale (then again, I never did technically beat Sarevok. Because that final battle is literally eons harder than anything else in the game and I didn't feel like playing the game for another dozen hours to get my party to the level cap). However, due to the... aggravating circumstances of where I am in the game right now, I've decided to blog about it now instead of doing the last 5 or so hours of the game at this moment, especially since I just received Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne in the mail and will probably play that for next blog thing. But whatever. Time for this blog thing. 

Icewind Dale is one of the 5 games made for the Infinity Engine (released in 2000, $10 on Good Old Games) and is perhaps the least visionary of all of them. It doesn't have the verbose dialog and unique setting of Planescape Torment, nor does it have the general adventurous feel of Baldur's Gate and its sequel, not to mention the length and depth that such adventures hold. It doesn't even have the benefit of a better ruleset like Icewind Dale 2 with its 3rd edition glitz. Nope. But what it does do, and what it does extremely well, is throw a ton of guys at your party and have you sort them out before everyone dies horrendously and you have to reload a save. There's not really much pretense of scenario or story like in BG, nor can you just kind of talk your way out of everything like in PST. There is evil. You must stop it. Go to dungeon. Kill everything. Get loot. Repeat.

Certainly, this somewhat constrained vision does mean that the game is pretty much all hack n slash, so if you are looking for a deep story or even something resembling what an actual D&D adventure might be like, this is not the game for you. However, I find that creating my own party and watching them advance from being level 1 pieces of paper to level 10 or so juggernauts of death and doom is quite satisfying (It helps that the game is flexible on what party you want to create. Even bards are good, though Charisma is even more of a dump stat). It also helps that there is very little filler. Generally speaking, most of that game is fighting, or moving towards the next fight. No real turning in quests or exploring the wilderness. Just fighting. And maybe looting, and maybe disarming traps. As most of us probably know, the Infinity Engine had pretty good combat (understatement), and making a game focused around that combat works. But I feel like I'm repeating myself. The combat is pretty good, alright? Cast fireball, move in your dudes, etc etc.

IWD also has some of the best pre-rendered backgrounds of all the Infinity Engine games, with some really strong art design. So when you're not looking at dudes to kill, you can at least admire the quality and detail of whatever ice area you happen to be in (which, still looks quite good at 1920x1080). The music is pretty good, as the composer guy ( Jeremy Soule) is the same dude who went on to do Morrowind and Oblivion. Nonetheless, not a very music intensive game. 

The expansion is kind of weak, but the mini expansion is openly terrible
    However, if I may, I might now explain some of my grievances with that game. While the under the hood tweaks of the Heart of Winter expansion are pretty good (basically making Bards useful, adding some more spells, screwing over evil clerics, etch etc), what I played of it (more on that later) was kind of weak and not anywhere as good as the base game. In addition, the way it's included in the main game itself is quite awkward, basically requiring you to stop going through the last set of dungeons (because it's restricted based on character level) and go back to the main town (which is what I did). However, my larger beef has to be with the Trials of the Luremaster mini-expansion that was included in the game's final patch. Whereas the rest of IWD is fairly straightforward, Luremaster is a tedious slog, throwing enemies with high HP and armor class at you, but also throwing super overpowered equipment that is way better than almost anything else in the game (which, along with all the experience it gives you, I'm sure will make my journey through the rest of the game a cakewalk). Then, a few inane puzzles, a few cheap enemies with insta-death spells, and the fact that you can't leave it once it has started makes me hate it so much and is why I am blogging about this game now instead of finishing it. Just take my word for it, ok? 

Despite that horribleness however, I still think that Icewind Dale deserves its spot as the #3 on my best games of 2010 that didn't come out in 2010 list. Even though I'm finishing it in 2011. A minor technicality. But be assured. I will finish it.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    Yeah. Finally, right? Wrong. Technically, just like when I blogged Baldur's Gate, I have yet to actually finish Icewind Dale (then again, I never did technically beat Sarevok. Because that final battle is literally eons harder than anything else in the game and I didn't feel like playing the game for another dozen hours to get my party to the level cap). However, due to the... aggravating circumstances of where I am in the game right now, I've decided to blog about it now instead of doing the last 5 or so hours of the game at this moment, especially since I just received Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne in the mail and will probably play that for next blog thing. But whatever. Time for this blog thing. 

Icewind Dale is one of the 5 games made for the Infinity Engine (released in 2000, $10 on Good Old Games) and is perhaps the least visionary of all of them. It doesn't have the verbose dialog and unique setting of Planescape Torment, nor does it have the general adventurous feel of Baldur's Gate and its sequel, not to mention the length and depth that such adventures hold. It doesn't even have the benefit of a better ruleset like Icewind Dale 2 with its 3rd edition glitz. Nope. But what it does do, and what it does extremely well, is throw a ton of guys at your party and have you sort them out before everyone dies horrendously and you have to reload a save. There's not really much pretense of scenario or story like in BG, nor can you just kind of talk your way out of everything like in PST. There is evil. You must stop it. Go to dungeon. Kill everything. Get loot. Repeat.

Certainly, this somewhat constrained vision does mean that the game is pretty much all hack n slash, so if you are looking for a deep story or even something resembling what an actual D&D adventure might be like, this is not the game for you. However, I find that creating my own party and watching them advance from being level 1 pieces of paper to level 10 or so juggernauts of death and doom is quite satisfying (It helps that the game is flexible on what party you want to create. Even bards are good, though Charisma is even more of a dump stat). It also helps that there is very little filler. Generally speaking, most of that game is fighting, or moving towards the next fight. No real turning in quests or exploring the wilderness. Just fighting. And maybe looting, and maybe disarming traps. As most of us probably know, the Infinity Engine had pretty good combat (understatement), and making a game focused around that combat works. But I feel like I'm repeating myself. The combat is pretty good, alright? Cast fireball, move in your dudes, etc etc.

IWD also has some of the best pre-rendered backgrounds of all the Infinity Engine games, with some really strong art design. So when you're not looking at dudes to kill, you can at least admire the quality and detail of whatever ice area you happen to be in (which, still looks quite good at 1920x1080). The music is pretty good, as the composer guy ( Jeremy Soule) is the same dude who went on to do Morrowind and Oblivion. Nonetheless, not a very music intensive game. 

However, if I may, I might now explain some of my grievances with that game. While the under the hood tweaks of the Heart of Winter expansion are pretty good (basically making Bards useful, adding some more spells, screwing over evil clerics, etch etc), what I played of it (more on that later) was kind of weak and not anywhere as good as the base game. In addition, the way it's included in the main game itself is quite awkward, basically requiring you to stop going through the last set of dungeons (because it's restricted based on character level) and go back to the main town (which is what I did). However, my larger beef has to be with the Trials of the Luremaster mini-expansion that was included in the game's final patch. Whereas the rest of IWD is fairly straightforward, Luremaster is a tedious slog, throwing enemies with high HP and armor class at you, but also throwing super overpowered equipment that is way better than almost anything else in the game (which, along with all the experience it gives you, I'm sure will make my journey through the rest of the game a cakewalk). Then, a few inane puzzles, a few cheap enemies with insta-death spells, and the fact that you can't leave it once it has started makes me hate it so much and is why I am blogging about this game now instead of finishing it. Just take my word for it, ok? 

Despite that horribleness however, I still think that Icewind Dale deserves its spot as the #3 on my best games of 2010 that didn't come out in 2010 list. Even though I'm finishing it in 2011. A minor technicality. But be assured. I will finish it.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

Icewind Dale was the only Infinity Engine D&D game I ever played.  Also, I sucked incredibly at it.  I remember the furthest I ever got was with a party that didn't have any mages in it, mainly because any time I did have a mage in my party, he would inevitably die a horrible and early death.  Things went great until I encountered an enemy that seemed invulnerable to physical damage, however, at which point I was just kinda sunk.

That game was hard.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Yeah, Icewind Dale is pretty hard. I've only just started and I keep getting my ass kicked by an ogre in the first dungeon. But I'm determined to finish it, especially since I plan on playing Icewind Dale II later on.

By the way, Nocturne is one of my favorite RPG's on the Playstation 2. It's pretty much just a big dungeon crawler, but it's worth playing for the dark themes and atmosphere alone.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#4  Edited By Mento  Moderator  Online

Icewind Dale was fun, but coming off Baldur's Gate it seemed incredibly linear. It does sort of work as an introduction to the IE games as a whole due to its shortness and simple structure, except it also happens to be incredibly tough on beginners. Hmm.

I'm slightly amused at the notion that you'll stop Icewind Dale because of its difficult last few hours to move onto SMT: Nocturne; a game so malevolently unforgiving you'd think Lucifer created it, possibly to gauge our reaction to a demon apocalypse. And after the Matador, Thor and Dante boss fights I was kind of wishing for one.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By kalmis

I remember quite lot of Icewind Dale but don't think I ever finished it. Will need to do that one day still. I assume getting it running so high-res is GOG's doing?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hailinel
    @Mento said:
    " Icewind Dale was fun, but coming off Baldur's Gate it seemed incredibly linear. It does sort of work as an introduction to the IE games as a whole due to its shortness and simple structure, except it also happens to be incredibly tough on beginners. Hmm.  I'm slightly amused at the notion that you'll stop Icewind Dale because of its difficult last few hours to move onto SMT: Nocturne; a game so malevolently unforgiving you'd think Lucifer created it, possibly to gauge our reaction to a demon apocalypse. And after the Matador, Thor and Dante boss fights I was kind of wishing for one. "
    After hearing so much about the Matador, I seem to recall screaming in horror when I encountered him.  Amazingly enough, I actually beat him on my first try, though he was really nothing compared to Dante and Thor.  Oh, man.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Hailinel:  It's hard. That is very much so. Basically, the way I play it involves liberal use of quicksaving (Q). But, like all D&D games, it actually becomes more manageable the longer you play. Probably not the best first Infinity Engine game. Maybe Planescape would be more your fancy? If you are always fighting in that game, you're missing out on what makes it good. 

@Mento: I totally beat the Matador on my second try. Of course, I grinded like crazy to get to a level where I could fuse a demon immune to wind. Still have yet to encounter Thor or Dante, so that should be... fun? 

@kalmis: Nope, regular fan Hi Res patch.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b047a335a3c2
    deactivated-5b047a335a3c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm currently making my way through severed hand, like the third or fourth dungeon. It's a verrry hard game. I really want to beat it so I can go play IWD2, which seems to be the better of the two, even though the first is pretty good. I really liked both baldur's gate games more though because of the story.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#9  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Luremaster's no-escape aspect is why I never got around to doing that. I never actually beat the game, either. I got far enough that I either learned there was some obscure puzzle element I needed to figure out, or I just wanted to take a break and never got back to it. Icewind Dale 2 I regret not returning to. 

Icewind Dale 1 I just sort of remember. I LOVED stomping guys with my custom party. Loved making the party, loved watching them grow and get brutal. But there was a part that I completely bypassed by using a single character with a very high stealth rating. THE WHOLE BOARD was basically skipped. It was so meant for battle that it wasn't ready for me to treat it like an actual multi-solution RPG.  Either that I was screwing myself by not sopping up the experience.

I was originally reluctant to hit ID2 because I try to stick to sequel order, but I'm so glad I eventually gave up and started 2. It may not be what a lot of people want when they look for an RPG, but ID2 satisfied me a great deal. It's something I will pick up again soon. And the nice thing is, I won't have to worry a whole hell of a lot about what I need to do next. There ARE some benefits to straightforward games after all      *narrows eyes at Elder Scrolls 2 and 3 journal system*

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#10  Edited By Mento  Moderator  Online

If I recall, Dante was added to newer versions of the Japanese game (and the one that eventually got translated) to drum up crossover appeal and he fights the main character (ostensibly a demon) at a few points in the story. Unfortunately his first battle, which he's overpowered for, was directly placed after the battle with Thor which is also an incredibly hard lightning-based boss that follows several smaller bosses in an arena tournament type deal.

The Matador isn't too much of a problem if you're prepared for him, but like Shadow Yukiko he's sort of a wake-up call boss for people who are foolishly trying to play a SMT game like a regular JRPG instead of a "spend hours in fusion screens and grinding to make a very specific group that can survive this boss's attacks" JRPG. So in that sense he's usually the reason a lot of people stopped playing Nocturne.  I think I just gave up after I realized the whole game would be Matador and Thor boss fights.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Tordah
    @Hailinel said:
    " Things went great until I encountered an enemy that seemed invulnerable to physical damage, however, at which point I was just kinda sunk.  That game was hard. "
    That's pretty much what happened to me. Twice. I don't know when I'll give the game a third shot. I'm sure it will get better once you actually start kicking ass, but the beginning is really rough.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @ahoodedfigure: Yeah, it's not the best Infinity Engine game, but I think its straightforward nature actually makes me want to play it more than Baldur's Gate, which I had to force myself to play at times. Your party is never really under leveled for anything, and so you don't have to go out of your way to find sidequests in order to maintain competence. If anything, Trials of the Luremaster really makes me want to hurry up and finish the rest of the game so I can just start with 2 and deal with all the obnoxious intricacies that that rulset offers. You have no idea how tempted I am to make a deep gnome rouge.

@Mento: I was actually surprised that I got a pre-reprint copy (As atlus made another batch within the last year or so due to fan demand), as I was expecting Raidou Kuzunoha instead of Dante. Nonetheless, I beat Persona 3 and the battle system from that is just a modified version of this one. I feel... vaguely... confident. If only because I paid $34 for it and I don't especially like wasting that much money on a game I can't finish (still have that copy of Final Fantasy Tactics that I played for around an hour though... And that cost me $20). 

@Tordah: Maybe I'm some sort of super whiz, but I don't think any one part of IWD really held me up besides where I am right now. There is that snake lady that can only be damaged by +3 weapons or higher (to which I just used +2 arrows and a magic bow), so that might be a stumbling block. Also, I think that multi or dual classing almost everyone with Fighter helps a lot in the early goings.
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Aronman789

Keep up the good work, I want to know what these games are like, but isometric view makes my eyes puke.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Somewhere, somehow, Snide just raised his fist in recognition of this great blog.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Aronman789:  That's perhaps understandable. There are games that I find absolutely unplayable that I still want to be informed about. I guess the closest modern analog to these games would be Dragon Age, but Neverwinter Nights 2 isn't a slouch either as far as D&D games are concerned. They're both on steam.

@Sweep: If I recall correctly, the man has said that he likes IWD and its sequel an awful lot, and considering his recent diatribe about how RPGs are now for children, I'm sure he is.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By endaround

A lot of things done with IWD were done to circumvent the easy ways to spam victories in BG.  So distances were compacted so bows aren't the overpowering force they are in BG.  You also have a lot more creatures that need magic weapons to hit meaning the summon creature and animate dead spells aren't quite as powerful (though they still are very powerful). 

You also have the environments set up in such a way to make it hard to kill enemies.  I still remember the undead elves behind barricades shooting arrows at my party while I have to fin a way to get back there so they don't shread my mage.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hailinel
    @ArbitraryWater:  You might think you're confident, but Nocturne's difficulty is a vastly different beast than Persona 3 and 4.  Those games are actually fairly easy, even on their normal difficulty settings, compared to the Normal mode of Nocturne.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Hailinel: I just trounced Thor and Dante on my second attempts at both. It seems to me that the solution to success is basically always being prepared in advance, and then overgrinding just to make sure. Nonetheless, it's certainly a lot harder than Persona 3 was although having direct control kind of compensates. No random Marin Karins from Mitsuru in this game, although if Thor casts Mazionga twice in a row you are kind of dead.

@endaround: That's a pretty good mechanical reason for why the combat in IWD is so satisfying. Because you can't rely on a lot of the cheap tactics that can be used for a lot of BG.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hailinel
    @ArbitraryWater:  If you want to really challenge yourself, go for the true demon ending.  Trust me.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Hailinel said:
    " @ArbitraryWater:  If you want to really challenge yourself, go for the true demon ending.  Trust me. "
    Considering everything I have heard about the Labyrinth of Amala being super tedious, as well as the Lucifer fight screwing you over if you don't have a certain skill, I'm still contemplating whether or not to go through with all the optional boss fights and the optional dungeon just so I can get Dante in my party and fight another boss. We'll see soon enough.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.