Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iPhone

Platform »

The iPhone is a multimedia multi-touch smartphone created by Apple Inc.

Why do people get so upset with in app purchases?

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By yoshimitz707

I'm just looking through the reviews for apps like infinity blade or angry birds and all I see is people giving 1 star ratings for things you don't even need to buy. They let you buy money in infinity blad which isn't even an issue in the game because it's so easy to come by. And in angry birds they added a giant eagle you can buy for a dollar that lets you skip levels but once again it doesn't affect anyone who doesn't buy it and the game is exactly the same before they just added a non essential thing you can buy. Yet all these people do is complain about how in app purchases are "ruining" the game when it doesn't actually change anything.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By the_hiro_abides

My guess is that some people hate reminders to free to play models or some piece of content locked away by extra money. It doesn't matter that this $1 doesn't do anything important. It just sitting there is a splinter in the mind's eye.  

I don't really know, but it is annoying to see.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By rjayb89  Online

Some people are fucking idiots when they say oh, it wasn't the Mario game that I thought it was going to be then 1-star it because it wasn't what they expected it to be and because they didn't read the description.  Then reviews on something like the Flashlight app people are like wtf, it's just a blank screen then 1-star even though it does exactly what it was supposed to do.  I try to avoid them at all costs but I always look into them to get a general opinion of an app and end up just wondering why I went into it in the first place once I start reading some stupid comments.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ArchScabby

Because it's usually stuff, both those games are examples, of things that are basically cheats to beat the game for you, when if you just played for long enough you would accomplish what you were trying to do anyway.  It's pay money because you're lazy.

Domeuhlome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Domeuhlome

It's honestly because people are ignorant.

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ChristianCastillo

The itunes store is pretty weird in how people rate apps.  I've seen people give games 1 star and say its the greatest game they've played.

GioSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By GioSpy

People just naturally hate DLC for games that they've already paid full price for. Simple.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By JJWeatherman

The same issues comes up from time to time on the android markeplace. Doesn't seem so common though. 

I hate it when people give an app one star and comment on how they'll come back and change their rating if the stupid issue they had with it is fixed. It's almost like blackmailing the devs, but in the most retarded and ineffective way possible.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By 02sfraser

Most people treat the 5-star system very much in the same way as like/hate. 5-stars if they like is and only 1-star if they don't, which is why youtube has changed to a like/dislike system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.