Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iRacing

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Aug 26, 2008

iRacing.com is an online simulation racing game for the PC featuring numerous licensed cars and tracks.

The Giant Bomb Racing League

This topic is locked from further discussion.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Great time! So... here's how not to start the race...

No Caption Provided

I'm in the red/black/white caddy. I thought it was a rolling start and was in neutral at the start. Doh.

But here's how to finish. :P

No Caption Provided

And even though this is a super blurry picture I took while racing at this figure-8, probably not the best idea, between the fog and the windshield build-up this is pretty accurate to what I could see out the windshield.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@datarez: I'm going to make a livery for everyone with a huge "PLEASE DO NOT REAR END ME, SAMURAI" picture on it.

samuraigarrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MikBe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm gunna race the MX-5 just for fun.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another fun race all. Thanks for the race! Also I found the uphill is called the Rahal straight and everyone was right the first big turn is called the Andretti hairpin.

Here's to the great start, into the Andretti hairpin!

No Caption Provided

Then me inheriting the lead on lap 2. :P

No Caption Provided

psychrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#406  Edited By psychrage

That was a lot of fun. I need to practice practice practice though.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#407  Edited By slowbird

Stupid me, trying to win it on the first lap :P

But it was a fun race charging through the field and racing with PsEG.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This week, I'm going to have more than two hours of practice, and not make any changes to my setup. I had an awful time adapting to the clutch AND the shifter, adding to my already haphazard driving and the rat fucking bastard turn that is turn 6. I couldn't take that goddamn turn twice in a row without spinning out, and I didn't want to take the chance that I'd ruin someone's race, so I bailed. I'm much more comfortable with Summit Park, and now that I know how to take the final turn better than last time after watching @pseg's recap, I should hopefully be more competitive this time.

And as always, my offer stands - 16 people finish the race (15 + me) and someone wins...A BRAND NEW* CAR!

*An iRacing car, I'm not made of money. Oh and hey, speaking of - does @slowbird or anyone have a copy of last time's race replay? I'd like to look at some of the top guys' laps this week.

Edit: Never mind, I'm a moron. This week is the Jefferson course, which I've never run. Looks like practice is needed!

midnight_cook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#409  Edited By midnight_cook

Staggeringly, my first calamitous Formula Duder performance was not my worst race. I suppose I shouldn't be too discouraged as it was my sixth race ever with the iRacing service and I foolhardily decided to run the Skippy which until free practice I hadn't even turned the wheel with. And ran it on the standard settings.

Apologies to all I might have impacted by my ham fisted first race, in particular @iron1c who i believe was running in first until i vivisected his nose off during a pirouette'ing session at turn 9.

Despite my dead, dead, dead last finish and collection of blue (and black) flags I had fun! If you're reading this forum wondering if you should give iRacing and the GB racing league a try - do it!

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@midnight_cook: No worries, man. We're all retarded. The thing that sets us apart from your normal window lickers, however, is that we don't give up, no matter how bad we are at something!

midnight_cook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411  Edited By midnight_cook

@skullcrushermountain: Thanks. It didn't help that I participated in a Mazda Cup official race at Okayama beforehand and had a guy literally going for me in the warmup then the race. Ruined a possible mid pack finish when I was starting from the back. I've lodged a protest though after splicing together the replay and hopefully he gets what's coming to him and I get some safety rating back.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@midnight_cook: Unfortunately, you don't get SR back. The offender just gets a warning/punishment is all :(

Athadren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New here, but definitely interested!

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@athadren: Welcome! Let us know if you have any questions.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whee. That track is FUN. That's the perfect Skippy track, I think. Short, challenging, and just a blast to drive. Spent a couple hours and my best times were mid 55 seconds, averaging low 56s. I have a feeling the regularly fast guys will run somewhere around 54 flat. Turn 5 is going to be a bastard for me, I know, I need to REALLY practice it more. Hope lots of people show up this week, it should be a super fun time.

racer0940

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if I'll be able to make many races due to my current league, but if it's anything like the Forza crew, this should be a bast.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417  Edited By IroN1c

Hope lots of people show up this week, it should be a super fun time.

The race is at 2AM on Sunday in my timezone and I'm moving this week but FUCK IT! I'll be there if nothing goes horribly wrong and I plan on losing my car on Lap 1 once again!

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iron1c: I hope so! Could just practice a lot this week, and get an extra 30 minutes of sleep or so. Show up just before practice ends. OR, the obviously better idea, is to just drink a lot and stay up for it.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419  Edited By IroN1c

@skullcrushermountain: Well, I'm still moving and I won't get everything set up before Saturday, so no practice before the actual practice session for me! :D

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jefferson regular for this Saturday right?

I did a few laps and got down to a 54.182, that's super close to my optimal so I'm not sure how much I'd eek out. It's up on iSpeed if you want to compare. It's such a quick lap that one bobble and you've lost a good time for the lap. I do like these tiny track for the skippy though.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@datarez: So, question. I was doing 2nd gear for every turn, except the last one I take in 1st or 2nd, depending on how much I track out. But I wasn't sure if turn 5 should be 3rd or drop down to 2nd, mostly due to how off balance I seem to be & prone to spinning out. That sound right?

Also, any chance you could upload a replay for us all to digest? It always helps me when I can see the braking points in slow motion from a first person view :)

I'm probably going to put up an open practice session later tonight, around 5 or 6 PM MST if anyone wants to join.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422  Edited By datarez
    No Caption Provided

@skullcrushermountain Turns 1 and 4 I'm down to 1st gear and turns 5 and 7 I'm in 2nd gear. I didn't save a replay file this time but I'll do a few more laps and save a good one for you.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@datarez: OK, I'd experimented with being in 1st gear in pretty much all corners, but that just seemed WAY too slow. But I think again, that's part of my problem, especially in the Skippy. I just feel like I'm standing still at 50 mph :)

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullcrushermountain: That's where the live delta times you can see by hitting tab can tell you for sure when you try things to see if it's really slower or faster. I usually have it comparing to my best all-time lap. I only use it in practice though. I find it distracting during qualifying, time trials or the race.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@datarez:

Yeah, I use that a lot, but when you spin out more than you don't, it kind of doesn't help much. :)

Ok, did a bit more practice and now my best is 55.004. But an OPT of 50.5 something. LOLWHUT?

samuraigarrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, this happened. Those Skippys man, I tell ya... (Sorry for the long post. I hope PsEG doesn't kill me!)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Hey, pit guys! I... think you missed something there.
    Hey, pit guys! I... think you missed something there.

Funny thing is, I couldn't see that wheel from inside my car, so it took me a while to figure out that it was probably a bug that bit me. Oh well, still had fun and I moved up to 3rd in the standings, so I can't complain too much, I suppose.

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Here's my favorite moment of the race (that I witnessed). What happens when you throw 4 cars into the intersection at the same time? Nothing good, that's what.

No Caption Provided

I'd post an image of the aftermath but it's a little too graphic for this website.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

samuraigarrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429  Edited By samuraigarrin
    IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#430  Edited By IroN1c

This week's track is the worst.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was my first road race ever tonight, I suppose it could have been worse. Spin twice early (first one was a strange/unexpected spin into the final turn). Let me know if I gave enough room when I was letting you guys pass, so I can do a better job next time (though hopefully I'll be quicker and wont see as many blue flags). I'll also setup a mic soon too.

Thanks again guys, that was fun.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mouse: You did great man, good racing with you. I think you gave us too much room to pass, really. :) I noticed you slowed WAY down when I came up on you, no reason to do that. Just run your line, it's up to the faster car to go around you.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#434  Edited By Mouse

@skullcrushermountain: Thank you, I'll take your advice for next time. I didn't have a mic tonight to communicate which is why I played it very safe. Still learning the game mechanics, and the rear-view mirror makes cars look small even if they're only a second back, so I just gave way in the straights. By the next race in two weeks I will feel much more comfortable (and should have the F2000).

The track we raced on probably wasn't the best for my first run either, but I didn't want to wait until next time. :)

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mouse: Yeah, that track's the worst :) Just practice, practice, practice. I probably had about 5-6 hours of practice on this track this week, and was still spinning out once in a while.

midnight_cook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436  Edited By midnight_cook

@mouse: It was my second race with the giant bomb league and my eighth overall - you did great on a challenging (due to the narrow layout) circuit. You certainly didn't need to let me pass though as we were on the same lap! See you next time.

GateKeeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#437  Edited By GateKeeper

interested in joining, I've sent an invitation request :)

Avaren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm interested in joining! Will be filling out the forms and applying on the site :D

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#439  Edited By trace

OK, I've just scheduled a sort-of-insane pair of races for Friday Night Thunder, so it's best I take a moment to give everyone time to prepare with appropriate warning.

We're doing a doubleheader on NASCAR ovals. It's F1 vs. NASCAR Gen 6 vs. CTS-Vs, first at Bristol for 100 laps (no full-course cautions), then at Charlotte for 50 laps (with full-course cautions). Yes, I could have chosen Daytona, but I wanted at least one of the tracks to be included in iRacing's base package, and Charlotte was the best fast-track choice.

I'll give two bonus points to the top finishers in the two classes that don't win the race for Bristol, and use bonus points to score the Charlotte race as if it were an F1/NASCAR/CTS-V multi-class race, since it's far more likely the F1 will win outright there. Since I'm aware some of you care quite a bit about the points battle for the Friday Night Thunder championship, this may be a time to strategize.

Hopefully we'll have at least one formula car and one stock car attending. I'd hate to have set these races up without a proper battle to definitively prove which is better. Perhaps declaring which car you're running if you're dead-set on a class would be helpful.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#440  Edited By Dark

@pseg: Cmon PsEG, why you no Dallara? D:

samuraigarrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is it, guys. This is the moment PsEG has finally lost his damn mind. And I couldn't be more excited!

I'll at the very least be in the Gen6 for both races, but I'm seriously considering buying the F1 for this mad, mad experiment. In that case, I'll probably go F1 for one and NASCAR for the other, but I would need to test and see if I can even tame the F1 beast first.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#442  Edited By Dark

@samuraigarrin: Using the F1 will enable you to sit on the high line to go around the gen 6's but in all seriousness ... its gonna be 2 awsome rubbin races.

::EDIT:: BTW, I will most likely be F1n'ning it. I have been waiting for this moment with so much anticipation, you have no idea.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ford Fusion for me! :D Also THAT IS A LOT OF RACING in one day.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pseg: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWESOME. I've already got my livery guy whipping up something special for my F1 car :)

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet I can show off my GB2013 F1 livery. I don't really get to otherwise because I'm way slow for the F1 series.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@datarez: Well, someone has to come last. That someone is usually me.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dark said:

@pseg: Cmon PsEG, why you no Dallara? D:

I'm waiting for the proper current-day DW12 with space-tech bumpers in the rear before adding it into any of our races.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pseg: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWESOME. I've already got my livery guy whipping up something special for my F1 car :)

Is it this one? You should make him paint this one.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slowbird: That'd be kind of a dick move trying to get that by Friday :) I'm having him create me a Kimi Lotus livery, in my black/purple/gray scheme :) With Aurahack's logos, too. I'm psyched!

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#450  Edited By trace

Yeah, in case any of you missed aurahack's fuckawesome contribution to Formula Duder, here it is:

It's absolutely killer. Combined with B0nd07's classy winged bombwheel and Davy's amazing promo video, we're gaining a really nice thematic style for the league. It's inspiring as hell for me, and I have all of you to thank for it.

Also, I know that Formula Duder logo is GIGANTIC on the first page, but right now? Man, I just don't care. We'll resize it later. It looks nice.

EDIT:OK, I resized it already. Couldn't live with myself being so reckless with donated logos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.