Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iPad

Platform »

The iPad is a series of touch-screen tablet devices developed by Apple. The iPad can browse the web, playback local and streamed content, and run a large variety of third party apps, including games.

Why must I drag on touch screens?

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Edited By GozerTC

Okay so touch screens are here to stay.  I'm fine with that and in fact I enjoy being able to touch my UI to activate things.  We're all good so far.  My biggest complaint is:

WHY MUST I DRAG?!  

Honestly, dragging?  Isn't it bad enough you're forcing me to touch my display you now want me to smear it to do things?   

Think about it, on your computer how much do you click and drag?  Now think about how much you don't need to if you don't want to.  (I.e. instead of clicking and dragging to copy something you just CTRL+C or what not?)   Why must I drag to do something that is just as easily done by selecting and selecting?  ESPECIALLY on something like an iPad where the entire bloody device becomes a giant smear with all the click and drag?  

Also if you're going to do a D-pad on a touch interface couldn't it be a DIGITAL pad and not an analogue?  Because an analgoue stick just doesn't work too well because of dragging on the touch surface.  Why not a tap pad?  You still get the "controler" analogue without having to have a crappy analogue experience.   

I know they can try and make these work out bettter but so far I have yet to enjoy a single drag experience or not see it done better by a simple select and select interface.  (COme on in Tower Defense games why must I click and drag from a menu?!?  Seriously?  Even your MOUSE BASED version of the game doesn't require that!  I'm looking at you Plants vs Zombies! )

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By GozerTC

Okay so touch screens are here to stay.  I'm fine with that and in fact I enjoy being able to touch my UI to activate things.  We're all good so far.  My biggest complaint is:

WHY MUST I DRAG?!  

Honestly, dragging?  Isn't it bad enough you're forcing me to touch my display you now want me to smear it to do things?   

Think about it, on your computer how much do you click and drag?  Now think about how much you don't need to if you don't want to.  (I.e. instead of clicking and dragging to copy something you just CTRL+C or what not?)   Why must I drag to do something that is just as easily done by selecting and selecting?  ESPECIALLY on something like an iPad where the entire bloody device becomes a giant smear with all the click and drag?  

Also if you're going to do a D-pad on a touch interface couldn't it be a DIGITAL pad and not an analogue?  Because an analgoue stick just doesn't work too well because of dragging on the touch surface.  Why not a tap pad?  You still get the "controler" analogue without having to have a crappy analogue experience.   

I know they can try and make these work out bettter but so far I have yet to enjoy a single drag experience or not see it done better by a simple select and select interface.  (COme on in Tower Defense games why must I click and drag from a menu?!?  Seriously?  Even your MOUSE BASED version of the game doesn't require that!  I'm looking at you Plants vs Zombies! )

NuclearWinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By NuclearWinter  Moderator

Hm, you don't need to drag and drop in Plants vs Zombies on iPhone. You can just tap on a plant to select and then tap where you want to place it. 

Having said that, I've never had any problem with dragging on my iPhone. It feels like a pretty natural gesture to me. None of the smears are visible to me when the device is turned on and with the oleophobic coated screens they vanish completely with a quick wipe.

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GozerTC

Hehe well what's the "Greasy Scale" so I can tell you how greasy they are? 

Don't get me wrong I agree they don't show up while the screen is on and you're playing but ther're still there.  Blame the OCD in me but I just have to clean the bugger every so many minutes due to the build up. 

Ah Plants Vs Zombies allows tap and tap?  Cool maybe I'll buy it for my iPad then since the early videos and reviews I saw all showed dragging which is a big turn off for me. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.