Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous: Second Son

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 21, 2014

Set seven years after the events of inFamous 2, Second Son stars a new protagonist, Delsin Rowe, who fights back against government oppression and must face off with his own brother in the process. It takes place in the city of Seattle, Washington, the first real location used in the series.

Do you switch Powers? (Spoilers!)

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cleric22

Got the game yesterday, and I'm powering through the story mode. I'm doing this mainly so I can do most of the side missions as an awesome Superhero.

I wanted to ask guys, do you switch powers often? I mean you have to from time to time, but I find myself mainly sticking with Neon. I have the first 3 powers, Smoke, Neon and Video. I guess it might depend on the play style, but since I got the longer run for Neon it makes getting around a lot easier, but beside the faster rate of fire for video powers I don't switch on the fly a lot. Do you guys?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As soon as I got Neon I left Smoke behind. Being able to run up buildings super fast is one of the many reasons why it's my favourite power. Didn't touch Video after getting all the new moves for it. It's kinda lame to be honest. I wish there was a way to switch powers instantly since I much prefer Smoke's shooting better than Neon's but I'll sacrifice it for better mobility and general awesomeness.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really like smoke, particularly with my evil play through. I've found myself using it more on that than anything else. I've barely used Neon at all with evil except when required. Although neon is still the fastest method to get around, with evil karma you get a height boost coming out of vents which helps you get around a bit easier.

On my good play through I'd vary it up. When you get to the end game or whenever you clear the city of the DUP they set up raids every so often, which seem to have more dudes at them than normal, so you can find yourself running low on your current power and it's fun to mix it up.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

I do find myself switching powers more after finishing the main story. Most times I'll go in using video or neon and just burn through the heavy shot abilities, then siphon concrete from the downed troops to finish things off.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll use whatever power source is more readily available, I'm adaptable like that.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Nodima

Yea, my main concern with the power sources during combat in inFamous games, even when it was just electricity has always been about health as much as abilities. I don't fret too much over which powers I'm getting when I hit a heal point in Second Son so much as whether I'll be able to get enough juice to be fully healed and powered before someone shoots me again.

When it came to straight traversal I was a pretty consistent mix of Neon and Video. Neon seems way more convenient at first but Video puts you up walls automatically the same way and as long you can make your distance in two shots you don't lose nearly as much verticality as Neon or Concrete, making it a good mix of Smoke and Neon.

Also, if you play the game with good headphones all of the video powers sound fucking DOPE.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did 2 playthroughs and both times used the newest power I had almost exclusively until I was forced to switch for a mission. I don't think I touched concrete at all because I 100% the game before the end. Also I didn't like concrete very much anyways.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By phantomzxro

I would say i mixed them up to whatever was able. Each power kind of has it's perks about them. For traveling i would stick to neon or video, both were pretty easy to move around once you upgraded the movement abilities.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Steadying

Neon seems to be by far the best power in the game so I just used that. If Video had an upgrade that allowed for unlimited gliding time, then I would have probably stuck with that.

Concrete is just down right bad if you ask me

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cleric22

@steadyingmeat: Damn I was hoping for unlimited glide. How could they miss that? I think Video has the best shooting, Neon the best maneuverability for getting around long distance and smoke has the short distance down pretty well. Really wish you could change up on the fly and just stock pile energy For melee I think Neon has the best, because, well, laser swords.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I exclusively used smoke unless forced to do otherwise. It isn't the best for traversal, but I don't like combat with any of the other powers.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@cleric22 said:

@steadyingmeat: Damn I was hoping for unlimited glide. How could they miss that? I think Video has the best shooting, Neon the best maneuverability for getting around long distance and smoke has the short distance down pretty well. Really wish you could change up on the fly and just stock pile energy For melee I think Neon has the best, because, well, laser swords.

With fully upgraded video you definitely have the capability to cover more ground in a short burst than neon (if you're on the rooftops), but neon is more consistent and less situational.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually was constantly switching powers. I would say that I prefer smoke and neon to video but I still use video quite often. The stealth is kind of overpowered if you're doing a hero playthrough though not as interesting as it could be. Neon is obviously best for covering large distances but I also think it has the best karma bomb and trapping dudes in bubbles is fun too. Smoke has the best granade power and despite the fact that the smoke dash traversal is slower than the options for neon or video I really like the feel of it.

Concrete just sucks.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By awesomeusername

I mix it up a lot when fighting. I mostly use neon to get around and if I see a DUP truck, I blow it up with a neon missile. Then pick off the stragglers but I'll probably switch to smoke if there's like 3-4 of them. Don't use video much but I do like it. Just never feel like climbing up a building to have to absorb that energy.

But if I find an area the DUP has raided, I'll switch between all powers.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is funny coming to this 4 months after. Having just beat the game I found that I almost never used Neon, preferring Smoke and Video to it. The powers all feel very similar, but the subtle differences mean that people will definitely have a favorite. I think that's neat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.